Dormobile Roof Fasterns

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Marque

Dormobile Roof Fasterns

Post by Marque » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:31 am

Good morning Ladies & Gentlemen.

I would appreciate your advice.

I have what appears to be a prior owner modification to the roof (as per images attached). On both sides a “rail” has been placed down the side of the roof.
It is starting to rust & I need to get it off, remove the rust, prepare & potentially refit.
1. What size foot fasteners did Dormobile use?
2. What material are they made from (brass)
3. Where do you suggest I source replacements for the non hinge & hinge side please? An enquiry has been sent to Dormobile direct in case they are willing to help.

If I do go ahead then gel coat will be disturbed. Do you offer a gel-coat repair “kit” as well?

The central internal lifting handle. Also rusted will undergo the same treatment.
4. What size & type (i.e material) of fasters were used originally for the lifting handle?
5. A well recommended supplier would be greatly welcome.
Please accept my apologies for the obvious questions.
Kindest regards
Mark

Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Dormobile Roof Fasterns

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi Mark

The fasteners on my roof where mainly either 2BA or 4BA and made of brass. Cannot remember sat here at what bolts were used to hold the lifting handle, but can look in the morning.

Not sure what you mean by "foot fastners"

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:26 am

Mick.
Sorry foot should read roof.

M.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:28 am

Mark,

Dormobile Ltd should be able to provide replacement catches for the LHS and hinges for the RHS. The picture of the LHS shows the original mounting points for the catches which were mounted on the stand-off bracket. My guess is that a P.O. had a pull-out arrangement for an awning but it must have been very flimsy given the diameter of the tubes shown.

Regards,
Ian
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:59 am

Confusion here?

Mick is talking about fasteners in the sense of nuts and bolts

Not sure if Mark is refering to the method of fastening the roof down safely

If the latter, Dormobile UK show some metal fastening arrangement for £40 which can be purchased on ebay for half that, or some had rubber things like bonnet fasteners (lightweight etc)
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 am

AlexB wrote:Confusion here?

If the latter, Dormobile UK show some metal fastening arrangement for £40 which can be purchased on ebay for half that, or some had rubber things like bonnet fasteners (lightweight etc)
I'm pretty sure I remember our new family VW Dormobile in 1972 having rubber 'catches' like THESE :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 am

I've used these on my pop top, excellent quality and adjustable. I found the rubber type do not last very long in the aussie heat. I had a set holding my bonnet down but they soon perished :shrug:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-Toggle ... 2a3d9efbc6

Dormobile sell new stainless hinges for the folding part of the roof, they seem designed especially for the job :tiphat:
Calum

Post by Calum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:40 pm

I would go to Protex for any fasteners like those overcentre catches. I know these were the original suppliers to Carawagon and I would assume Dormobile too :cheers:

http://www.protex.com/
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:57 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trailer-Parts ... 1c51811d55

these look like the ones you have and also the ones that Dormobile sell

I have used these on all my Dormobiles (2 x 109s and a 110), but have no idea if they were / are original. Dormobile did use a variety of stuff dependant on what was to hand and how much it cost
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 am

Thank you Gents. You have answered my poorly specified question. I was originally referring to the brass screws trhat kept the hinges on the roof. However I originally neglected to expand my query to the actual hinges. Thank you for providing a more expansive answer than I originally expected. You have answered my questions.
Thank you too for the protex & ebay links.
Kindest regards
Mark