300tdi Conversion.........

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

300tdi Conversion.........

Post by jerryd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm nearly ready to start my engine conversion, but after having recent gearbox woes I'm debating whether to purchase a short shaft LT77 gearbox and the 5 speed conversion kit from Ashcroft Transmissions in the uk. Cost wise it will be about the same as having the original gearbox rebuilt.
I've convinced myself that it would be a better option long term, so I'm just wondering if anybody else has has done this conversion and can give any helpful advice.

I also want to fit the defender power steering unit at the same time, so again any advice,tips,pics etc would be a great help.
Thanks in advance :cheers:
Flo109
Info: 1972 109 LR Marshall Ambulance Camper

Re: 300tdi Conversion.........

Post by Flo109 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi Jerry
I'm sort of in the middle of a conversion myself with a 300tdi,( ex disco engine).
The driverside engine mount will have to be removed,
The webbs on the engine mounts have to be trimmed up! and on the engine back plate!
i've redrilled my 2a gearbox bell housing to suit the engine back plate( i made a cardboard template of the R380 bell housing), it might be easier to change the back plate.
i've still not finnished it!... time and weather causing problems.
I'm sure you you will get some more advice, hope this helps.

kind regards
Mark
smirf
Info: carawagon

Post by smirf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

the flywheel housing off a 12j will mate between the 300tdi and series gearbox. of course you use the oil seal from the 12j and all is well. have got all parts gathered up for a 300tdi into my carawagon? i still havnt made up my mind wether to leave the 2.25 petrol in or swop for 300tdi? :shrug:
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi all

I have had a 300tdi in my 2a dormobile for the last 3 years. As she was a 6 pot, I had to move both mounts so opted for the Disco mounts. I would consider doing this on any conversion, as Tdi can vibrate badly on the series mounts. As for bolting the Series box to the engine, you only need to remove one stud from the RH side of the engine and reuse it by drilling and tapping the center bottom hole.

With regard to using the LT77 instead of the Series gearbox. I have so far broken 3 gearboxes. I have broken the mainshaft, broken a layshaft and smashed a synchro hub. All of these could have been down to the bits been 40 years old, but I personally think it is the combination of the power of the Tdi and the fact that my Dormobile weighs nearly 3 tons.

I am not a great fan of the LT77, because the early units were rubbish, but the last units were much more reliable. If you look at Ashcrofts website, he explains which units to use. I am also thinking of going this direction, next time my Series box plays up. The only problems being the cost and making it fit neatly. I do hate butchered interiors on Series .

As for the engine, watch the 'P' gasket and the core plugs. Both are rubbish. Make sure you have the later type cam belt tensioner and swap the plastic bleed plugs in the coolant system for brass plugs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Mick
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm still undecided which gearbox to use so haven't started the conversion yet :shakehead: I was hoping to find a good secondhand LT77 gearbox with flywheel housing but they are like rocking horse poo over here. However I've just found a fully rebuilt Series III Gearbox for a $1,000.00 so I'm leaning towards this at the moment, it's just a long way away down south.
Decisions, decisions :stars: