Rear canopy

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Rear canopy

Post by romanyrose » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:50 pm

G'day chaps, well i had a visit today from a member of this forum who had seen i had a few problems with the understanding of the fitting of the pull out canopy on the rear of my 88 :embarassed: even though he was on holiday he trundled over in his 109 and after a brew promptly set to and took off parts on the rear of the truck that were in the way although they will be fitted in a slightly different place probably tomorrow :shrug: .

Luckily the weather was kind to us and in his T shirt he set to measuring up my rear end marked it up dot punched the marks and with the relevant drills and hole cutters set to and did what needed to be done encountering a few issue's but they can be easerly solved by me and my bit of tinkering :wink: .

Because i have a headlining in the cab part of my roof the brackets for the lining will have to be lifted a tad so the tubes that the canopy are level and not forced downwards which makes the sliding of the frame work a tad on the stiff side which might eventually ware through {Simon ''Woolen on the forum'' } does not have a lining in the cab of his safari roof that was the difference to mine but like i said will easerly be rectified.

My top tailgate has the number plate stuck to it also a YUGO number plate light each side so the tailgate will not open until the canopy is pulled away from the roof a tad so i will make it so the position i can open the tailgate will correspond to how far the canopy is pushed in that will be permanent but a picture at a later date will help one understand :whistle: .

On the 88 safari roof with those small alpine windows i will have to make my own support to stop the flexing of the tube the rail slides in but that's only on the 88 the 109 is of course longer and more room to put the supports.

Well all i can say is i am a very happy man now my canopy is fitted and i can see how it was done the only issue's were me and my tinkering i guess coming up with ideas that don't need to be done but i do them because i just love tinkering which does pay off sometimes after i had shown Simon my horn pull switch :laugh: .

Catch you later Simon it was really appreciated :tiphat:
woollen797

Re: Rear canopy

Post by woollen797 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Love your horn pull maybe it's being brought up on movies like Convoy and Smokie and the Bandit now I have to set up a air horn and roof switch
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:48 pm

G'day chaps, having spent a good part of yesterday in my bed trying to warm the bottom part of my back to help with the discomfort of standing a lot the previous day it was back to tinkering with the making of two round alloy plates the size of a light fitting that Simon had to take off because it was in the way of the side poles of my new canopy.

Of course i have extra lights indicators and work light that were in the way and although Simon worked fast in a T shirt he was very careful and now i am making fillets for where the indicators on the top corner each side were mounted i then set to and made only one up till now semi circular plate that cover where the top indicator was situated.

I will be fitting everything back where it was prior to when the work was started but in a place that it does not interfere with my canopy basically because what was there was put there for a reason so why change it but then tinkering with angles and odd ball things is done because i enjoy doing something different :laugh: .

Tomorrow if it stays warm and dry i hope to finish the rear end of HEC and her new canopy thanks to Robin for knocking them up and like i mentioned Simon for coming over from his holiday at the sea side to install it a lot quicker than i could just thinking about it :whistle:

Hopefully after a bit of tucker a brew or two and a peaceful contented sleep i will be having another bash tomorrow :nana:

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Gday to all,
Here is the photos i have taken today, at last the rear canopy is fitted, not straight forward but then thats brad wanting his way.
Hope everyone is having a good christmas, and i wish you all a very happy new year.
Catch you all later
Jaynie
Attachments
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG (193.93 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG (177.58 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG (171.32 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:45 pm

Nice work Brad, and Simon :cheers:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:54 pm

G'day chaps, now back on my old faithful computer i can explain what was done and why but i guess it's easy to see that my top indicators have gone and what i have had to do to have the best of both worlds so to speak but fear not the indicators are just being fitted in a different place :whistle: .

The bracket that held my rear work light has had the center cut out so as to make provision for the center pole of the canopy so hopefully all being well tomorrow that will all go back on and i will be back to where i was before Simon started the job bless him :cheers: .

I am afraid the interior work will be a tad slower due to the twisting that is required to get my bulk of an aging body in a position so i can either finish off the rear which is to connect the electrics back up and make a couple of brackets out of wood in a similar way to what Robin has to support the tubes but with my 88 the alpine lights are in the way :shrug: but i will think of something :laugh: or maybe rob one of the other kits :wink:.

If i can stand tomorrow while working i might be able to make some brackets to lift the roof lining away from the tubes the canopy rail slides in but the that's tomorrow so i will see how i get on and who knows with a bit of rest the old back might let me get on :shrug: but hey!! i am going forward and getting there which is all that matters :cactus: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:05 pm

romanyrose wrote:...... make a couple of brackets out of wood in a similar way to what Robin has to support the tubes but with my 88 the alpine lights are in the way :shrug: but i will think of something :laugh: or maybe rob one of the other kits :wink:.
Brad, on the SWB with alpine windows, the support brackets fit just behind the alpine windows, as close as you can get to the rubber seal.

Just one support on each side.

That's how Searle fitted the supports in the SWB Searle Sleeper / mini Carawagon.

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:34 pm

G'day Robin, thanks for that matey so does that mean the front one Simon fitted needs to come out :shrug: and maybe that's why it is so high at the front in the roof lining :laugh: never mind one lives and learns sometimes :banghead: .

Catch you later and thanks. Brad :tiphat:
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Yes Brad - the SWB version only has one support on each side :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 pm

G'day Robin, just a question - I understand putting the support at the back so it stops the tube chattering in the hole, but what stops the front of the tube wagging when the poles are extended and weighing everything down? Would it hurt to put leave the support at the front to stop this?.

What glue did you use to hold the ring in place at the rear :shrug: so i can clean the holes out fit it back and let it dry before cracking on with another job which is to fit the rear work light now i have a hole in the center for the middle pole although that is not as easy as it seems having to cut a rubber backing the same shape with holes in the right place :shakehead: sometimes anyway.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more productive and less confusing but then i should have got used to that by now :thud:

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: