Now then from the owner of a 1965 wannabe camper

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
steifbear

Now then from the owner of a 1965 wannabe camper

Post by steifbear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 am

I thought I better introduce myself first!

I'm Pete I own and drive a 1965 series 2a 109 currently running around with a 2.286 petrol lump in it.
As I have a great hatred of tents I'm slowly working towards converting CliVE into the perfect camper for me and my better half Lauren.

CliVE has recently been put onto a galvanised military chassis and had the bulkhead and front panel galvanised.
The rebuild thread can be found here,
http://ollr.createaforum.com/members'-m ... commence!/

I'm currently trying to source a supply of suitable alloy to make the top sheet on a carawagon style roof for CliVE, any pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Pete Stevens-with-a-V
RMS

Re: Now then from the owner of a 1965 wannabe camper

Post by RMS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Pete,

Good to see you made it over here :cheers:

There are simpler ways of making a lifting roof; the Carawagon is elegant and traditional, but uses a special alloy (Duralloy, I think) which flexes without work hardening and cracking. It also uses several hundreds tiny screws and rivets :aaagh:
I understand there is a supplier somewhere in Europe who still makes/sells this alloy, but it won't be cheap!
Also, of course, the rights to Carawagon are owned by the company that now owns Dormobile, so you can't just make a copy, I wouldn't have thought!

Have a look at such as the X-Panda etc. Plenty of pics about, and a thread on here as well.
HERE
There are lots of pics to give you some ideas on MrLeadfoot's photobucket:
HERE

Hope that helps,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Pete with a V
Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Welcome.

Chris.
smirf
Info: carawagon

Post by smirf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi pete, i also own a 1965 109. good luck with the camper conversion. mark
Spider

Post by Spider » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:54 am

hello and welcome
richardhill
Info: Italian Dormobile owner

Post by richardhill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 am

Hello steifbear
welcome from another 65 reg , but built Dec64.
ive only had it about 40 years so it isnt finished yet.
good luck
Dick
Muckitup
Info: I camp in a tent or sometimes a caravan

Post by Muckitup » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Steifbear.

I too am making a camping 2a 109 on the lines of the Carawagon without the lifting roof.
It will have single bed behind drivers seat 6ftx2ft.
1960,s Kitchen cuboards with sink/water and gas two ring burner/grill behind passenger seat.
The fridge will fit somewere not sure were yet.
By the way mine is a 1966 D reg called Steptoe.

Good luck any ideas you wana swop id be interested.

Thanks Neil.
Alpinerover
Info: AlpineRovers.com

Post by Alpinerover » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:11 pm

I have a 64 that 'm converting too
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 pm

G'day chaps, but i guess mostly neil who now own's Steptoe i had one of my 109's kitted out with a fold up 3/4 bed that comfortably sleeps 2 and most other gadgets till a friend came along and gave me a lift up roof which was great but to honest has held me up big time because i had to undo all i had done to fit and repair that Dormobile roof.

Anyway that's quite normal for me to change my mind but this time the work that is needed seems to be very slow but i guess i put this down to the next step was a paint job and i have gone backwards which kind of makes me think why am i doing this :banghead: .

Anyway the roof is fitted now along with my extractor/blower fan from a Citreon Ambulance and hopefully the paintwork will get done this year but it is not a straight forward paint job but a job that looks like it was done in the sixties era which of course is the colourful Hippie days of which my life revolves around being at peace with nature and life in general.

If you want idea's i have plenty but i spend very little and prefere to make things i use from junk people throw away and that includes paint :whistle: if you see a true Romany you will see he uses paint of all types but with brushes that have seen better days but at least the hairs don't drop out and i also do the same with a spray gun and that's not just on the body but what ever needs painting that leaves me with a truck of many colours but a good talking point round a fire with my dog and what few friends i have doing what i do best talking and :wine: .

What ever makes you happy i try and achieve because this is not a practice run this is life and we all like different things so i try my best to cruise. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .