Hello from Scotland

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
JimMcC

Re: Hello from Scotland

Post by JimMcC » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Well I finally found some time to get the Carawagon up on the ramp and give it a thorough inspection. The chassis is as expected and will need a lot of welding or replacement. I think replacement is the way to go as we intend keeping the Carawagon for a long time. The bulkhead is pretty good and just requires new footwells and lower door pillar sockets. I got the engine running nicely after fitting a new fuel tank and exhaust system. Two plug leads were on the wrong cylinders and seem to have been for quite a while judging by the four worn spark plugs and two with electrodes like new. The engine turned over very slowly which I traced to the engine earth strap having a poor connection to the chassis, possibly explaining the new battery and starter that look to have been recently fitted. The compression is perfect and after resetting the ignition timing, carb mixture and valve clearances the engine runs very nicely indeed and almost silent at tickover.

We have been debating whether to change the engine for a Tdi, but given the 6 cylinder petrol currently fitted seems to be in good health we will keep the original engine and put up with the running costs but enjoy the smooth quiet drive (I have a real soft spot for the Land Rover petrol IOE engines). I will start a thread on the rebuild and keep you all updated on the progress.

Cheers, James and Sam
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for the update James & Sam.

It sounds just like I would have expected; I would put a new chassis in as well, that's what I'm doing with my latest one.

Both our previous Carawagon restorations were done as rolling restos as we wanted to use them. The first (Patrick's) was already on a galv chassis, but arrived as a kit of parts as the guy who stripped it all down to restore it passed away at that stage!
We needed to get that one done in about 3 months, including replacing all the roof woodwork, for a planned trip to Morocco last year. That was a 6 pot as well, but as our planned trip was going to cover nearly 6000 miles, the 6 pot would have been very nice but we couldn't have afforded the fuel!

The second was one I restored in about 6 weeks, again replacing all the roof woodwork as I wanted to get it ready for this year's round of shows! That's still being restored even as I'm using it :neener:

Both have 200TDi, 3.54 diffs and overdrives - we like that combination a lot though they both have loads of soundproofing including very thick bulkhead pads and blanket under the tunnel over the gearbox. In Patrick's (which has the most insulation) we can carry out a normal level converstation at 60mph :gold:

I intend taking my time with my current project as this is probably the one which I hope will see me out :aaagh: so it's going to get a new galv chassis like yours :gold:

Keep up the good work and take plenty of pics - I always get so engrossed that I forget to take them :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
JimMcC

Post by JimMcC » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi Robin,

I have seen your Land Rovers on the forums, they are splendid and reading about the Morrocan trip you took with other members is partly responsible for sparking our interest in the Carawagons. The Tdi engines are a very nice conversion, especially with the 3.54 diffs and o/d. We run a 1959 88" as a daily driver which I converted to 200Tdi (originally a 2l diesel) a few years ago and it is superb. We will keep the 6 cylinder petrol in this one for the time being though as it runs so well, just need to save up for the fuel! I fully agree that a new galvanised chassis is the way ahead and will put an order in with Richards in the next month or two.

Cheers, James
DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 pm

James,

If you haven't already, join the Series 2 Club, aside from getting the magazine (cough, cough) and being close enough to my area to come and meet the folks, the club gets a discount with Richards Chassis which will pay for you subscription and some! We also have discounts with other suppliers that might help.... As I am trying to sort collection of a camper myself it would be good to get together in due course.

Dan
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Already PM'd him details Dan :cheers:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
JimMcC

Post by JimMcC » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks chaps, I will join the S2 club asap. Really looking forward to getting the Carawagon back on the road but it will be a month or so before I can start on the recomissioning.

Cheers, James