night heaters.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
tuggy
Info: 101 overlander

Re: night heaters.

Post by tuggy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 am

ok found a problem with the night heater it was smoking quite a lot so i got the makers to send me a new heater element it arrived and i fitted it but it still smoked.. :banghead: .so had a word with the guy and he is going to replace the unit then as i was checking it over i found some damage on the underside it has been damaged in transit or its been dropped in the factory and sent out like it... :shakehead: ...so i have to take it to preston to get it changed....not happy.... :rant:

RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Brad, I have sent you a couple of Eberspacher technical manuals by email to Jane's address.

I don't know if it will help, but hope so :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Oh dear Tuggy, that doesn't sound good!

Let us know what the replacement is like, won't you.

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
tuggy

Post by tuggy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

ok been to pick up another heater from preston today, Took the original unit up and when i got there he bench tested it..... so very smokey he reckons theres something loose inside causing it to drip diesel onto the burner....anyhow he had just had a shipment of new units from china all stacked on a pallet so he took one and opened it we bench tested it and it was perfect so i had one out the box ....so quite happy... :mrgreen: ....but not happy i am having to faff around.... :banghead: ...200mile round trip today..... :rant:
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm

That's good to hear - apart from the round trip!

At least he bench tested it for you. It would have been pretty bad if you'd got another one home and found it faulty.
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:22 pm

G'day chaps, not good about the round trip and the price of fuel but from what i have seen from pictures anyway the unit is quite self contained but i am always skeptical about things made in china at a much lower price as with compressors and generators up till now they don't last or can't be repaired but that's just my experience of the latter items mentioned :shrug: .

My eberspachers when used and maintained on a regular basis have paid for themselves many times over and i have been well satisfied with them camping out in bitter cold weather for long weekends away leaving it on all night and day probably due to me having the two batteries in the back ''12volt'' helped matters i suppose.

Robin thanks for that it is as you know appreciated so i will have a word with janie and probably sit down and try and have a read :cheers: .

Catch you later. Brad :tiphat: .
tuggy

Post by tuggy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 am

well after 2 years of running the truck i have only ever serviced it once... ...so this week i have noticed an oil drip on the drive and the battery was a bit weak on start up so thinks i better take a look.... .

found the crankshaft pully oil seal has given up and there is play in the water pump.. ..so off to craddocks....trying to get a water pump for a 2.4 VM not easy but got one from craddocks... ..

still waiting for the log book to come back from DVLA so i can tax and MOT it.....
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:56 am

G'day chaps, while the rain is lashing down and i have not ventured out into my garage to still try and find some sort of organization although i am getting there i wondered if there is a contortionist out there not just to get in the back of my 109 camper to take out two batteries that need a clean up check and trickle charge but also come up with a better idea of getting at my eberspacher :shrug: .

Unfortunately when i first fitted the sink draining/board and double burner from a caravan i decided to mount my then working eberspacer underneath the draining board and boxed it in using self tappers shortened with the point taken off and with in some occasions spy clips.

Unfortunately i am not so bendy now so need to make an access point from the outside of the body a bit bigger than the eberspacer itself so i can at least take it out get to the flexy pipes that run to the cab area and one to the stainless dog bowl that acts as a collector to the rear of the body that has a vent to open and shut so the cab warms up quicker before setting off.

I have no spare ambulance locker doors and i don't think a standard locker top would be big enough however if anyone has a Gerry can holder that fits in the side of the truck i think this will do :shrug: any ideas advice would be gratefully received also if you need pictures to give you ideas like i said a contortionist to get in the back would be good :thud: and you think i am joking. Catch you later. R-Rose :wine: :tiphat: .
tuggy

Post by tuggy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

ok just an update... :whistle: ..... been ill over the last few months turns out i have type 2 diabetes so not had much energy and things have come to a halt but after a month on medication a good diet i seem to have a bit more energy and i have been getting on with it.....log book has come from DVLA at the 4th attempt so its now imported into the UK it passed its MOT last week so i can now use it... :woohoo: ...fitted a new water pump last week and a new header tank so all ready to fit the cab heater tomorrow and then next week i will mount the belly box and plumb in the night heater.....ok watch this place for pictures i will post when it all done.... :nana1: ...
tuggy

Post by tuggy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 pm

So today i finally got to plumb in the heater and fit it i cut an elongated hole in the bulkhead and passed the 2 hoses out the back of the cab and into the engine bay then connected into the engine cooling system,
I had raised and fitted the new header tank so no syphen problems when it was run up and topped up with coolant everything bled perfect and instant warm air... .. well pleased with the result .
So put some new door seals on to keep the draft out ran it for a while and it gets quite warm.... ....so next job is to box in the header tank and fit the rear night heater....next week....