HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 pm

G'day chap's, with Janie having taken the pictures earlier of the light weight chain that has a sleeve of heat shrink shrunk to the shape of the chain partially covering the clips at each end although the idea worked OK i found something better in among the junk in the back of the truck.

This was attached to a seat belt mount that was used a long time ago to stop one of my St Bernards jumping out while i got organized with the other old gal, unfortunately those girls are not with us now so i set to and made another very much the same as the others but the plastic cover that encases a stainless steel braided wire that is the main strength of the lead was what i had to work on.

With 2 inches of the plastic coating removed i set to and made a loop round a 1/4 inch bar then bound it tightly with wire then soldered up the binding all nice and neat but to finish it off again some shrink sleeve was used and i am now happier than i was before :wink: .

Over the top and unnecessary maybe when a blob of paint would have done the job :shrug: but why should i be like everyone else as that would make for a boring way of life :shakehead: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:35 am

G'day chap's, having had HEC jacked up on the off side front corner from yesterday it made it easier to fit the mud shield that has longer than normal bolts fitted so i can fit a large washer held in place by another nut then another large penny washer held in place by a bit of tape on the threads which applies to all four fasteners along the bottom.

The bracket that hangs from the wing top has three holes pre drilled with spire nuts clipped in place it is then an easy job of fitting the mud shield bottom end first along with another penny washer and nut to all four bolts, the next stage i use floor screws that are a Phillips type but with the point removed if you have had to use a normal self tapping screw that is, tighten every thing up even job done.

The threads that are protruding because i use longer four bolts where the extra washer-nut-washer are used instead of cutting the extra length off i screw some windscreen washer pipe on that protects the threads so if ever you need to remove the mud shield it has been protected.

The reason for the nut-washer-nut-washer then mud shield is so the mud trap between the bulkhead foot well and mud shield now has a gap so any build up is less likely therefore less of a rust trap :shrug: , although only a small idea it does eventually save a lot of work but then that's just me and the way mind mind works.

Unfortunately the bending of my leg putting everything back together has opened the burn on my leg that has now turned bad and although iodine dressing's have been used if it is no better tomorrow it look's like a trip to the Doc's :thud: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:48 am

Try not to disintegrate before t'Pit, old chap. :stars:
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:17 pm

G'day Matt, worry not my friend although i won't be camping at the pit i will be up the road at a small site that's a tad quieter so i can sleep due to excitement of all those leafers together along with like minded people who are on my wave length :wine:

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 am

My Dear Brad,

One can surf on your wave length!
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 am

G'day chaps, well i thought today was going to be a good one but having seen my doc who prescribed anti biotics that were so strong my lass could only get them from a certain chemist along with all the other medication so they could hit the burn in one hit{her words not mine}.

Well i know i am slow but WOW! i am even slower and more confused :stars: but i carried on with working out a locking system to stop my canopy flying out of it's tubes with the power of the old 2-1/4 petrol but on the other hand i could just be going up a very steep hill which i guess is more like it :laugh: .

I have a small R clip soldered to a brass sink plug chain and the other end riveted to my alloy work light bracket, an inch in depth stainless steal U shaped bracket is riveted to the bottom part of the work light mounting below the work light bracket that also has the hole for the center pole of the canopy, a picture when Janie gets back on Sunday will help one understand :shrug: .

Anyway the other half of this nice brass sink plug chain i soldered an inch long steel clevis pin the same length as the chain with the R clip on and riveted in the same way but on the opposite side of the bracket mentioned before which means i can't drop or loose anything at anytime for what ever reason :wink: .

This is where my day started to go wrong when my noisy chap next door looked over the fence pulled the usual sarcastic look and went on to say what on earth are you doing or words to that effect for :thud: , as usual what ever i said he had an answer for and continued to take the mick Oh! i did forget i had some light weight tongue and groove dropped off along with some again lightweight 2x1 second hand but free to help kit out the back of HEC.

This goes on most days and for what ever reason [that's not how landrovers were built} is all i ever hear and it kind of wears one down a bit although i try and take little notice the sarcastic comment's don't stop even though i ask him not to voice his opinion he can't help himself :banghead: .

Sorry to go on but after finding a pin the size needed cleaned the brass chain up and soldered the pin to the chain put the rivet in the hole my chain has gone walk about and after three hours of looking i gave in :shakehead: , maybe not feeling top of the world does not help but i do wish some people would keep there negative thoughts to themselves.

Again sorry for the grumpyness but tomorrow will be a better day :wine: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:07 am

Keep at it , Brad.

Your neighbour is not a surfer!

See you soon
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:09 am

G'day chap's, well after a bad day yesterday i got up late morning a lot more positive and took my St Bernard to the park just up from me so she could have a wonder get tired and sleep till 1500 hrs which is her tea time so while she was asleep i concentrated on the little job i tried to do yesterday after i had found a clevis pin the size needed.

Having lost the small chain and clevis pin i had soldered up yesterday :shrug: , for the life of me i could not find one even though i have a large selection safe out of sight of some that come scrounging but can't help in anyway which is why i can't find because of my memory :embarassed: .

Anyway in the end i found a box of new tapered type of all sizes so with soldering done i now have a small R clip on one chain and the clevis pin on the opposite side with both chains riveted to the said bracket i mentioned yesterday :woohoo: and it works as i wanted it to.

Although when i want to get in the back body each time to some it would be a pain but i have done this so anybody wanting to get in the back to borrow something on a permanent basis as they walk by will not be so easy and as for getting in from the front i have a large dog guard that's bolted in solid so just a bit of a deterrent :wink: .

Anyway that's another little bit done so it's on to the next job of lining out the back body with some wall boarding that has come my way so it's a case of cutting everything to size now i have de-nailed it by which time some small sheets of insulation should have arrived from my same source of free wood-screws and glue :whistle: bless him and that's my chap across the road :whistle: .

Hopefully pictures tomorrow when my lass get's home. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Pictures that Brad promised so you know what he's waffling about.
Jaynie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (270.89 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (186.89 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (213.67 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:45 pm