Good location for the leisure battery in the dormobile.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
DrivingDutchman

Good location for the leisure battery in the dormobile.

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Right, here we go. I have a question about where have you good peeps put your leisure battery?

I think I may have found a good spot, but would like your opinions about it and maybe better solutions.
I thought it could go here.
Could I just strap it down or do you peeps think I need to fabricate some sort of bracket for it. My mud shield and footwell are solid and sound.
I wanted both batteries in the battery box under the passenger seat, but that is not going to fit unless I do something similar as Jerry. I thought this would be the next best solution?
Comments please...

Michiel

Ps I do have a special plastic battery box that would fit in there with the battery in it, but without the lid.
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
DanC

Re: Good location for the leisure battery in the dormobile.

Post by DanC » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Sorry Michiel, I have a four pot so one is under the bonnet and the other under the seat... Mick Jabbawocky has one in the rear behind the second row seats...
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm no expert in these matters, but would it cause any trouble with fluid/plates having it at an angle like that? If upright though, looks like a good spot for things!

I had a look for various storage spots on mine not so long ago, it's all annoyingly split up by outriggers underneath. There is a bit of room under the floors, down as far as the chassis rail (or slightly further if you so wish) where I reckoned one could put a box and some storage, but it probably isn't deep enough for a battery. Second best is probably under the seat, as you say.

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 pm

AntMan232 wrote:I'm no expert in these matters, but would it cause any trouble with fluid/plates having it at an angle like that? If upright though, looks like a good spot for things!
Absolutely no problem at all with Optima batteries (that's what it looks like).
Spiral plates, hence the rounded sections you can just see, filled with gel means they can even be fitted upside down

It also means they can be fitted on their side, so could be fitted under the floor :cheers:

:tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 pm

My preference is the place in the picture as it is out of the way. Robin is correct, it is a yellowtop optima battery, thay can be fitted at any angle. I allready had checked if there was romm in the batterybox to fit it on its side, but still not enough space :cry: . So next best thing would be on top of the footwell and the mudshield.

But my main concern is this. is it a good place in terms of MOT etc. Will it fail on where the battery is located?

I can just strap it down where it is now. Or should I fabricate a construction so it sits upright and looks neat?
I guess cables would also be easy to run from this position. I need a power connection in the rear of Dora for the fridge. I think that will live between the wardrobe and kitchen. It will move to the tent when we pitch up. I'm looking for a Khyam easy erect drive away awning to go on the backdoor. So will have to make a outside socket as well for the fridge. Don't like cables through the doors etc. Affects the doorseals and the cable.

Anyway, if it is no issue for future MOT's, I'll strap it onto the footwell and go from there.

Michiel
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I can't see any reason for it to be an MOT issue - as long as it is secured so it can't fall over and short out in an accident then it's not an issue :cheers:

Steve has his yellow top securely mounted, but exposed, under the floor of his Carawagon and also has his Eberspacher under the floor.

As you know, anything which can be mounted outside of the camper leaves more space inside - every bit helps :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm

RMS wrote:I can't see any reason for it to be an MOT issue - as long as it is secured so it can't fall over and short out in an accident then it's not an issue :cheers:

Steve has his yellow top securely mounted, but exposed, under the floor of his Carawagon and also has his Eberspacher under the floor.

As you know, anything which can be mounted outside of the camper leaves more space inside - every bit helps :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
Do you know where under the floor? If there is a better place so I have shorter cables to where my fridge is going to be, the better.

Michiel
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 pm

To be honest, I can't remember exactly where his battery is, other than it is underneath.

As far as I remember his Eberspacher is next to his overdrive towards the passenger seat, so perhaps his battery is on the other side :shrug:
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:20 am

Hi Michiel

As Dan has said, I have my battery in the back to keep the cables as short as possible. I now have two specially made boxed behind the rear seat, which are the correct height to support the rear seat backs when in the bed position (I would recommend this if you are over 10 stone). One has the leisure battery inside and allows us the store the outside chairs on top of it when the seats are in the driving position. I also have a mains charger mounted inside the cooker unit, but have not used it in years.

I am very happy with the system we have and have no plans to change it, except to fit another socket so we can use the fridge in the rear awning. Had the socket for a couple of years, just got to remember to do it!!!

My split charge is a £10.00 30 amp caravan type self sensing split charge unit and it seams to work very well. There are lots of expensive split charge units aimed at 4x4 owners. most of them are just big relays, which connect the batteries directly and can result in very hot wires and a flat start battery. Much safer to keep the systems completely separate.

Mick
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Well you learn something every day! Thanks for the explanation, I don't really know much about batteries (or Land Rovers for that matter...), so its all interesting to know. :tiphat:

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile