:hello:
For sale at auction 1971 Dormobile
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C721374
Cheers Andy
RMS

Re: Dormobile

Post by RMS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:24 am

Looks very clean!

I've added it to the camper register on here, just for our records.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Troika

Post by Troika » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:02 am

I see a series IIa not a series III, i.e. door hinges, centre dash, whats going on at the top of the bulkhead?.....some sort of bracketry each side, and the gap between bonnet and wing tops looks excessive.

Strong price guide,not quite VW levels yet but climbing, but if this had been mine, I would have wanted to use pictures showing the refurbished seats installed rather than the childrens indoor picnic setup and accompanying gas cylinder. :shakehead:
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:52 pm

So all in all, a late S2a with a plastic grille.

Wonder why the gas bottle isn't under the driver's seat ?

Otherwise appears well looked after.

Ian
yakcam

Post by yakcam » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 pm

This one was on H&H classic auction site in December 2010 - its still there!! Sold for £4950

That auction detail says chassis is No 35101048H. If the suffix was misread as being D then I think its a 2A RHD export 6 cylinder. I think this would tie up with what LR sent to Martin Walker for conversion.

Dormobile number shown as 57926-1-626

Current auction detail says bulkhead replaced with later version and adapted for retaining original dash!!

I'm still looking to find a LR dormobile and maybe this would be a good base to start from?

Please PM me if your advice would be to consider the current auction despite the guide price

Kind regards

Chris (Yakcam)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:23 am

Hi Chris

This looks a good truck to me and could be the oldest 2a Dormobile. Land Rover only built another 88 Export SW after this one and looking at the Dormobile Serial number and the Reg number, this one sat at either at Dormobile or Solihul for quite some time. My 1971 export chassis Dormobile is a couple of hundred vehicles younger than this one and has a Dormobile serial number 700 vehicles lower.

My Dormobile want through the Dormobile factory 6 months before this one and by the time it got to the Land Rover showroom, it was sharing it with Series 3's. The metal grill was changed to a plastic grill in the show room to modernise it's appearance. I would fully expect this vehicle to have received the same treatment. The Reg is correct for it going through the Dormobile factory, being Maidstone registered. All the features in the vehicle seam correct for it's age, except where are the rear seats? It has the correct wing badges and the roof up warning light on the dash.

Nothing in the pictures screams out at me saying don't buy me, but I have not seen the chassis.

Get bidding and get it on the road. Then you can wave at VW campers when you leave them for dead on the motorway.

Cheers Mick
yakcam

Post by yakcam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for your kind reply and words of encouragement. We met at Peterborough last year and I very much enjoyed chatting to everyone and making some notes in my mind about the LR Classic Campers.

I noticed the rear seats were not shown in the current auction particulars and that in the H&H listing the front seats had high backs and what looked like standard Land Rover front seats were in the back!!

Still, no big deal from what I can see. The important thing for me is that most of the Dormobile conversion seems to be there and the Land Rover bits shouldn't be too difficult to get round in time.

I haven't bought a vehicle at auction for a long time so I'll see what I can achieve with this one.

Thanks again and cheers for now.

Chris
yakcam

Re: Dormobile AKM 217K

Post by yakcam » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Went to the auction today and pleased to say I successfully bid for it.

Looks like it will need some significant work to the chassis to get it back on the road. Planning for it to become my daily driver when it's sorted.

The Dormobile conversion is largely complete from what I can tell. All four seats present, cupboards, stove, sink, roof and bunks. No table. No provision for gas cylinders under drivers seat?

Last owner was located in Wales but there were 16 keepers prior to that.

Kind regards

Chris
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Well done Chris. Hope it is not too long before it is touring again. What engine has it - 6 pot?
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 am

Hi Chris

Well Done, they are great campers. A lot of hard work to do, but it will be worth it. i love the freedom our gives us.

The picture is William waiting for the BBQ to be ready to cook in France Last year, whilst Louise reads with the obligatory glass of French wine.

Cheers Mick
Attachments
IMG_20150819_132837.jpg