Off to the flockers

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
chippit

Off to the flockers

Post by chippit » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 am

So far
So far
Hi,
At last the carawagon roof is coming together, having made the decision to strip the old flock off it took a lot longer than I thought it would! The areas around the leaking alpine windows came off easily as did one or two damaged area in the middle, the rest was stuck very well.

Then I had to strip the top side which had been gloss painted over the pre-finished ali. Of course the original finish bubbled with paintstripper and the whole lot had to be removed back to bare aluminium. I then re-painted using a roller to get a slightly textured finish.

I fitted the fillet pieces last night using grey arbomast br (we have used it for putting windows and skylights in boats) it doesn't set like sikaflex) seems to seal better than alot of other products. Terrible stuff to work with but once you squidged it out everywhere it cleans up very nicely with a rag and white spirits.
Attachments
Before
Before
Ends ready to be fitted
Ends ready to be fitted
Part way through
Part way through
Damage to original flock lining
Damage to original flock lining
Peaceand

Re: Off to the flockers

Post by Peaceand » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:56 pm

That's impressive progress! Do you have any tips on scraping the flocking off the roof?
Like yours, mine has some damage under the windows where it's peeling off, so I am considering removing all the flocking, fixing the leaks and redoing it with the stick on flocking.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
chippit

Post by chippit » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:02 pm

I took the roof off about 2 years ago, it has taken me far too long, too much work, not enough play.

I did take the carawagon (with a normal landy roof) to Oban last year and camped in it for one night on the way to catch a ferry, but have decided that it is time to get it all back together before the winter.

I spent a couple of days on and off carefully scraping the flocking off the flocking roof :stars: using a very sharp bevel edged wood chisel being very careful not to dig in the corners or score the ali, the flock looked beige but when I removed the wooden blocks with the brass hinges on it is grey with a slight red fleck. I will ask the flockers on Wed. how they would have removed it.

I will let you know how I get on. I made a wooden frame to hold the bendy sheet and that has worked really well, I have been able to move it on my own without damaging it using the screw holes for the hinges to hold it all in place.

Regards Christine
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 am

Hi Christine,
I'd be interested to know how the flockers do it too, it sounds like a horrible job so anything to make it easier would be good. The frame to hold it is an excellent idea.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of yours finished and complete!

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
chippit

Post by chippit » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm

I am taking the roof to the flockers tomorrow so I will ask.

I initially clamped 2 pieces of wood to the ends of the roof to work on it but the clamps got in the way and it was not ideal.
The long pieces of the frame have halving joints on the ends and are made from thicker timber than the ends, that way they can be moved in or out to the right width then each joint has 3 screws to hold it square. The roof sits flat on the frame for painting the top surface (screws through the holes in the ali into the wood hold the roof in place) or the frame can be turned over and the roof then sits nicely on the other side of the frame for the flocking to be done, because of the different thickness between the long sides and endes of the frame it gives the offset for the thickness of the ridge.
Attachments
Roof secured to frame for top surface to be painted
Roof secured to frame for top surface to be painted