Dormobile roof springs

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
AlexB

Dormobile roof springs

Post by AlexB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I have asked this in the past but either didn't understand the answer or didn't get to know what I needed to know, so, hwat is the correct way to tension the lift arms spring please?

Are they tensioned at all?
Do they loop under or over the bit that sticks out on the arm?
Are they tensioned / adjusted / fitted when the roof is down or up?

My reckoning is that they are fitted when the roof is up with little or no tension so that when the roof goes down , it tightens the spring, making it easier, in theory, to lift.

Any opinions / facts please?

Certainly have been a few of you who have done this - hopefully all the same way?
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Re: Dormobile roof springs

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 pm

My understanding is that the roof springs are lightly under tension when the roof is up in order to give the maximum lift assistance when the roof is down. However, be aware that you can only tension them so far as if you put too much tension on the springs, as you lower the roof, the springs wind up and you can end up snapping them.

Do use the internal straps to secure the roof as well. Don't just rely on your exterior roof latches. You don't want the roof flying open at an inopportune moment!

Cheers,
Ian
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Alex

Never had one off. so cannot help, but know where they are made.

Mick
Troika

Post by Troika » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Apolgies for reopening an old thread, but having embarked on a determined effort to have all three vehicles operational/mot'd/used this year have opted to replace the springs on one vehicle, however the problem encountered is as follows, on one old vehicle as soon as I release the external catches, the whole roof raises itself on the spring assisters to almost full height, and only requires a gentle push upward from inside to extend to the point the locking pins pop out, this of course makes lowering and stowing the roof single-handed interesting, but not impossible.

My problem is that having installed the new spring assisters and poles in the project vehicle, in what appears to be the same orientation, it works in the opposite direction, i.e. it requires a herculean push from inside and is akin to a mouse trap when lowering the roof, albeit with my head in the way if not paying attention. So whats the correct installation purpose, as an aid to raising the roof on site or ensuring it cannot deploy accidentaly whilst speeding down the motorways? :shrug:

Which way does your work?
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Troika wrote:Which way does your work?
My Dormy's roof needs a push to elevate but nothing one person can't easily manage. Consequently, it will lower under its own weight (just) but is easy to control with one hand while tucking the cover between the tensioning frames.

So the answer probably lies somewhere between the two extremes you have !

HTH
Ian
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Surely the point of the springs is to assist elevation which means that the mousetrap effect is totally wrong.
Troika

Post by Troika » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

AlexB wrote:Surely the point of the springs is to assist elevation which means that the mousetrap effect is totally wrong.

My thoughts as well Alex, but kit comes with no instructions to aid installation, could not see anyway to pretension the spring prior to bolting up the pole, tension is introduced as roof is raised hence the rapid descent, and spring cannot be installed other way round as the peg it engages with is part of the mounting bracket.

Will try a call to Dormobile tomorrow.

G.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Have you got the mounting brackets fitted the wrong way around ? The springs should definitely lift the arms up not pull them down !

I can't check at the moment (Dormy is in the carport blocked in by the car) but IIRC the brackets are fixed down by two bolts and can be turned around.

Ian