Patience i have but

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Patience i have but

Post by romanyrose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:02 am

G'day chaps, after managing to roll from my bed thinking i had heard something at my front door a nice parcel laid on my floor and it was an incomplete ignition switch with two keys from a guy off the series two club i have also had a message from Alex B again that is not complete but things are looking good :nana: .

Alex Thorpe sent a picture so another part is on it's way which means the need for two series three ignition switches with steering locks and provision for the chokes i think i now have enough i hope to fix the vehicles that are in need of them.

Of course my 88 HEC is priority due to it being my form of transport so i don't have to rely on other friends also if i get someone interested in my ambulance part of my problem of getting it out will be sorted although i did read Marty my good friend was going to hang me upside down off an engine crane to take pictures of the ambulance i can't get to but i had a better idea and volunteered my lass Janie who is a tad smaller but for some reason that did not go down well with unrepeatable language that hit me before l left the room in a bit of a hurry :shrug: i am sure i don't know why but i thought it was a good idea :laugh:

Thanks all that are helping it is really appreciated. Catch you R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Well the next instalment has been supplied by the other half by way of this photo. Explainations will follow later.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 pm

G'day chaps, patience but not regards taking pictures anyway :banghead: so sorry for that but having filled my recon steering box with lubricant i went on to my relay having found myself a long standard size holed grease nipple i proceeded to drill from the threaded part of the nipple up towards the small ball which meant the small spring has now gone and the ball will fall out.

Looking from the front of the truck the set bolt is larger so i loosen that to ex-spell the air the bolt nearest the inner wing is the one i use to fit my grease nipple to the hose to the funnel was a very tight fit but normally i clip it tight the funnel end has previously been warmed then press the funnel in so when cool it is a tight fit.

With the oil having been kept in the bungalow it's a tad warmer and soon seeps between the split bush so although it took a while fiddling my relay now has a nice smooth moment to it which is a lot better than it was having been stood for to long.

I have got some new tabs for the swivel pins and will be cleaning them up tomorrow both sides as a precaution check the preload and just put it back together which to honest is not a long job because i will be using new bolts :aaagh: Na! not really they are just cleaned up well on my wire wheel along with my finger ends.

I know i spend a lot of time lying down but honest it was took standing :whistle: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:47 pm

G'day chaps, i must say thanks to Robin who has rectified my picture one can now look straight at it rather than laying down to sort of understand what i have done :whistle: and i must say i can't remember my relay moving this well and not leaking oil but then i spent a good while cleaning the tapers up on the main shaft.

The dash is all back together but i seem to have lost the steering wheel which i bought for myself as a birthday present :shrug: it is from a mini cooper raised from the center with a nice wooden wheel to grab hold of which gives me room for my long legs and thinking about it that was over 20 years ago so how time flies but it will be safe :shrug: .

Bending or kneeling got the better of my back so after tea it was a case and try and find things ready for a fresh start tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 pm

G'day chaps, for a change i managed to get up at reasonable time so when i got myself going it was before dinner but i put that down to being in a relaxed mode with the thoughts of at last i might be achieving my goal :laugh: well at least going forward a bit more.
I gave up looking for my cooper steering wheel and chose a metro one that i had used many years ago so i can still have room for my legs it was then a case of centralizing it to the sweep of the steering box from there i fitted the steering link to the relay and made sure it cleared the bulkhead when on full lock turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction i made sure it was not fowling the front panel so i now has the same clearance front and back when on full lock :wink: .

After a brew the rest of the steering was assembled with everything falling into place :nana: i then just nipped the nuts up to see what it felt like and i am impressed at how smooth everything moves so hopefully tomorrow the o/side wing should be going on but again i have miss laid the nuts bolts and washers that i had already cleaned up so tomorrow i guess i will be making another set up but then for me that's normal :whistle: .

Time for a brew and a bit of tucker while feeling happy with what i have achieved today although not much to some to me i feel a tad nearer to going for my first trundle it what seems like a life time :woohoo: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :wine:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:34 pm

G'day chaps, i managed to crack on a tad earlier today so i hope i am not getting on anybodies nerves reporting on my daily tasks but i need as much of a push as possible and not finding it easy and a tad frustrating with others maybe reading my progress it gives me sort of a target to aim for :laugh: .

The excitement of what i achieved yesterday didn't last long and confusion set in :stars: even though the lights worked and indicators they suddenly developed a mind of there own so luckily for me having learnt from previous experience i had not fitted the outer skin of the off/side wing so i could see my wires and where they were clipped to the body etc.

Having never changed the loom in the chassis i thought i should take a better look so pulled the spare cable from out of the front of the chassis rail and low and behold where the original wiring met the new wires to the plug remembering it is a 2a with three bulkhead :aaagh: crimped terminals done using what looks like the cutting part of an old pair of pliers not the proper tool :banghead: .

Decision made and off withe wing to inspect the wires more closely and i will have enough room to fit soldered nipples and female terminals which are ready and waiting but my back called it a day and packed up a lot slower than when i started.

I am always being asked why are you doing this or that because if it is not broke don't touch it :shrug: well it went for an MOT passed but a good few miles under the wheels it would have broke at some point maybe frying my alternator with a short or just left me with no lights/ignition and probably stuck in the middle of know where at some unearthly hour :cactus: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :wine: and lots of it :thud:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:06 am

G'day chaps, i have not a lot to report due to being unable to find my electrical connections and of course the rain :shrug: however after a week or so probably a lot longer to be honest success was made but not by me one but one of my visitors that joined in the hunt :laugh: .

I have a grey box full of assorted connection that you solder and i must say i prefer even though some say when the connections have been soldered it makes the join brittle it's the way i prefer but i also use the crimp because i have the tool to do the job unlike what has been used by a PO before i acquired the truck.

Anyway to cut a long story short after searching my work place which is a job in it's self the younger member decided to look in the 88 HEC that i have been working on [ I SAY is this what you have been looking for] :thud: er yep :whistle: where were they ''the voice replied'' in the cab :banghead: all i can say is they must have been covered over from prying eyes wanting to borrow some and i had forgotten :laugh: so for the past week i have been looking for them and they were under my nose all the time so i guess that's judgement on me for hiding them so others don't help there selves :embarassed: .

At least i found a pulley for a member on here i now just have to find the nut but maybe another day when it's not throwing it down. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Brad,

It's great to have a running commentary of your exploits :cheers:

Every day I think - ah yes, I've done that as well! How many of us have 'lost' something right under their nose, then 'found' it when they weren't looking for it later :shrug:

Keep it up - I'm sure you'll be back on the road soon.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:23 pm

G'day chaps, well as usual i got up with good intentions but the cold breeze and damp weather did not help my concentration one bit so the three dust bins around me along with an old sheet from my motor cycle days of keeping it dry sort of deflecting the wind it was tools out time.

This job meant doing one wire at a time so it was a case of get one joint apart cut off the old bullet and female connector then strip the outer covering off both apply flux hold nipple in the flame till hot enough to melt solder ''but not in the flame'' when the nipple is hot enough away from the flame run solder into the nipple and fit as quick as you can the nipple to the bare fluxed wire hold for a few seconds joint done.

Do the same with opposite wire trim off solder which you will find having done it this way for many years will be very little but at first you might have a tad to much because of overfilling the nipple however wasting solder is something you will learn to avoid but with the nipples clean because of the flux and the heat you can now join up using the proper connector for soldered bullets ending up with a neat looking join.

Sorry i am not one for putting things in writing and have probably made it sound complicated but it is far from that unless the call of nature happens more because of the brews i drink to keep warm neighbors stopping me for a chat knocking the gas canister over breaking it so i had to go on my noddy car to Asda for a new canister so i could finish off the soldering before it rained and got dark.

:aaagh: when i got back things had moved :shrug: i forgot what was what and went where so another brew my neighbor put his head over the fence and asked if i was done :shakehead: but as calmly as i could i explained what i had done something clicked in my head and low and behold :woohoo: everything works as it should through my relays :stars: .

I don't know what i did but when i get stuck sometimes bouncing off someone of what i have done and where you have got to helps me realize the simple mistake one makes when your interrupted but it also works both ways or is that just me and my complexed mind. Catch you later. R-Rose :wine: or two :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Yes chaps it's me and i just thought i would share this moment of FINDING MY STEERING WHEEL :banghead: it was in my engine shed :shrug: i don't know but i blame it on the elves that live in my garden that now have a key to my shed :thud: the little tinkers. A confused R-Rose :laugh: