Re: night heaters.

Post by AntMan232 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Looks a bit like a jet engine!
Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:12 pm

AntMan232 wrote:Looks a bit like a jet engine!
Ant
And sounds like one too :whistle:

Best to make or buy a silencer for the exhaust - I made one for Patrick's, but mine is currently sans silencer and the neighbouring campers know exactly when I've put mine on in the morning :neener:

Here's the one I made for Patrick's:
Simply some expanded steel made into a tube, welded to stub pipes at each end, then wrapped in fibreglass roof insulation. That is then wrapped with thin steel plate, seam welded and cut, shaped and welded at each end to the stubs.

His is a lot quieter than mine :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DanC

Post by DanC » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:02 pm

That's the beauty of propex, very quiet...
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
tuggy
Info: 101 overlander

Post by tuggy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:11 pm

as you say it sounds like a jet engine.. :aaagh: ..but saying that i am going to mount it in the belly box and the thin plywood that was in the packing i think i will line the inside so it gives some kind of noise suppression ...... :whistle: got to see how it all works out its a design and build so lets see how it goes..... :shrug:
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:22 pm

tuggy wrote:as you say it sounds like a jet engine.. :aaagh: ..but saying that i am going to mount it in the belly box and the thin plywood that was in the packing i think i will line the inside so it gives some kind of noise suppression ...... :whistle: got to see how it all works out its a design and build so lets see how it goes..... :shrug:
No point in trying to soundproof the box Tuggy - it's the exhaust which is noisy!

The unit itself and the ducted hot air fan are quiet.
If you fit an exhaust silencer you don't really know it is on inside the vehicle, apart from that warm flow of air from the duct and a faint jet-engine whine from outside :gold:

Yes, I did look at Propex as well, but the Eberspachers came along first so that's what I got.
I wouldn't have minded a Propex, although it's probably easier to keep track of how much Diesel you have than guessing how much propane you have in your bottle :shrug:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 am

G'day chaps, i have fitted the eberspachers to my trucks for a very long time having one in my 88 diesel and one in my 109 camper that,s a 24volter but that is for the truck i have however fitted a 12volt system in the rear for the camping side of things with a separate alternator charging the two standard 12volt batteries in the rear.

I have however now got a problem due to it not being used for a while years :whistle: in fact when i came to run her up she would not fire up just smoked with the unburnt fuel choking you if you were to close outside so i decided to check to see if i had power and took out the igniting plug then turned it on to see if it glowed :thud: well it worked after i had cleaned the soot off but then my fingers began to smolder and burn :aaagh: realizing this i dropped the plug which ended up shorting the unit and blowing the fuse :embarassed: .

Not a problem i thought so i changed the fuse i then realized i had fitted a larger fuse than should be fitted :shakehead: so she now will not complete it's cycle and turns off :banghead: i have replaced the magic silver box but still it will not fire up so anyone have any ideas please as to a service check guide :shrug: .

Due to my health issues have i have little feelings in my hands hence the burning and i have know got new glasses which is a bit late now so any help would be appreciated :wink:

Catch you later. R-Rose :cactus: .
WhiteKnight
Info: Wagons, ho!

Post by WhiteKnight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 pm

romanyrose wrote:G'day chaps, i have fitted the eberspachers to my trucks for a very long time having one in my 88 diesel and one in my 109 camper that,s a 24volter but that is for the truck i have however fitted a 12volt system in the rear for the camping side of things with a separate alternator charging the two standard 12volt batteries in the rear.

I have however now got a problem due to it not being used for a while years :whistle: in fact when i came to run her up she would not fire up just smoked with the unburnt fuel choking you if you were to close outside so i decided to check to see if i had power and took out the igniting plug then turned it on to see if it glowed :thud: well it worked after i had cleaned the soot off but then my fingers began to smolder and burn :aaagh: realizing this i dropped the plug which ended up shorting the unit and blowing the fuse :embarassed: .

Not a problem i thought so i changed the fuse i then realized i had fitted a larger fuse than should be fitted :shakehead: so she now will not complete it's cycle and turns off :banghead: i have replaced the magic silver box but still it will not fire up so anyone have any ideas please as to a service check guide :shrug: .

Due to my health issues have i have little feelings in my hands hence the burning and i have know got new glasses which is a bit late now so any help would be appreciated :wink:

Catch you later. R-Rose :cactus: .
Top banana :nana1: Only you, Brad.

You tin of rice pudding :roll: (cold, naturally)

That's why we all love you man! :gold:
tuggy
Info: 101 overlander

Post by tuggy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm

No point in trying to soundproof the box Tuggy - it's the exhaust which is noisy!

yes i agree.. :tiphat: ...but the whole thing sounds like a jet engine....so put it in a box and i am pretty sure it will magnify the sound...so i think every little helps....as tesco would say...... :stars:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

G'day chaps, i was rushing this morning and see i have made some mistakes so sorry about that but the thoughts of having my dressing changed on my ulcerated leg after yet another fall i just was not thinking as i should :stars: but i guess i never think straight anyway due to being in a world of my own in what i call my museum often known by some as a junk yard :whistle: .

I have found today what looks like another two heaters one being a 12volt the other a 24volt so maybe i might just be able to change things around if i hadn't already years ago when i was using my 109 camper for visiting off road events where i had to be there before 8 in the morning to either help set up or sign in for marshaling so as getting out of bed is a struggle i found it best to already be where i wanted to be sat in front of my cooker watching the news while people froze outside sometimes in deep snow which i didn't mind because half of the people took the mickey out of the way i am and what i do with my trucks so i guess i had the last laugh.

From what i remember eberspachers are supposed to be serviced once a year and run on clean diesel so maybe me putting unwanted diesel in my eberspacher tank did not pay off as the gauge that surrounds the heater plug blocks up solid so the atomized fuel cannot pass through and ignite :shrug:

Your views please on anything that you think can be done to help me without spending a fortune which i no longer have :wine:

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: . PS sorry Steve but i hope to speak soon or maybe share a tinny :cheers: as the dressing has just come off so i am off for my lass to sort me out :shakehead: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Another mistake i missed and it is the word gauze that the atomized fuel is blown through and even then i might not have phrased it proper but i know what i mean sorry :whistle: R-Rose :tiphat: .