Lunch With Arthur Goddard..........

Please post any events or shows here.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Lunch With Arthur Goddard..........

Post by jerryd » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:09 pm

A few members of our "slow club" had arranged a lunch date with Arthur Goddard :gold: , news soon spread and this has now become quite a huge affair with lots of folks gong to attend making it a weekend event on the 27th June :woohoo: I'm also led to believe that an article will be done in a magazine.
I'm really looking forward to meeting the land rover god :bow: and having a chat, if you could have a five minute chat with a land rover engineer what would you like to throttle him about :whistle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Goddard_(engineer)

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/my ... YbEu7vAJ9A
Peaceand

Re: Lunch With Arthur Goddard..........

Post by Peaceand » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 am

That sounds amazing, you are lucky to have tracked him down!

I suspect he's heard almost all the questions I can think of before, but I'd be quite interested to know if he agreed with the changes/refinements that the 2a (Or even the 3) brought into his design.
And to keep it on the topic of campers, I wonder if it was happy coincidence that a 109 tub is long enough for an average height person to lay down and sleep in?

At a show years ago I met a chap who worked for Searle, making Carawagons. Unfortunately the email address he scribbled for me didn't work so I don't have any way of contacting him. But it's a very rare opportunity for owners of 'classic' cars to get to discuss things with their designers and makers. I hope you have a good time!

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14 am

We had quite an amazing day with the legendary Arthur Goddard, for a man of his age he is certainly on the ball and he told us some great stories and answered all the questions thrown at him

I wanted to know what his most memorable moment would be.......his answer ..... getting the queen's bottom measurements correct for the seat in the rear of the HRH 1954 Land Rovers. I won't go into detail of the event but I think Arthur and Phillip really hit it off :laugh: :gold:

Here's a few pics, I'll put some more up when I receive the reporters article and pictures.
Attachments
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie 1.jpg
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie 1.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie 2.jpg
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie 2.jpg (101.88 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie  3.jpg
Arthur Goddard - Mulgowie 3.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Here is a little taster of the upcoming story regarding our club.....

http://www.lro.com/news/land-rover/1507 ... nd-rovers/