Rear Seat Belts............

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Rear Seat Belts............

Post by jerryd » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

While waiting for some paint to dry :wink: I played around and fitted some Defender rear seat belts into the Dormobile. They seem to work okay and the fittings all slotted into place as in the defender, but I'm wondering if they will foul on the curtains ?? I also noticed that the straps don't seem to be very long and restrict movement for passengers.

I also have a set of rear belts from a dual cab and these bolt directly to the floor, they also seem to be longer and would be more comfortable for passengers but there would be a bit of cutting of metal involved to make them fit. Also making a trim panel fit round them would be more difficult :stars:

Has anybody else fitted these in their dormobiles ?? Any tips / advice appreciated
Attachments
Photo3208.jpg
Photo3201.jpg
DanC

Re: Rear Seat Belts............

Post by DanC » Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Mine had floor mounted ones when I got them, but frankly they weren't safe so I removed them... I have been thinking about what to put in, but it isn't urgent with just two of us.. How did you fix the top brackets?
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Jerry,

It will probably work okay, although your front curtain may overlap the doorway. Obviously, my rear seats (of which there is now only one) does not have a seat belt.
Curtains.jpg
How do folks have there front seat belts anchored? Pictures would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 pm

DanC wrote:Mine had floor mounted ones when I got them, but frankly they weren't safe so I removed them... I have been thinking about what to put in, but it isn't urgent with just two of us.. How did you fix the top brackets?

The bracket fits exactly as in a defender, there are two bolts that go through the roof gutter / roof assembly and one that goes through the door pillar. I removed the door rubber panel before fitting this bolt so it's hidden, the bracket was also drilled so the panel could be refitted with it's four bolts. It certainly seems safer than a lap belt :cheers:

Ian, have you fitted an extra overhead cupboard ?? any pics ??

I've fitted defender belts to the front of my dormobile which work great :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian » Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Jerry,

I added an extra cupboard in front of the spice rack. It was a pain to build due to the curvature of the roof. :banghead:
If you are making one, make the vertical pieces first and then add the horizontals. The spice rack has sliding perspex doors that are held closed by a knob that screws into the metal and through the doors.
Cupboard.jpg
Cheers,
Ian
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Looks good Ian :cheers: Is that a timber trim you've fitted to replace the plastic item ?? Do passengers bump their head on the extended unit ??

I made a deeper version of the spice rack cupboard so that it can hold a full dinner set, I've just refurbished my original kitchen unit too. I had it sandblasted and have painted it to match my other remade furniture,I also made some heavy duty lids that one can stand on to hop into the bunks. I've also been playing around with the inside of the unit and have made a slide out drawer unit. I thought this might be an easier way to stack items. Underneath the drawer unit is the water pump, the external hot/cold shower unit and a space for a compressor.
The drawer unit is fixed to a cover which is held in place by four screws, so access is easily available. I'm just about to plumb in the water which could be fun :cheers:
Attachments
Photo3444.jpg
Photo3424.jpg
Photo3440.jpg
Ian

Post by Ian » Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 am

Hi Jerry,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I just got back from a 10 day, 1500 mile road trip in my Dormbile to Flagstaff Arizona along Route 66 to the Overland Expo. More about that elsewhere once I've downloaded all my pictures.

I did indeed replace the plastic trim with wood - it looks so much better and everyone seems to agree. Nobody has bumped their head on the new cabinet but I have. You get used to it and the extra space is welcome. It replaced a crude version that was already there and fell off when I was working on the interior. I have the scars to prove it.

Nice work on your interior. looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Cheers,
Ian
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 am

Ian wrote:Hi Jerry,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I just got back from a 10 day, 1500 mile road trip in my Dormbile to Flagstaff Arizona along Route 66 to the Overland Expo. More about that elsewhere once I've downloaded all my pictures.
Ooh, yes, pics please :bow:

We've been in that areas a couple of times on holiday - Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming and even dipped into Montana.

On our last trip we did around 12 National/State Parks and 5k miles in 5 weeks, and of course, sections of Route 66 :stars:

It's my favourite area of the USA :cheers:

Looking forward to the pics :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am

jerryd wrote:
DanC wrote:Mine had floor mounted ones when I got them, but frankly they weren't safe so I removed them... I have been thinking about what to put in, but it isn't urgent with just two of us.. How did you fix the top brackets?

The bracket fits exactly as in a defender, there are two bolts that go through the roof gutter / roof assembly and one that goes through the door pillar. I removed the door rubber panel before fitting this bolt so it's hidden, the bracket was also drilled so the panel could be refitted with it's four bolts. It certainly seems safer than a lap belt :cheers:

Ian, have you fitted an extra overhead cupboard ?? any pics ??

I've fitted defender belts to the front of my dormobile which work great :wink:
Jerry,

Do you have some pics of how you mounted the seatbelts to the floor? I bought a set from exmoor trim and they come with these square anchor plates. Would that be enough to mount them onto the floorpanel? Or do I need to fix them to a member under the floor?

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi Michiel,
I've kept the defender rear seat belts in mine as in the first and second pics, the actual seat belt assembly is fixed to that black metal plate and is covered by that grey plastic trim.
My original rear seat belts were just bolted to the rear wheel arch with a metal plate sandwiched between floor -washer - nut, so maybe that's how the Exmoor Trim ones work also :shrug: