OK! Who nicked my brakes!!

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

OK! Who nicked my brakes!!

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:06 am

Hi all

Got home from Peterborough, but cannot say it was a safe journey! When I jumped in the Dormobile to set off home, the brake pedal felt different. The brakes had been excellent on the journey to the show, as they had all summer. I drove up and down the grass and tested the brakes. The still felt strange, but the Dormobile stopped ok.

All was well until we came off the M62, to join the M606 into Bradford. Coming down the steep slip road, the brakes completely failed and I had to use the gears to slow us. Luckily, the inside lane was empty, so we took a little detour. Does make ones heart jump when you hit the brakes and the vehicle speeds up. Having a trailer on the back, was not help at all!!

The 5 speed box and its syncros came into its own driving the rest of the way home. We only had one near miss, again down hill onto a roundabout. After that most of the junctions were on the flat or up hill, where gravity helped our plight.

As I have lost no fluid, I guess the seals have gone on the master cylinder. Bit disappointing as it is not that old (<5 years) and I do not buy cheap brake parts.

Hopefully have new cylinder fitted for the Overland Show.

Mick
RMS

Re: OK! Who nicked my brakes!!

Post by RMS » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 am

Aaaaagh! :aaagh:

Not nice - I've only had total failure once, in an old Vauxhall Viva, and that was at the end of our road so just 100 yards from home.

I'm not sure I'd like to drive any distance without brakes - well done Mick :cheers:

Hope you get it sorted for this weekend.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
gossamer

Re: OK! Who nicked my brakes!!

Post by gossamer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Glad you're OK, Mick.
To infirmary and beyond!