Rushden Cavalcade last weekend

Please post any events or shows here.
DrivingDutchman

Rushden Cavalcade last weekend

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sat May 09, 2015 10:31 pm

We went to the Rushed Cavalcade last bank holliday weekend. Had a lovely time. Stood with the classic campers.
Here are some pictures. We tested the dormobile for the first time for a few days. I had built in the heater that performed really well. I had also built some new overhead cabinets in Dora. The original spice rack I had taken out and replaced with a much wider version of wood after the model of Jerry in Australia. I also made 2 more of the same size as the original to be positioned above the second row doors.

1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Marque

Re: Rushden Cavalcade last weekend

Post by Marque » Sun May 10, 2015 5:59 am

Well done that man & family. Very taken with the shrunk Bedford Van parked to your left.

I hope your family enjoyed the event.
Kindest regards
Mark
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun May 10, 2015 9:41 am

Yes, very well done Michiel - I know it's been a long time getting ready, but I'm glad you enjoyed your few days away in your Dormobile.

Perhaps you might like to join us at Billing this year, under your own power this time, and camp with us instead of leaving it there as a showpiece (for which we were very grateful :bow: )?

By the way, glad to hear you are pleased with the heater :cheers:
Where did you fit it? I know one or two others who bought the heaters from me for a Dormobile and have asked for advice on the best place.
Not having access to a Dormobile, I couldn't really help them.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:24 pm

I was flicking through those photos, and i'm interested by your setup for seatbelts in the back, it looks like you have an extra steel bit to mount the reel on, and then hooks in the floor for the clip bit? Is the steel bit a standard item, (I guess the nice looking trim panel over it is?), and have you just got a big spreader plate under the floor hooks?

Thanks, :tiphat:

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun May 10, 2015 11:55 pm

Robin,

I have post a write up in the technical section with lots of pictures of the heater installation here:http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/viewto ... f=17&t=935

Cheers,

Michiel
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 am

AntMan232 wrote:I was flicking through those photos, and i'm interested by your setup for seatbelts in the back, it looks like you have an extra steel bit to mount the reel on, and then hooks in the floor for the clip bit? Is the steel bit a standard item, (I guess the nice looking trim panel over it is?), and have you just got a big spreader plate under the floor hooks?

Thanks, :tiphat:

Ant

Hi Ant,

I have use standard Landrover Defender items for the seatbelts in the rear. The reels are anchored to a metal bracket. These brackets are the standard ones used in the Defenders. They fit exactly the same in the series 2 and 3. I butchered the trim that normal goes around the rear windows. Still need to finish it off in a nicer way, but it is all work in progress.
The bottom of the belt goes onto another standard bracket I bolted to the bracket of the seats. This is not ideal, but I could not find the bars that go under the front of the wheel arch like on the Defender. I know you can buy them, but I want to find cheaper 2nd hand ones. The hooks I bolted through a rib under the floor with a few big washers underneath it. I assumed the rib is enough spreading for the force in case of a collision.
I will post another write up for the seatbelt soon with pictures.
I hope this gives you an idea of how I have done it. Jerry has done the same in his. That's where I got the idea from.
The seatbelt themselves I bought of eblag and they are the exmoor trim ones. They were new, but opened boxes.

Cheers,

Michiel
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Michiel, Looks like fun had by all at the show :cheers:

On the cabinets I made I put a 20mm aluminium angle around the face of the cupboard, this was to stop them "drooping" with age. It also gives a stronger fixing for the hinges to be fixed through the aluminium. Something you might want to consider.

I find the defender seatbelts work great and are a great improvement, but shutting the curtains can be tricky sometimes.I bolted the seat belt into the sill section to keep it all straight. I've got a plan in mind to finish the plastic trim pieces which will be moulded into a piece behind the curtain tracks :stars: Watch this space .........

Here's a couple of pics of the units "work in progress" You can see the aluminium angle on the painted locker
Attachments
Photo3657.jpg
Photo3657.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
Photo3655.jpg
Photo3655.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the tips on the cabinets Jerry...

I might just do the angle bit on the big cabinet. It is great by the way that all the plates and cups fit in the big one now.
Still need to make a cutlery drawer under the cooker. I have the tray and the la bits, just needs fitting. Ahhh, so much to do still.... :shakehead:

But first sorting the defender out for its imminent MOT next month... :aaagh:

Cheers,

Michiel

PS... I have to give you the warmest regards from Colin and Rose. They stopped your place a few years ago with their series 3 109 while traveling around Australia. We are in the same local landrover club in Northamptonshire, the ENLROC.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

Hi Michiel, Please say hello to Colin + Rose and give them my regards when you see them next :cheers: Tell them I still haven't done the engine conversion .....nor finished the house :whistle:

I can't believe it's nearly three years since they were here, they must be due for their next trip.

Link here for them - http://colroseoldagetravellers.blogspot.com.au/