Rear canopy

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
RMS

Re: Rear canopy

Post by RMS » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:27 am

Hi Brad,

The rear pair of supports on the LWB version, or the only pair of supports on the SWB version, are there to support the inside ends of the frame poles when it is extended.

For example, (using imperial measurements here as I know you prefer that :tiphat: ), the LWB frame is approx. 102" long.
When fully extended to about 72" out the back, there is still 32" of pole left inside the roof.
The internal support must be positioned at about 30" from the rear of the roof so the pole left inside the roof is supported by the bracket, not the plastic tube.

On the SWB version, the frame poles are approx. 66" long, and when extended 48" out of the back, the internal support must be no more than 18" forward from the rear of the roof.

As the internal tube is plastic, the unsupported front section will sag a little when the frame is extended on the SWB version, but will straighten again when you push the frame back in.
If the sagging bothers you, by all means put another pair of support brackets on nearer the front like the LWB version :cheers:

I would have sent you two pairs of support brackets for the LWB frame (as the tubes are much longer and need some support near the front) and one pair for the SWB frame. If you want another pair I can let you have them either by post or at the next show.

By the way, if you polish the poles with car polish or furniture polish, the poles will slide in and out much easier.

I used Gorilla glue for the rings after roughing up the plastic surface with a rasp - have you managed to pull one off :shrug:
Any strong glue would work - I would probably use Araldite or similar if I hadn't got the Gorilla glue, though the advantage of Gorilla glue is that it expands as it sets, so 'grabs' on to any imperfections like the area I 'roughed up' with a rasp.

Give me a call if any of this doesn't make sense :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:30 pm

G'day Robin, so they named some glue after me but the only part they missed was the ageing part :laugh: but i will go out and buy some Araldite having never of the other stuff and i guess you could the blame on me trying to be gentle because i have a dog guard that makes it a bit awkward and i am not the supplest of people :embarassed: .

The guy next door who is always sticking his nose over the fence with sarcastic comments why didn't you do this or are you still stood in the same place as an hour ago kind of up skittles my thoughts which can be frustrating but some of his idea's are good :banghead: but then sarcasm is the lowest form of whit i have always been told :shrug: .

For those that read my posts will probably realize by now i never make anything easy for myself and tend to go over the top for strength if nothing else but then the same can be said for my extra lights :whistle: if you can't see me i think you might need stronger glasses :wink:

Anyway i have to try and crack on while the sun is shining because i have my annual journey coming up to tend graves down in Essex which i really don't want to miss :shakehead: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Well chaps, after a day i really want to forget yesterday the old brain box seems to have sorted it'self out and i seem to be on a roll apart from going to Asda on my Noddy car for some araldite and yes!! you might have guessed they had everything but which does not help me with my confusion of i used to be indecisive but i am not so sure now :banghead: .

Anyway i got some sort of Locktight and a small tube of No nails just incase but after cleaning and roughing up the tube including cleaning out the holes to help the glue grip on the tube it has now gone off and i am ready but i have robbed a set of supports to fit one just before the alpine window and the one Simon original fitted for me after the alpine window.

Tomorrow i hope to complete the off-side in the same way as i have the near-side just for my peace of mind due to it playing tricks on me all the time so i have over compensate what ever i try and achieve just so it can relax :shrug: although it can be a good thing sometimes but a real pain with extra work involved more often than not but it keeps me out of mischief and happy i guess :whistle: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:45 pm

G'day chaps, what a difference a good night sleep makes even though i have to get up about 3 most mornings because my St Bernard has a habit of wanting the loo for a No2 having been ill treated when a pup before i picked her up from being tied to a gate next to the A1 for what looked like a long time however it was back to bed till our feed time then i still have to go back to bed to wake up slowly which believe me i need :laugh: .
Anyway after i had sorted myself and my little dog out with medication etc i felt the need for a bit of tinkering so it's to work out what i was going to do next even though i have instructions and have had advise i set to working out how i was going to go about fitting the three supports :shakehead: yes Robin said i only need one Simon said it would be best with two but i have decided to fit three the third one being adjustable at the front end basically because i don't like things flopping about but that's just my choice.
Anyway the first support from the rear to the front was 1/2 an inch from the rear of the alpine window the second as per instructions that Simon fitted originally the third at the front was a jubilee clip drilled to except a set bot tightened in place leaving enough threads for some up and down adjustment two plain washers and two nuts that can be bolted as the same principle as the roof :wine: that's one side done.
Now on to the center pole fixing that is recessed into the roof but leaves a small gap where the fold of the roof is so i cut a semi circular bit of alloy the thickness needed so with the last two of the rivets fitted it pulled up nice and tight ready for the next step which was to make another work light bracket incorporating the hole for the middle canopy support but this is when the wind started howling and the heavens opened :eatin: yep! it was that time so i called it a night quite happy at what i had achieved :nana: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm

G'day chaps, after people enjoying there festivities and seeing the new year in with those darn fireworks that terrify my little dog i was surprised i was up and about so early although in the back of my mind i really need to get on and do my bit of traveling that's the norm for me this time of year but i refuse to rush and prefer to enjoy what i am doing :wink: .

It was either measure cut and fit the front valance or carry on working at the back end :shrug: i decided to make the bracket for the work light so i can tidy up the wires in conduit but the old body and brain box was on a go slow :whistle: not that i really mind but along with getting the bracket made i was hoping to fit the top indicators but i guess there is always another day not started on yet :laugh: .

I know it's not much of a report but i am adamant what came off the rear of the truck inside and outside will be fitted back on then i know the wiring is safe to travel hence the reason it is taking me so long.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 pm

G'day chaps, well i am cruising now although i would never win a race things are coming together and looking good in my eye's anyway but the top two spacers are cut to length and filed to shape then fitted using the two stainless bolts i found and cut to length, these are a nice fit in the spacers leaving room for some grease that is also carried into the riv-nut and that to me is looking a lot better.
Time to rub down the bracketry of the work light where i had scratched the paint after a previous fitting/re-drilling :whistle: i even painted the alloy disc's that covered the alloy disc's that i made to plug the old indicator holes with ech primer but then after a brew the heavens opened but at least the ech primer had dried.
Simon had taken everything off out of the way carefully which made it easier for me putting it back together bless him but in my haste to fit the earth wire for the work light i broke the ring terminal :banghead: , i could have soldered the wire in a ring after twisting it round a 1/4 bolt but i knew i had some safe in my electrical box that i had found yesterday after weeks of looking for it and blow me those Elves that live in my garage have moved it safe :shrug: but i managed to at least find one that i soldered on the earth wire with a nice bit of heat shrink tom make it look pretty :embarassed: yep! awful in some peoples eye's but i am happy but it soon turned dark and the rain came tumbling down so i called it a night but happy with what i have achieved :nana: .

woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Did you sort the brackets out?
We put them just in front of the alpine windows as it seemed the best place to allow support for the tubes in the roof but with the tubes being plastic it means they flex a little with the awning out hence suggesting making 2 more brackets to fit across the alpine window to give it extra support, the LWB roof with alpine window is easier as the important rear bracket misses the window and it's just the tube support one that needs moving forward to miss the window.
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:25 pm

G'day Simon, it's good to hear from you and i hope you realize what you helped me with was a god send but i have carried on further and now have got three supports from the back going forward and i am over the moon is an understatement :wink: .
Realistically i have four supports counting the back one that Robin glued to the pole and is screwed to the top of the rear body so i think that will be ample :embarassed: but i have been known for going over the top with just about everything i do so it's nothing different to the people that have known me a long time.
Today was not just a day for a bit of Romany painting of all the small bits i have made and fitted but i have also got the rear top indicators fitted so it's just a matter of wiring the top lights along with the interior light up then that job is done and dusted so to speak :nana: .
While i had the canopy extended with the center pole fitted it looks like i will be fitting hinges to the side of my top tail gate so i don't bang my head :shakehead: , while thinking along those lines on my dormobiled roofed 109 i have rams on the top and bottom tailgates so while i am at it i might fit myself a ram to keep the top tailgate open :woohoo: my brain and idea's is running away with me so i had better slow down :laugh:
My lass was late home tonight otherwise you would have got a picture or two but it was just to dark so another day maybe :shrug:

woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 am

I like the idea of using the rams so long as they are not too long or too powerful. I've still to dig out my cat flap as its buried in the rear of my other 109 but one day I'll sort it out. Glad to hear you've added plenty of extra support for the tubes
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Well chaps, that's the rear electrics all done for now apart from the interior light with a double function of one or two bulbs that fit's between the top tailgate hinges but like i think i mentioned a side opening rear cat flap is the way i am going.

With this in mind it means i can fit a once piece interior cover from side to side that will hide the top rear lights wiring and give me something to mount my interior light on much the same as the safari trim but instead of hard board i will be using marine ply either stained or with fabric if i can find some.

While tinkering with the back end my eye's kept being drawn to the front mountings of the tubes for the canopy which means i am not really happy with what i have made and done so maybe that could be a job for both sides tomorrow :shrug: we will see because from what i have been told i will be having some visitors :nana: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .