Roof box design

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Roof box design

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Have seen the chequerplate boxes on ebay and I am making a similar toolbox for my Forward Control at the moment, but out of mild steel sheet. Making a similar box for the Dormobile would not be a problem, except it would be to heavy. Alloy could be the answer, but after reading all the posts, I think if I do make a box, it would have to be white Fibreglass to match the roof.

As for roof bags, yes, they look the part. We did buy one and had a go with it. Compared with a proper roof box, it was very hard work and was passed on to Lowebox.

As for wood. It's a great material, but to make a quality waterproof roof box that would cope with living on top of a Land Rover for years, would not be cheap by the time you have bought decent materials and the labour involved in making it.

The end result will probably be not much different from the plastic roof box I have started with!!

Cheers Mick
Troika

Post by Troika » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 pm

A wooden box with curved top, brass corner reinforcements and matching, lockable securing latches, painted in oxblood faux leather could be my next option, similar to the type of trunks the landed gentry might have used on the Grand Tours.
DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Now you are talking Graeme!
Attachments
photo[42].JPG
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm

DanC wrote:Now you are talking Graeme!

That looks the goods, might last longer over here than in the uk too :neener: I thought about making one purely to keep bedding in, I was thinking along the lines of something like Robin's but maybe a bit shallower and not quite so erm........"something to put the mother in law in " :whistle:
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm

jerryd wrote: That looks the goods, might last longer over here than in the uk too :neener: I thought about making one purely to keep bedding in, I was thinking along the lines of something like Robin's but maybe a bit shallower and not quite so erm........"something to put the mother in law in " :whistle:

Ah, I did say it was that size just for the Morocco trip as we wanted to put the porta-potty in it without separating it.

When I get around to it, I will take about 6" off the height, so it won't look quite so 'in-your-face' :cheers:

However, the point I made was that even fully laden for expedition, with that big roof box on, we still averaged nearly 40mpg while the other Carawagons with identical engine and running gear with smaller boxes were in the low 30s, consistently!
So, that size, shape and design must be ok, don't you think? :gold:

You wait - when I chop it down and put it back on, I'll bet the fuel consumption will go up? :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
wienun

Post by wienun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 pm

I didnt find a decent box with the right dimensions till now.

So i will have to go either alli or wood and create a box myself. Alli would be more weather resistant, but i cant weld alli.

Wood would look the part and would be easier to build for me. Expences for decent wooden panels and proper varnish will be an issue, then.

Sigh !

Stefan/wienun
kevanf1
Info: LR 2a Marshall bodied ambulance owner.

Post by kevanf1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:28 pm

What about using a square or rectangular box so that you get max depth along the whole of the box. Then, make up some form of windjammer like some lorries have on the front?
wienun

Post by wienun » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Would be best spacewise.

Might look ridiculcous, wouldnt it ?

Cheers

Stefan/wienun
kevanf1
Info: LR 2a Marshall bodied ambulance owner.

Post by kevanf1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 pm

wienun wrote:Would be best spacewise.

Might look ridiculcous, wouldnt it ?

Cheers

Stefan/wienun
Possibly.... I suppose it depends on how it was made though. How about a nice chequer plate design :laugh: Yes, that is a joke!!!! I am not an aerodynamics engineer (or even any sort of engineer) so I don't know what would work best. I'm jsut throwing an idea into the ring simply because it seems to work on HGV's etc. Maybe not so big though?