Patience i have but

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Patience i have but

Post by romanyrose » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:58 pm

G'day chaps, well i am here again but this time with better news :wink: having my trusted avo at the ready along with my book i try and right things that confuse me down in my day on the 88 began so one step at a time i sorted the constant feeds to the relays when my master switch is turned on, the earths were already in place on the chassis/bodywork so they were routed neatly and connected to the relevant terminals.

Time for another brew and a think before cracking on with the wires from the switches to the trigger terminals on the relays again checking my routing so it is at least neater than before after which with another brew it was test time with the avo on the relevant terminals that feed the cooling fan which also goes through a thermo coupling so i have the best of both worlds turning it on manually if the coupling breaks :shrug: .

My horns-dip and main beam go through separate relays as do my brake lights but the best one of all is my ignition switch to the coil so my starter dose not drain all the power from battery when firering here up.

Yes maybe i have made a rod for my own back but everything is done for a reason in my mind anyway just incase having been caught out in the past in different situations :banghead: so maybe tomorrow i can get Marty to help me slip the rebuilt steering box that i acquired from Jonny of the navyboyz back in :whistle: well i am hoping anyway.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 pm

G'day chaps, well after repainting the column of the steering box after scratching it allover while trying to lift it in position on my own i took the bulkhead support out of the way then tried threading the column up through the series three bulkhead again on my own :banghead: .

My arms are just not long enough to support the splined steering wheel part of the column to go up through the dash while trying to put a bolt in the bottom end without pulling wires out so before i started :rant: i down tools put my Belstaff jacket on that seems to have shrunk over the past 20years :laugh: Cromwell pudding basin helmet that had seen better days and gloves that are older than the above fired up the new to me low rider V twin and tootled off down the road.

:cactus: Wrong!!! tootle not on your life :aaagh: it nearly pulled my arms off what with the gears on the wrong side and brakes that worked i soon forgot about being brassed off buut soon arrived at the landrover workshop i use firstly for a brew then my sets of lock tabs i like to keep in stock either for the swivels or back plates another brew then a journey home a tad slower but that was due to the traffic.

Tomorrow is another day and i have everything laid out ready in case i get a caller for a brew but this time they will have to earn it by helping me fit my steering column :whistle: i must say there is a lot to be said about the earlier 1-2-2a model bulkheads that are a doddle on your own but the these things are sent to try us i guess :shrug: .
Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 pm

G'day chaps, well after a goon nights rest and being knocked up by the ex copper that did me for speeding in 1968 on my Matchless chop i answered the door we had a chin then i was summoned to his home to inspect some heavy duty shelving and old car manuals by the box load.
Getting my push bike out having lost the key for my noddy car i went round and a deal was done as it is heavy duty stuff so i biked home made a brew then action began all be it slow with the old wiring discolored i labeled the wires on the ignition switch and put it out of the way so with everything nicely painted assembly began with brackets greased so they slid up the column i now have the column loosely bolted to the bulkhead.
Not having noticed the state of the layers of paint on the bulkhead support and the box section that bolts round the steering box with relevant parts bolted in the vice all the old paint was removed a quick rub down and they are now primed.
Tomorrow after painting the above with undercoat i am going to add a thin shim to the near side to swivel pin so both swivels pull at the same poundage after which it will be time to top coat the above then move on to the steering relay although rebuilt a good while ago i will be putting some 140 grade oil in and by then night should be with me and i might have a tinker in the garage to get parts ready to put the old gal back together.
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm

nice to hear your making progress. Do you warm the 140 oil up to thin it down before using it?
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:17 pm

G'day chaps, today is not a good day for much work/tinkering at all the biggest job was to just get the legs to do as they were told so a bit of painting to what was done yesterday then a bit of pondering of what to do next and how i was going to go about it :shrug: .
To be honest i thought a ride on my bicycle would help so off i went to measure this heavy duty shelving but it seemed to take forever and i am sure my legs have had an argument with my brain as it was like torcher and i was glad to get home for a brew and to be honest that's all i could muster today.
Regards warming the oil no i don't but i will get my lass to put up a picture how i do it for all to see as a picture speaks a thousand words as they say but that won't be today i am afraid.
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 pm

G'day chaps, having had to take the ignition switch out to help with the insertion of the steering column[series 3] it is now in place and the main supports fitted loosely it was a case of fitting the ignition switch/steering lock come choke assembly but then i found the main source of my electrical feed problems i had been having a few weeks ago now a main feed to the ignition switch :banghead: .
With the colour of the feed being brown and flat batteries on my pencil torch i can now see why i couldn't see it hiding deep in the bottom part of the dash :thud: so first thing tomorrow i will be nipping round to Asda for some xxxx batteries to shed a bit more light on the job without taking anything else apart.
The good news today was i fetched with the help of Marty a gas kit for HEC complete and ready to fit along with a series 3 bulkhead that just needs a foot again for the above truck but at a later date so thanks go to the club member it is appreciated big time :wine: .
The terminals on the back of the ignition switch are a tad loose so that is a job to do before connecting up wires and final assembly of the steering column and ignition switch i can then get cracking on topping up the relay with the nice thick oil which will take a while due to having to compress the bushes down a tad for the oil to flow past the split bushes after which the wing can go back on :wink: .
I now have more work than before to do but at least i will be able to do some gathering of parts that i have at other peoples places :woohoo: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 pm

G'day chaps, after an exciting day yesterday i have managed to get the steering box using the relevant shims bolted to the bulkhead so hopefully tomorrow the wiring will be connected to the ignition switch the bolted to the steering column not that it will be straight forward :whistle: .

The steering lock come ignition switch can sometimes be a little monkey to get located without pulling wires off the back of the switch and of course the choke cable can be a tinker to just to get it through the bulkhead where you want it to go :laugh: .

I do sometimes wish i had persevered with a series two bulkhead i have but then at the time the Landrover i bought for my late father didn't care what type it was so we used the best series three one i had for him to just tinker with which was the hole idea i guess.

I can't say i am looking forward to tomorrow but then in life you have to take the rough with the smooth which makes one really appreciate a series two bulkhead but then each to there own i guess.

Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Sounds like it's all coming together! It may be taking a while but when it's done, you'll be sure it's done right and painted nicely too.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 pm

G'day Patrick, :roll: well i am not so sure about people liking my paint work it's either done with a roller or paint brush the smallest brush being an 1/8 of an inch if that i will also be painting it with a bit of free hand sign writing but i have a lot to do before that.
What i will say is you will know it is me and will have my late fathers influence in mind also the sixties era along with the Romany effect so although colorful now this is just a practice run for my 109 Dormobiled roofed 24 come 12volt truck either a gassed 2-1/4 petrols or a diesel in one as i have two kits now.
Although if i wake up above ground feeling no wood with my elbows on the sides i am at a happy time of my life :wink: even happier when i can get back to trundling around getting lost because i remember traveling those road years ago after i knocked 200,00 miles up on my Matchless chop.
I take nothing from life for granted and can't wait to get back to traveling even though i can't leave the country these days i have those memories of when my late father and i did plenty of that.

Again sorry for the waffling :whistle: , Catch you later R-Rose :wine: :wine:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 pm

G'day chaps, and i thought i was going to have a productive day :shakehead: while cleaning up the ignition switch come steering lock i decided the terminals that wobbled about either needed a small center punch or cleaning up and soldering so not wanting to bang about to much and make matters worse i went for the latter.

I left the iron to warm up while i cleaned everything spotless so working with my flux and solder the terminals are all tight but what i failed to notice was at some point the Bakelite had been glued together so when heat was applied the glued bit fell off :banghead: .

Another small job is going to take longer than hoped but i took it apart by removing the two screws only to find the ignition switch i bought from a jumble had been apart before had two extra screw holes drilled in completely the wrong places so really i am pleased what happened did :wink: i just need the Bakelite part with the terminals so any volunteers to go a hunting thinking i might have seen one in the past but how long ago that was i hate to think :thud: .

Ah well! tomorrow is another day and by then i might have remembered :roll: not a chance.