HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Here's something Brad didn't do or expect, like many of his jobs though it took longer than expected.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Jaynie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Well done Jaynie :gold:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:29 pm

As you can see it is not just me that has been busy but my lass having bought a couple for 50 pence each i recon she has done well although it's a shame about the picture on it's side it really made my day :nana: .

Although i was very wobbly this morning as the day went on a short trundle with my little dog i was sorted in my mind as to what might happen today :whistle: and it won't be looking for those elusive parts neither having made up my mind to use what i have found AGAIN :laugh: .

The almost triangular plates where the anti loose pins should be fitted are handed and i have one with a hole for the pin and one without so a mirror image gave me the position for a hole to be drilled so i now have a pair with a set of a tad smaller pins that will support the front end of my bed extension.

Measure twice drill once :shakehead: not me i lost count with figures a tape measure and i just don't get on :stars: but i cracked it in the end and now have both plates mounted 4 inches below the top plates with the anti loose pins on :woohoo: and time for a brew and some :eatin: .

The smaller pins i came across have there own threaded shank if that's the proper word :shrug: it was now down to drilling the holes in stages so less chance of mistakes then fit the pins with a large as possible penny type washer on the inside which just happens to be under the rear wheel arch, it was then just to dark to carry on outside and to be honest i had done enough for one day so pack up and call it a day very happy and content with how my day has gone so i should sleep tight tonight.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 pm

As usual a tad on the tired side yesterday i forgot to say with the smaller type pin's having a threaded section after drilling the holes for the pin's there was a good few layers/thickness of alloy, so to tap a thread first the same as the pins i thought was a good idea to help take my bulk along with the large thick washer and nut.

Before i had fitted the storage box on the rear of the near side rear light panel i made sure the alloy was solid before mounting the box but what i didn't do was change the galv corner section due to it having had a bash or two :aaagh: and to make it worse i have just come across a nice galvanized pair :banghead: .

Anyway with the galv plate any anti loose pin fitted to support the front part of my bed extension i thought it best to remove an oblong section of chequer plate on the off side that a number plate had been stuck to :shakehead: , the rest of the day was spent cutting and splicing in another section of alloy :thud: .

The back body and to be honest the hole truck had been butchered when i bought it for my late father so i should not be surprised but then she has worked hard for me during my big move and although i do things my way i do try and make a half decent job however i just couldn't face taking the hole back panel off when it is well strong enough as it is and covered by a new number plate anyway :embarassed: .

I treated what rust i could, etch primed the alloy then a good undercoat before a thin top coat with another top coat hopefully getting done in the morning :laugh: i then might get my lass to take a picture to help people understand what i am waffling on about.
Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Hey up chap's, i must say i like it when things go as one would like :wink:, due to it making me anyway relaxed and able to think straight even when i got round to seeing how my paint came out with it turning really cold last night i was not surprised to see it needed a light rub over.

After hunting as usual for a fine grade wet and dry i found some that had enough life in it to do the job then wipe off the excess water and go for a brew by which time it was dry so wiped the surface with clean wipes to remove any oil's from your hands or fingers having masked off the light's or anything else that didn't need painting unlike yesterday when i was able to do it free hand :shrug: .

With the paint having a good stir i applied my usual bit of masking tape across the edge of the tin to wipe off the excess paint from my brush got down on my knee's with my favorite well worn brush in hand and i am away although not perfect a blind man would be pleased to see it and i don't have a fit of some sort when someone knock's a lump of paint off :laugh: .

With it being a lot warmer today and me being able to finish before it started turning cool i just hope when i pull the masking tape off tomorrow it will be OK and i can go on to another little job.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Here we are again more photos.
Enjoy, Jaynie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (217.36 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (216.25 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Well i hope the pictures make some sense to those who read my post's although that is my table put in place to give you some idea what i am waffling on about :whistle: , with the bed iron that i have cut and in the process of marking and drilling holes darkness and the stress of trying to stand up straight got the better of me :shakehead: .

Not wanting to pack up early with the warm night i sat on my chair laid my grey painted landrover badge off the back panel on a flat surface and set to with a bit of free hand painting of the protruding letters of the badge not perfect but free hand which is what i prefer :wink: , to get a bit of depth i might even add some lacquer :laugh: .

I have cut the marine ply for my bed section which is more in keeping with the shape of the tailgate but with the corners rounded slightly :wink: basicly me and sharp edges have a habit of colliding with each other :aaagh: .

Having taken a good look tonight while supping a brew i came to the conclusion i might just use the bed section as the table but then i like being spoiled for choice so we will see how it goes.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:20 pm

G'day chaps, well with lots of thinking and going over the top just incase i had contact from a biker bud & his wife from 27 years ago after they had spent a good few years trying to get hold of me :whistle: for a chat about old times so nothing serious :laugh: .

I asked about some larger standard anti loose pins for my bed which he just happened to have so he bought them over today in his 109 200TD and what a beast it is sound's crisp without the turbo and enough power for him which is all that matters.

I fetched a 2 ton lathe from Manchester with my tired 88 diesel and he has been making Stainless nut's and bolt's and what ever else anyone need's as long as it is stainless since, anyway we talked for what seemed hour's and he now has an order from me which included some shackle bolts in steel with a grease nipple's, a tool to help with the stripping and rebuilding the the steering relay, pin's in stainless for the vent flap's, stainless nut's bolt's & washers for the bumper to name just a few and he only came over to bring me the two larger anti loose pin's :nana: .

Not a lot i know regard's the work but at least i am a lot happier with the bigger size that again have a nice long thread after the shank are now cleaned up with the wire wheel and treated with rust inhibitor ready for what i hope is a full sort of day's tinkering tomorrow.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 pm

I am at it again having fitted the smaller anti loose pin's i decide to take the smaller ones off and replace with the larger size which meant drilling and tapping threads like i did with the smaller pin's.

Rather than reuse the dexion because of it's weight/lightness i thought i would use the last bit of angle iron from what was a frame work of an old bunk bed that was mind when a young lad and was also used for my two son's now in there forties :embarassed: .

What was put in that steal i don't know but it was not good quality stuff although i guess it's served it's purpose over so many year's and what will probably be it's last job i guess i will or should treasure it but at least i have the memories :laugh: .

Tomorrow will be a case of cutting another section of marine ply so the level of my bed extension is the same level of my false floor and same size as my water proof mattress that has been in the back of HEC for a good few years just in case, as for where it was stored while the truck was in use with only being 3 inches thick it was partly down one side across the rear bulkhead and what was left down the other side held in place with small bungees :wink: and yes it's very comfy when laid out so what type of filling it has must be good.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:34 pm

With it being a bit on the frosty side this morning i was kicking myself for not putting my top coat paint inside so it was a tad thick to say the least, anyway i put it in the conservatory to warm up in the sun while i went back out to crack on.

Now i was given some inch thick marine ply the other week and put it safe :shrug: , of all the places i could have put it to keep dry for what ever reason i had put in my electrical shed :stars:, why i don't know but at least it was dry :laugh: .

Having measured what i needed to cut off and get it all marked up i thought it best to drill the holes in the angle iron that the ply would be bolted to in stages like above, due to this bed iron being a tad on the tough side i cleaned off the burrs by which time my paint had warmed up and went on so much better :whistle: .

While my paint brush was out my helper had been busy rubbing parts down for me so before cleaning the brush totally i gave these alloy parts a coat of etching primer cleaned the brush and called it a night happy at what i had achieved which means a good night's sleep.