Rear Awning

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Rangie

Rear Awning

Post by Rangie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:02 am

Hi folks,

Does anyone have pics handy of the rear awnings on Carawagons?
Specifically the tubes/frame/mountings.

I am planning to construct similar for the rear of my 109 daily driver for handiness.

Do the rear knuckles where the curved section attaches to the slidey section have sockets for optional poles as well?

Hmm, ideas are forming :mrgreen:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
RMS

Re: Rear Awning

Post by RMS » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Alec,

I'll try to remember to take some of mine when I've caught up with work - too many shows & trips :whistle:

I made the awning poles for Patrick's and for mine as neither had them fitted (they were a Searle option).

I used 1" square thin-wall tubing as I had a load in stock, so not exactly original, but does the job.

The tubes inside the roof are normally only about 3' long and supported with a bracket rivited to the inside side of the roof. The problem with that design is that when you are pushing the poles back into the roof, if you've got things stuffed into the pockets they get in the way. I used 40mm plastic waste pipe for the inside tubes and made them the full length of the roof so the poles slide all the way in without problems.

As I say, I'll get some pics of mine and hopefully someone with an original set will help out as well.

If no-one else comes back I'll try to take some at our next show (this coming weekend at Peterborough) as we'll have 6 Carawagons there and at least 3 of those have original poles :cheers:

Oh, I do remember that there are no corner poles or sockets on the original sets - I have seen a centre vertical pole to take the weight when the awning is on, but that might have been a later addition and normally they are self supporting; when fully pulled out there is still about 2' inside the supporting tubes in the roof.
There are 'sockets' in the back of the roof and the middle of the curved section for the centre horizontal pole though.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Chaps (This greeting also includes Ladies of the opposite gender) :hello:

I fancy creating a rear awning and side tents for my Marshall ambulance.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
To infirmary and beyond!
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm

The two main options I am looking at are based around the same Idea, galv electrical conduit.

Sliding section inside pulling out to allow a canvas awning to loop on either side and over a central rail. Held extended or retracted using over-center lynch pins.

My mounting options are onto the upper stretcher bearers or onto a modified roof-rack replacing the stretcher bearers.
I intend to modify the stretcher bearers to hold roll-out side awnings. Again, these could be re-attached to the side of the roof-rack.

Plan B.......
Another option I was considering is what can only be called a huge arm!! A pivot at a rear corner with 3 or 4 tubular sections mounted above each other, holding a great canvas pull-around awning. It could be gathered up and tied against the roof-rack when not in use.

Ahhh, ideas, ideas........... :mrgreen:
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 pm

G'day chaps, on my ambulance i fitted right angle strips of alloy down the sides at the rear which has the rail for the awning screwed to it in the shape of the rear body i have to say though my doors don't go right back flat against the body and are held in place by adjustable sliders at the top of the doors.
The awning is an old caravan awning that my lass cut down to the width of the ambulance and sewed it back together down the centre so you still had a window each side the frame work was the original caravan frame work still adjustable but made a bit smaller all held in place with the the 2 guy ropes and standard pegs.
My table can then fold down so cooking can be done standing up and the sink that can be reached while you are stood out in the awning has a hand water pump again from a scrap caravan that can be worked by your hand while stood outside or by foot if inside.
Although you can use the loo inside i prefer a porter potty outside in the awning and all this just for the cost of time and patience :laugh: but it was worth it and made my then annual holiday at billing in 1998 a lot more comfortable.
It was at one of those shows at Billing the show ground was hit by a terrible storm but my home made awning stood it's ground and i only had to hang on to the gazebo that tried to take off :laugh: .
Unfortunately circumstances change and i began to use another camper 109 that was more basic because my 2 St Bernards used to muck everything up especially at off road events so a more basic truck that you can hose down became a better idea but they have sadly passed on and we now only have the one rescue Bernard so i might bring it back into action :shrug: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .