Land Rover Dormobile Curtains.......

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Re: Land Rover Dormobile Curtains.......

Post by jerryd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Jock,
I thought your dormobile was going to be this one :nana1: If I'm correct it was featured in one of the land rover mags a few years back maybe 2008 ??? In fact it was probably reading about your dormobile that started me hunting for one again. I must say you've done a great job rebuilding it :cheers:
Of course I could be wrong and there are two red ones in Perth ;) the other one I know of in Perth belongs to a guy named Marc, although he did try to sell it recently and I believe he then changed his mind.

I recently sourced a water tank that will fit neatly under the seat box where the gas bottles were originally fitted, only $90.00 too so I shall be ordering one of those.

Maybe you should put a post and pics in the "members motors" section and tell us the story, as for me I'm going to dig out that magazine and have a read ;)

here is a pic of the other dormobile that I'm aware of in Perth.
Attachments
003-21.jpg
jock
Info: aussie jock

Post by jock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Jerryd, Your right my dormi was in LRO a few years back, just after the resto, and the blue one that was for sale here in Perth, belonged to Marc, I called him and he was not selling, he is into real eastate and using the dormi for a prop for his buisness, (shame)... Here is a pic of the curtains, sewen by my own hand, (story att LRO) and a pic of the table just finnished ....Jock...
Attachments
100_1702small.jpg
100_1750small.jpg
1968 11a dormobile
1964 swb cutwing ex army
1974 lwb station wagon
1977 2 door range rover
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Looks really good jock, I must admit I dug out the feature of your dormobile and had another read, a friend has now borrowed it.
I called in at spotlight and had a look round at materials, I note that you've put the sun block material on all the curtains, does this make much difference in summer ?? I thought I'd use it as a liner on all curtains to stop the heat and to stop the sun bleaching the material.

I purchased a new table from Jim at "dormobile uk", it's well made but all the fittings were fitted wrongly :shakehead: so after I re fitted everything I now have lots of screw holes showing underneath.
jock

Post by jock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:49 am

G'day Jerryd, just thinking about your table , it might be for a left hand drive, that would make the fixings a wee bit difrent. Looking through the workshop you are fitting duel batts , I have mine under the pax seat, with room for the solinoide, a bit tight but all works well... The air bags are a good adition, after fitting new springs to the rear, the ride was that stiff all the pots and cups would rattle, and bring travel on dirt roads to a crawl, airbag-man and arb have the bags but not the kit for our model, just re fitted the old springs and made up brackets for the air-bags where the bump stops used to be ..... Jock
Attachments
100_1867small.jpg
Scotland june 2009 140small.jpg
air-bag fit  to dormi 002small.jpg
1968 11a dormobile
1964 swb cutwing ex army
1974 lwb station wagon
1977 2 door range rover
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am

Ah, I've not seen that air suspension mod - I thought you were talking about safety airbags (for driver/passenger) and was going to ask you how you managed that :stars:

I wonder how strong they are? Could they cope as the only springs, or are they just assisters?

A rare mod over here, from years ago, was to cut off the rear of the leaf springs and fit coil springs between the bump stops - just like your mod but only using the coils for the suspension.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jock

Post by jock » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 am

Hi Robin,
I think the air bags were manufactured as a sort of helper for overloaded leaf springs, I only run with 15 to 20 psi just enuf to take the sag from the old leaf springs, and get the best ride on all road surface's, air bags on there own would need some sort of radius arm, or as you say the front end of the leaf spring, also maybe have the bags interact with each other for off road driving, (hide the grinder).. :whistle: Dont want to get to carried away with on board compressors, and air tanks, but the thought is there ! ! !
1968 11a dormobile
1964 swb cutwing ex army
1974 lwb station wagon
1977 2 door range rover