HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
DrivingDutchman

Re: HEC updates

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 am

Hi Brad,

I have to say, I just LOVE these little updates you post. I can actually see it all happen before me, in such detail do you account your tribulations with HEC. :laugh:
I say keep 'm coming and maybe you should bundle them in a little booklet. It might just sell like hot cakes... :gold:

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am

G'day Michiel, i thank you for your comment's and am pleased i don't annoy you, doing what i do really help's me in more way's than one, i have also been told it sometimes help's other's who are a tad new to the landrover scene and don't know.
I am sat hear planning my next job along with how i am going to get this paint that seem's to be ingrained in my hand's off, although i tried to clean the paint off with thinner's it got the thickest off but turned my hand blue{the colour of the paint i was using}.
I have scrubbed them with fairy liquid and sugar mixed :shakehead: , i guess the rest will just come off in time :laugh: .
For many year's i have written a diary every day apart from when i was really ill, the diary these day's seem's to be getting bigger which to me is a good sign, in fact it is so big now you can see where i have fallen asleep while writing if you can call it that :shrug: , it seem's just before i fall asleep my pen has a mind of it's own and doodle's about before laying down :laugh: .
I am now burning day light so will go an see what i can get up to today :shrug: , and thank's for making my day :cheers: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Well i am on the ball again and think i might have found why my truck's are not very fast :thud: , there full of junk :laugh: .
I firstly had to make room in the back so i could take the seat's out and finish off emptying the cab, i did quickly put the drivers seat back in to turn her around on my drive backing her up tight to my fence on the drivers side.
To get out of my cab meant i had to climb across the cubby box i had forgotten to take out, with three extended gear leaver's in the way only to find i had not unlocked the door :aaagh: , now i don't like tight spaces and being built like a silverback gorilla meant i was stuck :shakehead: .
Can i get in the back NO because i had fitted a dog guard in the way, i managed to open the passenger window so i could breath :embarassed: , the thought of opening the door from the outside but while i am on the inside, but what if i drop the key's :cry: i am panicking big time now and somehow i got back to the driving seat fired her up and shot out of the drive :stars: .
I stood by my truck taking my coat off being wet through with sweat from my panic attack i needed to cool down but also a brew.
My neighbor came across and asked what on earth were you doing, er!! i was stuck, so why didn't you shout, :rant: i did, sorry i didn't hear you i was to busy :roll: .
Anyway it was while supping my second brew i noticed normal rivet's, i then remembered the navYboz had repaid this seat box in a deal we had done a long time ago :shakehead: , hopefully this means it might be a tad easier to get out rather than take the seat box out again.
At least i got the cab emptied and i found a spare diff in a box that is built into the rear false floor with the two complete half shaft's :whistle: . What a day but again good entertainment for the neighbors.
Sadly i got very little done today but the intention was there honest.
RobW

Post by RobW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Easily done. I've parked too close to the house a few times and not been able to open the door. I think it's the only time having a frame over the tub bulkhead is a bad thing; the rest of the time it's perfect for keeping the load in the back!

Funnily enough I've got back to the car to find someone parked too close to open a door, never had it happen in the land Rover.....
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Rather oddly we very rarely get cars parking too close in car parks maybe the big dent in the rear wing helps. Got to admit I like having the dog guard in but it does get in the way at times hence it is currently out. Brad any progress is good progress so keep it up.
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Well i nearly broke down in tears , having been very careful drilling rivet's out of the seat box passenger tool tray, by splitting the mastic from the joint i had carefully done when originally fitting the flat tool box under the passenger seat{with the seat box out} i had a terrible thought.
Silly old me forgot it is easy to fit a battery carrier by cutting the hole needed to drop the preformed battery carrier in,unfortunately the new battery carrier is safe :shrug: , the hole tool carrier even now released still will not drop straight down and out unless i cut the chassis :shakehead: ,i don't think i will bother doing that.
I had to stop for a brew and some tucker, not just to wipe the tear's from my eye's but to chill out in the sun while having a picnic on my drive, to me this is normal but to other's they just think i am odd.
Not having got sun burnt but managed to enjoy a brew and some tucker i decided right let's just crack on and get it done.
I at least managed to undo half the nut's bolt's and washer's that for some reason i had not applied copper grease to when assembled, this really was unlike me but brassed me off all the same and it was then i had to take another break having had great difficulty getting up off the floor :banghead: Tomorrow i guess the first job is turn the old gal round so i can crack the other fixings of the seat box then remove and start again :thud: .
As usual there are a few job's i was not 100% happy with, although normal for me i have to try a do thing's to the best of my ability and not look a bodge which mean's sometimes doing job's more than once.
Tomorrow is another day so i will catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 pm

G'day chap's, i finally managed to get my floor's and seat box out of HEC, i can honestly say when it was put together after changing the gearbox it was not meant to leak water out or rattle and come loose :banghead: .
The original black strip's of mastic held everything fast,with all the nut's bolt's and washer's put ready for cleaning next to my bench mounted wire wheel, the tunnel and floor refused to move :thud: . After a lot of huffing and puffing i decided to put a wide block of wood against the underside of the floor but on top of a small jack, doing this job in stages meant i didn't bend or break anything until it finally let go.
I must say it took me the best part of the day to get the seat box and tunnel out :shakehead: , but it is done now although i have found another job that i will need rectifying. Again i like thing's to look neat as though a bit of thought was put into what ever i do, the fact from the distant past brake pipe's wiring loom's or just the odd few wires have been ripped out due to packed snow, i like to think it won't happen again so i tinker and make so it might not :whistle: .
I don't know what i was thinking when i thought i might get that battery carrier in with out any hassle, but then looking at it another way it is my hobby that i enjoy and i like to be different :wink: , the fact i am undoing what i have already done just to fit a leisure battery some might think i need my head examining :cactus: , i forgot my neighbor is one of those such people :laugh: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey up chap's, i must say it has been a funny old weekend but at least progress has been made, the first job being to check all the holes from previous rivet's line up with the battery carrier ones, to my surprise most of them did :whistle: which i guess was more luck than judgment.
I cleaned out or the holes by running a drill bit the size of the rivet head's i will be using, then.. debured the steal battery carrier where the drill had gone through, again this was done because i put washer's on the opposite side of the head's of the rivet's so they fit flush.
I used small nut's bolt's and washer's to pull the seat box and battery carrier together equal after of course i have applied the black mastic, it would have been easier with another pair of hand's and a nice big flat table, unfortunately that is in my lasses part of the garden where oil and mastic are forbidden unless she is not around :wink: .
As usual this little job turned into a bigger job and paint had to dry, this just leaves the passenger side of the seat box to be fitted when i had another :idea: , while i am at it i could cut out and fit a small door in the side of the seat box, this would be to keep an eye on the leisure battery just incase i come across some different type of seat's :shrug: .
Time for some tucker so i called it a day, happy at what i had achieved and pleased mastic comes off better than paint :laugh: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm

I was woke the second time this morning by the smell of fish and a cold nose, the smell of fish was from her breakfast earlier and it is now time for a trundle i am being told, to be honest the sun was shining anyway so it seem's my little hound will get her way as usual :laugh: .
At least this way with the sun shining it's got to be good to be above ground and tinker with my obsession, having acquired another half tube of black mastic mean's i can crack on and fit the seat box side in much the same way by using small long nut's and bolt's not forgetting the washers to pull it all in sqaure,
Again i riveted everything together using a washer at the ball end of the rivet, the top outer four holes are where the seat runner's are fastened, small nut's bolt's and washer's pulled all this together to line up nice. Time for a brew while the mastic was going off a tad after which i had to drill some more holes, there is quite a few on the outside of the seat box to take into account the weight of the battery i guess, with that done debured all was ready for the final riveting in the same manner as the other's :woohoo: that job is done.
When the mastic is all cured i will be giving the seat box a light rub down and a lick of paint having made a few scratch mark's, my mind has also changed about the small door on the side of the seat box, for the time being that is.
Time for a brew and search for these part's for Adam R, unless of course Patrick fancies coming over for a bit of mountaineering :whistle: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Sorry chap's, i wrote my post of fitting the new style fuel line but got timed out sorry :banghead: , i will try to be a bit quicker tomorrow due to my brain box being on a go slow today, probably because i was having so much fun :shrug: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .