Hello - Edinburgh Series 2a Dormobile

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Wildwoodflower

Hello - Edinburgh Series 2a Dormobile

Post by Wildwoodflower » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Kathy, I live in Edinburgh and I have just become the (very thrilled!) owner of a 6-cylinder 1968 Series 2a Dormobile. I've hankered after one for years and it was entirely by chance that I came across her - laid-up and needing some love - when looking for a 109 Station Wagon.

I'd just sold our Series 3 '88 - a 200Di conversion which had cheerfully taken the children and me on adventures through Europe and the Scottish Highlands as well as being our everyday motor - for with the children slipping into their teens she was just too small for all of our kit and any friends we would like to take along, too.

The Station Wagon hunt had led me to the fascinating sheds, garages and garden ornaments of a gentleman Land Rover enthusiast way out in the sticks on the West Coast. It was here, sitting under a tarpaulin, that I discovered her and the gentleman offered, quite unexpectedly, to sell her to me.

Now, I'm not a mechanic but I have spent enough time crawling about under Series Land Rovers to have a fairly good idea of what is what and it was apparent that she was in surprisingly sound shape, with no corrosion issues around the bulkhead or front end of the chassis, but probably needing a new rear quarter chassis and springs. It so happened that the owner had a new, galvanised 109 sw chassis ... and that's when the madness took hold of me.

So, here we are. She has been recovered now to dry store and next weekend I shall be surveying in much greater detail with a mechanic friend and taking some pictures - and totting up what it will cost to get her back on the road, ideally with a 200Di in place of that lovely-but-thirsty 6-cylinder.

In the meantime, we're still without an everyday motor ... but that's Land Rovers for you, right?
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Hello - Edinburgh Series 2a Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 pm

HI Kathy

Welcome to the forum and very we done for finding such a wonderful vehicle. We have a 1971 6 pot Dormobile and she has taken us on several adventures, so far! She was a complete shed when I got he, but they all fix. The 6 pot engine was a really lovely motor, but our was burning a litre of oil every 50 miles, so unfortunately has been replaced with a 300 tdi.

Here is ours when we found her 6 years ago.

And now

Camping in France last spring, showing our setup.

Cheers Mick
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of classic campers :cheers:

As you'll have seen from other posts, there are a fair few Dormobile owners on here. Many, like Mick, got theirs as complete sheds but are now using them for intercontinental trips :gold:

The 6 pot is a lovely engine, but so thirsty - I've heard it said that the V8 is more powerful and less thirsty, so the 6 pot really is a bit of a dinosaur.
Patrick (my son, peaceand on here) had 6 pot in his Carawagon when he got it as a project, but as its first trip once restored was a 5-6000 mile jaunt to Morocco, we decided it had to be a 200TDi (almost 40mpg compared to 14mpg :aaagh: )
However, he still has the 6 pot in his garage, waiting for the day when he thinks he can afford to run it.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures, and progress reports :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Wildwoodflower

Post by Wildwoodflower » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you, guys.

Our Series 3 averaged 36-37mpg - it had a 200TDi without the turbo, overdrive and freewheeling hubs. It was great engine, if a little noisy. I'll think seriously about leaving the turbo in place if we fit one to the Dormobile.

As for the work required, we will just have to see how much needs doing. After all, I went looking for a sorted 109 with a galvanised chassis - not a Dormobile restoration!
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 pm

I still wonder why there are (were) so many Dormobiles in Scotland.
My latest came from there.

(now undergoing a re-incarnation as a 1965 series 2a from the rust bucket series 3 that it was)

whereabouts was it in scotland?

Welcome
Wildwoodflower

Post by Wildwoodflower » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally registered in Selkirk, the last owner apparently bought it in Glasgow. So, no, it seems not to have strayed too far - although 46 years there's no telling where it has been!
Troika

Post by Troika » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 am

Hi Kathy,

Good to see another one appearing.

I am beginning to believe a great many more Dormobiles have survived,albeit not currently running, than some of the numbers bandied about suggest.

G.
Wildwoodflower

Post by Wildwoodflower » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 am

I promised pictures and here they are. I'll post a more comprehensive set in the My Vehicle thread if anyone is interested.

I spent a good deal of yesterday crawling around and getting a proper picture of what sort of condition she is in and what will need doing. The chassis possibly could be salvaged - but at enormous effort and seeing as I have also acquired a galvanised chassis from Richards a swap is the best way forwards. The bulkhead needs attention in all the usual places, but can certainly be saved - and galvanised, too. Axles seem okay, but swivels will need to be replaced, likewise all suspension and brakes. Drivetrain and engine remain unknown, although she was laid-up when the clutch went. Last on the road in 2003.

Amazingly, all the interior Dormobile kit remains with her - Dormatic seats, cooker/sink unit, closet, water container, fold out step/seat and folding table.

The canopy is in surprisingly good order and everything works, although the glass has been stowed below due to the seals being shot and threatening to dump it from a great height. No cracks at all in the fibreglass roof.

The clock shows around 76,000 miles - which may well be correct, judging by the low level of wear.

[
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:08 pm

fantastic
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes, that's certainly a good find, with all the original kit :cheers:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)