Cookers / Stove Reviews

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Stuey

Cookers / Stove Reviews

Post by Stuey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm going to do something on OLLR with ref to cookers and stoves as I have quite a few now! So therefore, I thought I would copy and paste it over here as I know that some of you don't visit over there! Anyway, here we go:

Buying the No2 cookset the other day at LATP made me realise how many cookers / stoves I actually have! So what I thought I would do was have a review of each and everyone, giving them points on the Stuey rating. Let's face it, most of us are using them either to cook on whilst away camping or whilst stopping for a brew whilst out greenlaning. Some may be good for one purpose, whilst being absolutely bobbins for something else. Hopefully, these reviews maybe able to help you out, first up will be the Jetboil:

Jetboil

Like it implies on the box, it boils water quick, when tested it boiled 450ml of water in just under 3 minutes, probably the quickest of any of my stoves. The new updated model to my own is now branded the Jetboil Flash, not much difference in operation to my 1st generation version with the exception of a safety feature so that you cannot accidentally turn the gas on whilst stowed and a heat indicator that shows when the water is boiled / coming up to temperature. I've only boiled water in my own, as it's only been used when I'm out and about with the motor to make brews.

Some facts and figures:

Cost (Cotswold camping) £105

Fuel cost £5 (230g)

Packed size 185mm x 107mm x 107mm

Assembled size (without stabliser) 107mm x 107mm x 310mm

Assembled size (with stabiliser) 180mm x 180mm x 310mm

Assembly time (old version) 20 Seconds

Assembly time (new version) 35 Seconds

Preparation time N/A

450ml Boil time 2minutes 50 seconds

1L Boil time N/A

Packed state:

A small enough form factor that can be easily stashed away. The burner and gas bottle are normally stored inside the cup, which sometimes can be a problem if not dried off properly as rust marks will appear at the bottom of the cup like so:

Contents:

Clockwise from top left: Lid, Burner assembly, Cup, Gas bottle, Stabiliser feet.

Stabiliser feet were not standard with mine, they were given to me by Gadget as he had 2. The lid has a hole in the centre which you can utilise with an optional cafetiere assembly. I love my coffee but I've never felt the need to purchase a cafetiere assembly as it would dirty the inside of the main cup and be something else to clean out.

Fully assembled:

One of the features is that it's got it's own piezo ignition so lighting is a doddle, however I did break one so my recommendation would be to carry some other lighting implement just in case. The cup fits and fixes to the burner assembly, it's OK when new however the base of the cup can become dented proving to be a bit of pain to fit.

Even though the cup has a 1 litre capacity, the max safe fill is just under halfway down the cup (aprox 1 US pint, 450ml)

Pros

Small form factor, quick to boil, built in lighter

Cons

Expensive, Gas cannisters can be a pain to find, Bends to easily

Overall

Nice and handy to have in the back of the motor when greenlaning / stopping at the side of the road, makes a brew quick enough and quick to assemble. I got mine new off of a friend who had won it in a raffle, I've seen them second hand for £10 -£20, however if I was buying one full price, I think I would give it a miss.

Jetboils at Cotswold here

Stuey rating: 7 out of 10
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
RMS

Re: Cookers / Stove Reviews

Post by RMS » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Very interesting Stu.

I can't wait until you get to the real ones - paraffin/petrol pressure stoves, oh, and lamps :cheers:

What about a review of Icey's trench burner - that's scary but impressive :aaagh:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Those look like epi-gas cannisters? Used to be easy to get, and also came in 2 mixes depending on what altitude you were going to use it at.
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 pm

RobW wrote:Those look like epi-gas cannisters? Used to be easy to get, and also came in 2 mixes depending on what altitude you were going to use it at.
I have found them a pain to get hold of, only seem to be sold in the bigger camping stores nowadays. Out of all the cookers I have, this one is probably the hardest to get fuel for. Not as easy as say the cheap blue disposable canisters, the 90* series of campingaz bottles and definitely not as easy to get as petrol or meths!

Rangie

Post by Rangie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I can't wait till you evolve to the real gear :neener:

I have a broad selection of Army No1, No2, No3, No12 beasties along with the tamer Optimus 111, 111T, 22, 8R, 71's etc.

Careful, paraffin/white-gas stoves and lamps are dangerously addictive!! :whistle:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Not up to your range, Alec, but heres a selection of mine:

I've got another couple of Optimus tall stoves and now another lamp :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Good stuff guys :nana1: :nana1:

Anyway, here is the next review:

Trangia

Today, I'm going to go through an old favourite of mine, the Trangia. This particular one I must have had for 17 years now and all through those years it hasn't given me one single problem. It's simple, cheap to run, light and relatively small for what you get, little has changed since it's first introduction in 1925.

The basic cooker runs on methylated spirits and there are 2 sizes, the 25 and the 27. The 25 is supposed to be for four people, whereas the 27 for 2 people. Nevertheless, what comes in the basic kit is the same, the only thing that is different is the size. The kit includes 2 pans, 1 frying pan and an optional kettle. Kits are available with or without the kettle, the inclusion doesn't change it's packed size, it's just slightly more expensive. If you get one without the kettle, there is always the option to buy one later, however I fully recommend one if your making a lot of brews.

The burner itself uses methylated spirits, in which the pot takes about 100ml and will last for 25-30 minutes, I use about 20ml to boil a pot of water. Lately, Trangia have added a other optional burners (Gas, multi-fuel) to their range, I've never bothered with these as the thing that attracts me to the Trangia is its simplistic design. If we were away camping and space was a premium, I would take the Trangia.

Some facts and figures:

Cost (27)(Cotswold camping) £55

Cost (27 with kettle)(Cotswold camping) £65

Fuel cost £2-3 (500ml)

Packed size 110mm x 200mm x 200mm

Assembled size 160mm x 200mm x 200mm

Assembly time 1 minute 10 Seconds

Preparation time N/A

450ml Boil time 5 minutes

1L Boil time N/A

Packed state:

A bigger form factor than the jetboil, however what needs to be taken into consideration is that it also includes 3 pans and a kettle! Shown with optional fuel bottle, a sturdy item and designed for easy filling of the Trangia

Contents:

Top row, left to right: Base, windshield, 1 litre pan

Centre Row, left to right: Kettle, 1.1 Litre pan, Frying pan (Non Stick, optional)

Bottom Row, left to right: Spirit burner, Simmer ring, Handle

The smaller of the pans has graduated marks on it:

Assembled:

Shown with Kettle

Shown with frying pan

Simmer Ring:

The simmer ring can sit on top of the burner, to regulate the amount of fuel coming from the burner. Alternatively it can be used in the fully closed position to extinguish the burner.

Pros

Cheap to run, simple, complete cooking system.

Cons

Bulky

Overall

A good all rounder that would be at home in the back whilst out Greenlaning or at base camp cooking dinner. It's simple design means not a lot can go wrong, and fuel is pretty cheap although meths is not as common as it once used to be.

Trangia at Cotswold here

Stuey rating: 8 out of 10

RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 pm

This review by genem of OLLR fame on another stove:

Here is a Review of the MSR "Pocket Rocket". I've got two. One lives in the vehicle with my brew kik, cans of soup etc. The other lives in walking kit. I think they are the bees Knees.

Cost Expect to pay about £30.

Fuel Cost Depends on the canister size. The mid-sized C250 is about £5. The little C100 is about £3.00 The C100 lasts me easily for a weekends camping.

Pack size - Comes in a triangular plastic box roughly 5cm wide by 10cm long.

Assembled size 9cm x 15cm when sitting on a gas canister.

Assembly - Less than 10 seconds.

Prep - N/A

Boil 450Ml 2 min 25 seconds. No wind, pot with lid, 30/70 Butane/propane mix canister.

Pros - It only weighs 86 grams and with the little C100 canister packs down to nothing. Very fast boiling, controllable to an extent by the side mounted valve. For walking I pack it inside an MSR cooking pot with food, folding Swedish army cup, lighter and a spoon. Job done. In the landrover it lives in the cubby box with the bigger C250 canister.

Cons. Needs a separate cooking pot, cup etc. In windy conditions it might need sheltered behind a rock or similar.

Overall - I really like this little burner. Well made and does the job really well at minimum weight.

(Robin on S2C forum)
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Great idea, keep them coming, I will do mine as and when I use them :cheers:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:28 pm

I have about 12 paraffin stoves :gold: I remember a scout camp in the snow a few years ago, when it was so could the normal gas stove wouldn't light. Much to my leaders surprise, my primus 00 came out the bottom of the bag, and made a nice cup of tea... :woohoo:
1965 Series 2A Dormobile