Hello Land Rover Dormobile - wanted (operational or project)

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
Marque

Hello Land Rover Dormobile - wanted (operational or project)

Post by Marque » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:57 am

Hello

May I introduce myself? My name is Mark Barnes. I am looking for a Land Rover Series Dormobile (with Dormatic seats). I have had the priviledge to visit AlexB & the green Dormobile but it was predictably snapped up before I could offer (cab rank rule being applied). That said, may I thank Alex for his time & wish the new owner all the very best of times with the vehicle.

Hence I am still looking for a Land Rover Series Dormobile (with Dormatic seats). May I therefore request if anyone is considering a sale, or knows the whereabouts of a loved / unloved vehicle that they contact me. I would really appreciate the assistance. I am actively scanning autoscout / ebay / LRCC & this forum. However word of mouth is often much more effective. To that end I have reached out to a number of forum members already to trace / attempt to trace vehicles. So far, everyone has been very helpful which is very pleasant indeed.

May I thank the forum members for past posts, as I have learnt a significant degree from them. I especially favour the trip reports. So when the happy day comes, I hope to be a bona fide member (with wheels!).

The progress so far is detailed here:

http://www.dormobile.org.uk/phpbb/viewt ... =31&t=1181

Kindest regards
Mark
07887 850 428
RMS

Re: Hello Land Rover Dormobile - wanted (operational or proj

Post by RMS » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for joining us on here.

As you have probably found, Dormobiles are in rather short supply, though it can be a bit like buses - none for ages then two turn up :stars:

It's a shame you missed out on Alex's - that was a well sorted and well proven Dormobile.

I see Jerry is helping keep an eye out as well - I'm sure there will be other folk on here who will let you know if anything comes up.

Meanwhile, good luck with your search - it will be well worth it in the end :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:50 am

Welcome across Mark :cheers:

I managed to find a couple of pics of the "Perth Dormobile" I mentioned. I'm pretty sure Jock (another aussie) on here knows or knows of the owner and maybe could give contact details or make contact if needed. I do have a contact number somewhere :shrug:

It might be worth enquiring what it would cost to ship to the uk and go from there as the original asking price was about $2,500.00. If I remember correctly it was driven from the showroom to oz where it received it's first service, then used by a builder I think, then backpackers, then abandoned. It has had the motor / gearbox rebuilt or overhauled recently, there is rust in the door frames but ther are four replacement doors in vehicle.

Might be something to think about over a cup of tea, or you could fly over and drive it back :tiphat:
Attachments
IMG_0366.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg (57.38 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:02 am

Now that's a great idea Jerry - I'm sure Mark could find somebody willing to drive it back from Australia if he hasn't got time :whistle:

Might even be an opportunity to do a bit of exploring with Jock - I could only spare a couple of hours with him the last time we were there :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 am

Hi Robin, I'm pretty sure it would make it as I was told all the mechanicals were done. Would certainly be a good trip.

I'd love to park it on my drive too but I have too much on my plate with building my house and other projects :stars:

ps. I'm still trying to get you a copy of "The Leyland Brothers" dvd. Having difficulty with it but am now waiting to try and copy a copy !!
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Jerry,

I'm sure it would :cheers:
Even if it means carrying a few spares, anyone with some mechanical knowledge and experience of Series LR should be able to make a journey like that, given enough time.

Although I wonder how cost-effective it would be these days, compared to shipping?
Border crossings, ferries, bribes, visas, fuel etc. would all eat into a budget, though of course, there's the experience itself which would be priceless I would think :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Jerry D
What a cracking idea. Let me do some research on shipping / duties etc. If you have the contact details of the owner then I would like to make contact & enquire about the vehicle.

My email is mark_barnes_uk@hotmail.com

Kindest regards
Mark
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Thank you for the welcome Gentlemen. Much appreciated.

For JerryD I did a quick search on www.ebay.co.uk re the Leyland Brothers. It would appear a lot of the DVD's appear to be available.
I hope the link works..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

All are sourced from Australia.

JerryD - do you know if the Blue Dormobile has a full set of Dormatic seats?

Kindest regards
Mark
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Shipping quote submitted. I should have an answer in 48 hours.
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Mark, I'll make some enquiries this end and will email Jock too, I'm sure it has the dormatic seats fitted but possibly the cooker or wardrobe missing. It's been a while since I saw all the photos, I'll check whether I still have an email from the owner with all the details.
It would certainly be worth following up and I'm sure it's still for sale to a good home.

Re the Leyland brothers, they were the first pair to cross Australia from west to east in 1966. The problem I'm having is recording it to the correct region,as Australian dvd's won't work in the uk :stars: Here's a link to give an idea of their epic adventure :tiphat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPXKKFnhqdQ

http://www.landpoint.it/?page=107&sub=1&q=321