Wanted: Dormobile roof rack

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
Landerley

Wanted: Dormobile roof rack

Post by Landerley » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Hello All,

I am looking for a Dormobile roof rack for a Series, either an original or one that closely resembles original. I would like the shorter version that does not stick out over the windshield.

Thanks for the help,

Lawrence
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Wanted: Dormobile roof rack

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi Lawrence

I guess you have seen the ones I make? http://lrbits.co.uk/ I can make you a shorter rack if you cannot find one. Let me know exacly what you want.

Cheers Mick
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Has anyone got a side on view of these? Just wondering how far forwards they come. Just pondering using one of these, or taking the full rack off the 88" and adding brackets to the front bumper.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 pm

RobW wrote:Has anyone got a side on view of these? Just wondering how far forwards they come. Just pondering using one of these, or taking the full rack off the 88" and adding brackets to the front bumper.

My Dormobile has a Brownchurch expedition roof rack fitted from new, I find it really useful for carting stuff around (sheets of plywood, plasterboard etc.) and camping gear when we go away. It means the vehicle stays clutter free inside which is handy when you stop for a tea break or lunch :cheers:

Don't have a side view pic but this should give you an idea.
Attachments
007.jpg
007.jpg (152.84 KiB) Viewed 8781 times
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Jerry - Any problems seeing traffic lights etc when it's loaded? I have to duck slightly to see through the windscreen at the best of times!
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 pm

No problems at all with vision Rob, in fact I find the front uprights of the frame really useful when off roading as I know exactly where the corners are when tackling tricky terrain and vision is blocked by the spare wheel.
Attachments
photo 7.jpg
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Landerley wrote:Hello All,

I am looking for a Dormobile roof rack for a Series, either an original or one that closely resembles original. I would like the shorter version that does not stick out over the windshield.

Thanks for the help,

Lawrence
I have one made by Jabbawocky. It is just like the original and big enough to be usefull and small enough to have plenty of viusion for the trafic lights etc.
Quite pleased with it I have to say.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:14 pm

HI Rob
Has anyone got a side on view of these?
Where you asking about the racks I make? if so, you cannot see them when sat normally. Even with a roof box bolted to it, which stuck another 6" forward ,I couldn't see it. You can forget it's there and I know this because I very nearly crashed the top box into the roof of a sun shelter at a canteena in Spain. It was only because Whiteknight drove in first and ripped the legs off the firepit on his roof, that made me remember my top box.

Lots of pictures of one of my Dormobile racks in use here http://www.dormobile.org.uk/phpbb/viewt ... f=34&t=719

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 pm

I do like that roof rack Jerry. Very useful. Is it strong enough to act as a sun deck (if boarded) ? I think 75KG was the max loading. regrettably I am over that weight/

M
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Marque wrote:I do like that roof rack Jerry. Very useful. Is it strong enough to act as a sun deck (if boarded) ? I think 75KG was the max loading. regrettably I am over that weight/

M

Hi Mark,
I've used the roof rack to collect heavy building materials, a mobile scaffold platform at work, stow camping gear when we go away and it's the perfect place to sit when we go motor racing. :gold: