HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

G'day chap's, and what a wonderful day it has been, that warm sun really makes a difference not just to one's mood but how thing's work out.
I had made a petrol pipe up yesterday but again i changed my mind and made a more prettier one :embarassed: , i made up a more standard type of pipe that is in conduit and again bound with black tape with shrink sleeve finishing it off at each end, red of course with 1 inch long bands of red heat shrink at regular interval's so i remember it is fuel pipe and not a wiring loom in the future.
This is not needed some may think :shrug: , well beside the fuel line is another small loom bound in the same way, these are are the feed's for all the other extra's including the camping side of thing's so you see i don't have to remember, of course doing this is a way that i never seem to forget but if it was not there i would :laugh: .
The now finished seat box was turned upside down and given to coat's of etching primer/undercoat, of course me being me the now solid battery carrier had it's final top coat of Leyland light blue that although i say so myself now look's solid and colorful.
I will get my lass to put up a few picture's as soon as i can, the reason being i guess is because the battery box/seat box has come out better than i thought with no welding just a it of precision guess work :wink: and of course patience :nana: .
I had some old biking friend's who dropped round for a brew, this was unexpected having not seen them for a very long time,it was however so funny in a way to see them both hobbling like old men, the fact we are all in the same boat now collecting our pension's is erelevant :roll:, the sad bit is i have lost another biker bud from the past who passed away 2 week's ago and i didn't know.
Here's to you MEATFlY MAC :wine: and may your God go with you.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm

I must say it seem's like a never ending job but at least the newly fabricated fuel line is now fitted,i fired her up and let her run for ten minutes, the good new's is the olives don't leak which i am well happy with. The fuel line has yet to be fastened down, this however depend's on what i end up doing with the loom :banghead: , to be honest it has seen better day's and came with the series three bulkhead when i bought it for my late father.
Over the few year's i had used the old gal it developed intermittent fault's quite often, most of which pointed the the multi plug area near the foot well, although a running repair was made i knew it would get the boss of me.
While the seat box is out there is no better time, while kneeling some of my neighbor's thought i was praying :laugh: , comment's like will it ever see the road again or you will need more than a prayer to keep that old gal going i just :laugh: it off.
Anyway while i was knelt on my grey horsehair sprung seat pad i realized just how bad those wire's were, luckily i hope anyway there is enough of the loom spare so i can cut the plug off completely.
I have enough bullet's to solder on to the wires then using some new female connector's with the proper tool can push them all the way home {i can't remember the proper name for them :embarassed: }.
The guy that originally built this truck with a 1.9 diesel engine in was a bodger to say the least :thud: , so i guess it was my fault for not going into the depth's of the wires and how they had fatigued to the point of just breaking.
It will be note book time tomorrow, diagram's of what goes where so i don't get confused and end up in another pickle, or someone distract's me and i loose the plot. I always expect distraction's when you don't need them, this is one of the reason's i take so long when people are around me :wink: unless of course they are doing the job.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Just some more pictures of brads achievements this week.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (261.75 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (210.34 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (232.18 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Hey up chap's,Unfortunately the weather was not on my side today but i did manage a little something all be it in the clean electrical shed. To make sure i had enough of everything it was a case of going out and checking what i needed to make a neat job.
The wind was howling a tad to much for me to solder out in the open air, the fact i would be kneeling at some point or stood on my soap box to reach down deep in the engine bay, i thought it best left for another day.
I did however have a good inspection nearer to where the loom goes into the chassis :aaagh: , the picture of what i have in my hand was part of the loom :banghead: . Although i am not one for originality as you might have noticed, the fact i love colour that again you might have noticed :whistle: , bodged wiring is one of my pet hates so you can imagine the horror on my face and in my thought's when i pulled that little lot out :thud: .
I have now got to think what my next step is, i can solder the bullets on the loom nearest to the chassis but think i have to pull the loom that is in the chassis out from the back end :rant: at one's self. I know at the back of the truck the loom is in a proper box, his mean's i guess i can pull it through just incase welding to the chassis in the past has done any damage :shrug:, better to be safe than sorry i guess. Knowing me and my bounce while asleep the situation will be blown out of proportion as per usual, so i guess that job is another that has to be sorted.
I will finish this truck, but as George Formby said in his film about the TT races, ALL IN GOOD TIME.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 am

For those that don't know me i am six foot plus which mean's i am a long way from the ground :whistle: , today's job was going to be tying some line to the loom in the chassis and pull it through from the back end :shakehead: , i chickened out :embarassed: but that wind was bitter cold with light rain, i don't think it would have been a good idea with my bones and the cold not liking each other.
Anyway my helper in the past has stripped a lot of wiring loom's keeping the best and throwing the rough stuff, it is kept in a massive dustbin that i acquired after builders had finished the job they were on.This rather large dustbin on wheel's was used for holding the water for the guy who was working behind a cement mixer {a very long time ago}.
Anyway i made it my job to sort out some good length's of the correct colored wires, as you might have guessed this took most of the day, it also gave me a rest from getting up and down and groveling around on the floor. I could have pulled the loom out but i thought i have done the above for a good reason and Rome was not built in a day :wink: i also had a bit of painting for a change.
To be honest it was warmer in the garage and i have small part's to paint that will be fitted to the battery box as soon as they are ready.
Yes i could have bought a loom or the wire but fund's are tight, i also need to pay for other thing's so saving my pennies and to be honest i work like my late father, if you can make it why buy it, by putting thing's together using what you have lying around gives you a greater sense of satisfaction.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Brads asked me to put these on the forum not sure where but he will explain later.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (299.29 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (282.66 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (336.21 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm

G'day chap's, i had asked my lass to put these on the forum but forgot to say where :embarassed: , to be honest i need to know more about the kit, although i can tell you they are from an 88 and could be a Borg Warner 66.
The reason i said they, is it is a high ratio transfer box, the conversion part i think is for an automatic box but what i do know is low ratio is a standard bit of kit.
Once identified it could be for sale or swop :wink: , but if i manage to come across what i might need to use this bit of kit and fund's are available HEC could be an auto just to be different.

Robin or Patrick please feel free to do as you think fit :shrug: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I am afraid the weather has stopped me playing outside, but if i am honest to finish off HEC before an MOT then finish off the driver's side rear cupboard i think i might need a hand from those few that drop in to either help, have a few brew's and some tucker or just a brew or two.

I need to empty out the back of HEC that is full, to find somewhere temporary but dry to store is not such an easy job, however it can be done with help to a shed that is only three quarter's full :wink: .
The rear floor is riveted in place but to get to that the false floor has to be taken out that from what i remember is just slotted in place, again this has to go to the shed that was three quarter's full but by now will be full and then locked :laugh: .
My intention is to remove the floor so i can lay the wiring loom in conduit clipped to the outside of the chassis {incase of welding in later years} , my intention is also to get my back cross member checked along the top then cut and weld large gusset's from the rear cross member to the chassis rail's, doing this i won't be so worried towing my new to me trailer.
As usual doing thing's in an orderly manner is preferred so i can cope and keep my old brain box sort of under control :aaagh: .
Because of having a bit of difficulty these day's working underneath with out a ramp, to me it just makes me think this way will be a lot easier and i will not have to hurry, once the floor is out i can put it back myself after a bit of paint of course :neener: and all in good time.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Well as usual i ask for help that some how takes the pressure off me :shrug: , along with being a tad eccentric my excuse for a brain work's in very mysterious way's, i just wish it would make life a tad easier instead of blowing everything out of proportion :banghead: .
I would have thought at my age i would have got used to way thing's happen :shakehead: . Anyway when i was sorted and the sun had got a bit of warmth in it, i started firstly having to make way to get to this little shed without disturbing the bird's in the bushes.This took at least half an hour due to there being more in the way than i thought, some of which was a tad on the heavy side but without lifting i managed it :thud:, this meant it was then time for a brew in my large tin mug.
I like my tea cold so after a few sip's i cracked on with my sack barrow, i must say i didn't load it so it was to difficult to move but put enough on so i didn't get disheartened when it seemed never ending :laugh: . Eventually with the shed full i was left just with the frame work and plywood, all this was slotted together so it didn't move it then had a couple of layer's of old carpet to make it comfy for my mate the hound {mini moo}.
I am now down to the carpet fitted on to the ply that is sat on top of the original floor,unfortunately for me i forgot to turn the truck round and the wind had started to howl round my leg's and back so i called it a night.
After some tucker i got me a phone call from Pete of the navYboz regard's the transfer box i have, after a short chin i spoke to Chris the father to find out they are coming over on Saturday to give me a hand :nana1: , the pressure is off and i can now tootle along to get thing's ready for the final hurdles :woohoo: . Although a bit to go yet i am at the back end and can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 pm

For a change my hound didn't wake me but her rumbling stomach did along with the snoring in my ear with her head next to mine but on her pillow. Although there was a nip in the air i could see it was going to be a cracker of a day, this mean's just one thing having got excited to know the navYboz will be down on Saturday but early bless em.
As usual even though excited i am not a fast mover in the morning's but i have just got a bee in my bonnet about getting this landrover ready for the lads to help me, strange i know but it really bug's me having to ask for help.
Once i had sorted my hound who was a tad unwell but better after a short trundle it was brew time while my thought's gathered together to work out the best and easiest way of taking the floor out.
First was to fit a new blade in my Stanley knife so i could cut the bottom of the carpet out, this meant i could get to the ply cut to fit snug on the stainless floor.
At the time when my late father wanted this fitting it was only because it was all that was available but with a join done the middle strengthened by a strip underneath and riveted with ex RAF rivet's :whistle: . We only had enough to do down the middle join so used standard rivet's to hold the complete floor in, this to be honest was not a good idea because stainless and alloy together don't go well, this proved it was not a good idea when i came to drill the rivet top's off which almost turned to dust :aaagh: .
The same thing had not happened when the floor was laid in place having laid it on black mastic, this of course stopped the electrolysis between the stainless and alloy so was not an issue like the rivet's. Having used the original type self tapping screw's to hold the metal strip's in place in my eye's was not a good idea, philips type would have been easier to get out but at the time new standard type were all we had and did the job.
I did manage to get the two 7/16 nut's and bolt's undone that are the support fitting's for the rear panel, that was only possible on my own because of the floor being split down the middle, this made it so i could get my arm in to hold the ring spanner on the nut while using a ratchet on the bolt.
By this time i had done enough, in fact as usual to much almost getting it to the stage i thought i couldn't get to on my own. I am now very weary but very happy at what i was able to achieve :nana: .