Camper heating and electrics

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Camper heating and electrics

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Dan

If we had not been building an extension on the house, we would have used the Dormobile more this year and with the summer we have had, the heater would have definitely been fitted. I have a D1 Eberspacher and it does just fit under the seatbox, next to the batterybox. The idea is it sucks out of the front passenger footwell and blows into the rear passenger footwell. The whole idea of this is it will blow hot air under the double bed. Keeping my lovely wife warm and very happy. need to get the fuel supply sorted and a couple of bits of air pipe and she will be a go'er.

The 'making a brew' before bed does really work well at warming the Dormobile and is adequate if you do summer camping or have lots of jumpers. Louise does have a hot water bottle in the Dormobile.

As for the toilet. There is just enough room to squeeze a porta potti between the filler and the rear wheel. Been in for 3 plus years and never yet been hit by the rear wheel. As said above, this is essential for happy family holidays and there is enough room in the rear of the vehicle to use the toilet when the bed is made up. Very useful for stops on the 'Aires de Service' in Europe.

Cheers Mick
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 pm

....'and a couple of bits of air pipe and she will be a go'er '...now then Mick, keep it clean :wink: Mine seems to go alright without sticking a couple of bits of air pipe in 'er.

I'll get me coat..

J
DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply's, not 100% sure about the porta potti as yet... Don't want to cut the rear arch as the Dormi is so original but we shall see (I need to have a look at yours close up Mick).

I was going to buy a caravan heater that was advertised in Carlisle, but someone beat me to it on my lunch hour!! Currently looking at Propex and other gas fuelled heaters, although ultimately would would like a petrol powered one of some description. It isn't really a case of being hard or otherwise, as some of you will know, Mrs Dan hasn't had a good year health wise and I need to ensure that when we go camping she stays nice and toasty.

For the next year it will probably be serviced campsites so the loo thing is less of an issue. The actual most important thing is new door seals!!!! and I have just given myself a hell of a fright pricing them up...lol

Brakes will be fixed on the weekend so will be having a run out!
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm

H Dan
Don't want to cut the rear arch as the Dormi is so original
Barney was 100% original when she arrived and I have restored her as close as it was possible at that particular time. I have made a couple of changes, simply because my wife insisted on a certain level of comfort. In my opinion, the wheel arch modification does not detract the originality as it is hidden under the wardrobe.

The only other mod to the interior is to the wardrobe. I fitted two doors instead of the single door and fitted shelves. As for the rest of the interior. I re-manufactured the trim to original spec. Louise made the curtains to match the original curtain tracks and studs. Our bunks were shot and we did quickly make up some new covers with the strongest canvas our local fent shop stocked. They are fine for our 5 year old, but will need changing eventually.

Like others on here, I have fitted a Tdi. I salute every enthusiast that runs their LR's 100% original, but I am not that type of enthusiast. My Land Rovers are not historic hobby vehicles. They all work for a living and have all had their engines changed for more efficient units. Dormobiles are heavy vehicles when loaded for a trip and the world has moved on since they were originally designed. We have all got a little softer and require a higher level of comfort and this increases the weight of the vehicles, which in turn makes the original engines even more obsolete.

Thinking currently of fitting a different power plant and a 5 speed gearbox, but I have always said the series gearbox is the heart of Series vehicles and removing it is a decision I will not take lightly. Saying that, our next holiday will be 2000 mile plus and I don't want the trip spoilt by a major mechanical breakdown ! Decisions, decisions!!

As for having a look, you are very welcome to have a look anytime you are in the area. Would be nice to see your truck.

Cheers Mick
DanC

Post by DanC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

As I am sure you know Mick, I am of the school of 'do what you want to your own vehicle' and find modified vehicles really interesting. I have to admit that for the first time ever, I am feeling the weight of originality and history with this one.... I will get a look at yours and cherry pick a few modifications ;) The 2.25 is running at 55mph without effort currently, so I need to see how it is loaded and will fit my good overdrive to this rather than the 88" (anyone got an extended 109" lever). I will fit a heater though, for Karen primarily and once I get a wardrobe in I will look at the remaining space and how to use it.

I am with you on one thing though, all my Land Rovers work as well, including the Dormi that I expect to earn its keep... I am factoring in the extortionate cost of petrol in these calculations and next years trip will be a one off probably and nearly ties in with my 40th..... The other two are diesel, so save me a few bob!!
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Not sure what you mean re the extended 109 o/dlever Dan

Mine is standard. It is just in a slightly different angle than the 88, unless you mean the 6 pot bracket that fits on thegearbox? (mine had a choice of 2 holes)
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I too thought it was only the 6 pot which needed the extended bracket, to move the lever further forward in relation to the box (which is further back in the 6 pot).

As far as I know, the 88 & 109 4 pot use the same bracket & lever.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DanC

Post by DanC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Oops, my mistake!! Does anyone know how badly the overdrive handle affects the sleeping position?
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:39 pm

No idea in the Dormy, but in the Carawagon we just push it forward in to neutral or "engaged" as the middle seat squab sits a couple of inches further forward when made up as a bed.

Problem is remembering when you come to drive away :stars:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 am

DanC wrote:Oops, my mistake!! Does anyone know how badly the overdrive handle affects the sleeping position?
not at all. If anything teh handbrake is the one - you have to ensure that the drivers seat is forward to fit teh rear seat as it droips into place, but the hand brake restricts it. slightly

these are incredibly well thought out designs. There arent any major flaws. Things that you have to learn - order to do things etc, keeping teh seatbelts out of the way when changing bed to seats again, that sort of thing