Hello Land Rover Dormobile - wanted (operational or project)

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
AntMan232

Re: Hello Land Rover Dormobile - wanted (operational or proj

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm

I am sure I am not the only member here who has had issues in introducing a Dormobile to the other half.
I didn't have that trouble, but I don't think Mum was too impressed when it turned up on the drive, blocking the way out for other vehicles for a day while I gradually winched it up the drive with a tree puller... :gold:

Or when I took up the parking space in the garage/barn for the Metro so I could work on it.

Or when I took up the other parking space (for the VW) for my new chassis... :laugh:

I notice your nice new boingy has "Tdi" written on the side, are you sure you aren't relying upon a learner driver to accidentally cause the vehicle to need replacing, so the engine can be purloined...? :neener:

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:11 pm

I've already got the 300tdi motor ready to drop in the dormobile , but having this one parked outside means I know where everything should go when I do the swap over :tiphat:
Attachments
Photo4151.jpg
Photo4151.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Ooooooh, shiny!! :gold:

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 am

Gentlemen, thank you for your support. Things have been very touch & go of late on a number of fronts. That said, fate will lend a hand I hope.

I tend to have long spells working at home, & then long spells away 5 nights a week (or 7 if abroad). 3 months to 2 years at a time depending on project. I am investigating with work if, whilst in the UK, I can get a sensible per diem rate that is HMRC approved to be tax & NIC free. I will live in the vehicle Sun - Friday. So I have some researching to do if this is feasible.

The theory being is that this will fund the works that need to be done. There is a significant number of works, and they will all get done in time (very quietly). So you may well see a Dormy near Gatwick or in Sheffield before Christmas, if Donkey remains with me & the project(s) come off.

Jerry - I wish you all the best with the new purchase. I am sure you & your son will have a whale of a time in it.

Kindest regards
M
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Mark,

That sounds like a plan, if you can pull it off :cheers:

I know a guy down in Surrey who has used his ex-military Carawagon in a similar way for several years, living in it Monday to Friday working at a Rural Life Museum then driving home every weekend.

If you do decide to use it in this way, there is some modern technology which might come in useful: a solar panel to keep your battery topped up, and possibly a cab heater for the winter.

Patrick & I both have 80W solar panels on our Carawagons - that is a good compromise in size, power and cost.
In sunlight they put out around 7A, and even on a cloudy day they put out a useful charge.
Cost is around £75 plus about £12 for a simple controller (around £20 for one with digital display) plus some heavy gauge wire to connect up.

If you are interested in a heater, see THIS THREAD. I'm about to place another order for 10, I think :whistle:

Of course, if you could get an electrical hook-up where you are sited, that would make life a lot easier over winter :tiphat:

Hope it works out.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am

Robin

Thank you for the suggestions. Very good ideas. :gold:

Given where I am with the plan, I doubt I will be able to immediately execute any purchases presently. That said, they have been added to the list. Wife is still trying to execute me, so I had better not give her any more ammunition.

I would be interested in any additional tips / comments that pop up regarding long term use. Either way this is a cracking vehicle. I am researching my end in any event, as this is still very much a plan...

Fingers are crossed every day.
Mark
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Another tip for winter use Mark, if you get that far :wink: - if you've got butane (blue) gas bottles, swap to propane (orange/red).

Butane tends to stop vapourising at low temperatures - around 10C springs to mind but it can vary, whereas propane continues to vapourise at well below freezing point.
Important for that first cup of coffee/tea in the morning to get you warm after a below-freezing point night!

You'd need to make sure the propane bottle fits your holder(s) - on the Carawagons, Camping Gaz 907 (2.7kg butane) cylinders fit the holders perfectly - swapping to propane 3.9kg dumpy bottles means cutting the holder to open it out a bit more - I'm not sure about the Dormobile arrangement :shrug:

You also need a propane regulator to suit the bottle - around £5.00.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Mark,
I've tried to do a few sneaky upgrades on my dormobile but keeping it looking along the lines of "original". As they are so rare over here I don't think anybody would notice anyway. There are a few posts in the technical section with a few pics here and there, but unfortunately most of the pics I have are still on my old broken computer :stars:
A few things I've improved to make ***** star accommodation :laugh:

The seat box mods were a great improvement for storage and soundproofing.
A deeper "spice rack unit" above cooker now houses a four person dinner set + cups etc. Also made two lockers above rear seats. These house the switch plates for lighting, fans, fridge, tv, water pump, compressor etc. The lockers also have led lighting fitted underneath units.
A deeper and wider wardrobe unit, can house the fridge and stores the table. Also has tv/dvd player fitted to end panel.
The kitchen unit now has a spring out drawer fitted, so easy to get to the baked beans now :eatin:
External shower fitted , 42 litre water tank / pump, filtered water to the sink.
Defender front and rear seatbelts fitted, I still have to finish the trim panels around the rear seatbelts though.
I'm now making a compartment for a small gas bottle which will be accessed through a little door, under the rear light area. The original gas bottle arrangement wasn't legal here without lots of $$ to get it certified so I removed it.

I still have lots of things to complete, but each job I've tackled has made camping a bit more refined. :tiphat:

A couple of pics of my trial locker construction to give you an idea
Attachments
Photo3659.jpg
Photo3659.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Photo3655.jpg
Photo3655.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks Robin & Jerry for the pointers. I am blue bottled at present. Not an immediate issue as I expect to be close to the office if the plan works...and therefore close to warmth etc. & of course work.

Simply put, for the immediate future, I am cash constrained. So it will be small jobs only. Nothing new there...

I will post a question regarding grease nipple "gun" sizes in the proper place. I look a full photo inventory with Jon as he took me round the vehicle to describe typical features & maintenance. Given my current situation I have not delved into that information, but the images are up on the following link:

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/mark_ ... 20Handover

Hopefully you'll see Donkey in all her glory. Only the bulkhead lower door hinges concern me presently. But if is you see anything of interest please call it out. I do have a list of jobs to address, FWH adjustment, brake fluid drain, Servo fit, check & Hella UP32 install, Rad 3 core replace, 4 core install, rear window channel replacement, Steering box lower seal check etc. Rear oil seal leaks (engine out, rad replace, timing check, seal replace, clutch check/replace, soundproofing install). After that it is purely cosmetic.

Given this is my first & last LR that is quite a bit to get hold of. But with help I can manage it. Powers that be permitting.

Either way I have been reading the Series 2 forum with keen interest. As well as keeping a low domestic profile.

Fingers crossed
Mark
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Mark, I would be really interested to see photos of the modifications you have done, in particular the seatbox storage and lockers. Is there a thread anywhere with photos already? I would also love to know how you do with relocating the gas cylinder, as I have had ideas about putting an LPG tank under the drivers seat, so that might be an idea for relocating the gas.

Good luck!

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile