Hello From Leicestershire

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
scruffylandie

Hello From Leicestershire

Post by scruffylandie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi everybody! Bumped into you guys at the Overland Show this year and was most impressed with your Carawagons and Dormobiles, and the friendly banter about all things Land Rover and adventure.

So, we own a 1967 Series 2A 109" ex Wiltshire Fire Service hardtop which we have equipped with a Brownchurch roofrack, roof tent and awning. We went for the Brownchurch kit as it was 'retro' and seemed to fit with the style of the vehicle and gave us the look we were after, as well as doing the job of keeping us warm and dry, and carrying all our kit...essential as we spend a lot of our time holidaying in Scotland! Not managed to get abroad yet, but we're working on it!

Picture attached (hopefully!) which shows the truck in all it's glory.

Hope to be able to update you with pictures of trips and more details on mods to Geoffrey (the Landie) in the near future.

Thanks for reading!

Copy of landy.jpg
Copy of landy.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
RMS

Re: Hello From Leicestershire

Post by RMS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 am

Hi, and welcome :hello:

Yes, I was there along with Steve, Philip & John so it would have been us you spoke to :cheers:

Good to see you joining up here - look out for the shows next year and possible trips, here and abroad :gold:

Let us know a bit more about your vehicle - is it the original engine and have you done anything inside for cooking etc. or do you do everything under the awning?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
scruffylandie

Post by scruffylandie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Robin,

The 109 (Geoff) is always being changed inside, currently it's just got a large storage cupboard built behind the bulkhead which was built around the use of plastic storage boxes from IKEA which we use for food and general gear and clothes. I've built a shelf unit into the roof space behind the cab with two small areas for maps, CD's, books, first aid kits etc..

I use a 3 way fridge (gas, 12V 240v) currently, until I get around to getting a 12v low energy one, it's mounted above one of the rear wheel arch lockers with storage for quickly needed stuff like the mash kit for most important tea stops and pegs for the awning etc..

In the cab we just have a metal cubby box for security.

The 109 has been upgraded over the years, when I bought him he no longer had any of the fire service equipment, just all the holes in the floor where the equipment was mounted! It was fitted with a 2.25 petrol ex mod recon engine. I kept it like this for a number of years and toured the west coast of Scotland, Wales, Exmoor in fact alover the UK.

In the last 3 or 4 years we have fitted a 200TDI, currently with no intercooler but I have a Renualt 5 turbo item I think I can install without major cutting into the body, and a Legs Transmissions high ratio transfer box. in the last year we have had the main gearbox rebuilt by Ashcrofts along with the high ratio 'box which is fantastic if expensive. :bow: I have fitted an aluminium finned tranfer case cover which helps bring the temperature down on long motorway runs.

We also had fitted Rocky Mountain springs and ES9000 dampers with all new bushes in the chassis and shackles. I was not sure about the change to parabolics as I had heard many stories of pure quailty and bad tracking and ride after but I'm very happy with the way it drives now, the old springs were well worn and rust blown and the fronts were almost flat!The ride height was a bit high at first but after some use it settled.

I run 7.50x16 general super all grip radials which I find are very good in most conditions and look right on a series truck.

I have a twin battery setup in the extended passenger seat box with a national luna split charge unit powering 12v sockets in the rear, lights and the radio.

We have recently moved house so we have not had the chance to use it or play with it in fact the only show I got to this year was the overland show, once we get the new house in order and I build a new garage to work in we can't wait to get away and get on with our other project, a 1969 Triumph GT6 mark 2 which we would like to turn into a replica Le Mans Spitfire but with a 2 litre staight six! :gold:

I will upload some pictures of Geoff and trips soon, when we have unpacked the hard drive from the boxes!

Cheers :wine:
Alpinerover
Info: AlpineRovers.com

Post by Alpinerover » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:04 pm

:hello:
Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello and Welcome.
Scotland is a great place to go to on hols, travelled a lot further over the water on the wrong side of the road, but still cannot find anywhere as nice as the Outer Hebrides. (Possibly warmer).
Cannot wait to be driving my Series IIa Dormobile up to Mallaig to catch the ferry out there.(one day)
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello from the bottom of Derbyshire.
To infirmary and beyond!