Carawagon roof

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
gossamer

Carawagon roof

Post by gossamer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi chaps

How difficult would it be to fashion one's own carawagon style roof?

I have never studied one close up.

Any comments (preferably constructive) will be received with interest.
To infirmary and beyond!
RMS

Re: Carawagon roof

Post by RMS » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:44 am

To be honest, there are easier ways to pop a roof!

The Carawagon roof, although looking fairly simple in design, wouldn't be the easiest project to start from scratch - measurements are really critical to get everything lifting/folding correctly, and the alloy panel isn't mere aluminium (which would work harden and crack with repeated bending & straightening) but a special alloy.
BigDave on here has recently replaced his alloy sheets with the correct material, so perhaps a PM to him might be a starting point.

Before I got my first Carawagon I was intending making a lifting roof similar to an X-Panda HERE.
Although tht brochure is for a SWB, I couldn't see why the same design couldn't be used for a LWB.
Note that the X-Panda hinges at the back - I assume because the top of the screen wouldn't be strong enough to take the full weight of the roof. My intention was to make a rectangular steel or alloy box frame, something like 3"x1" to add strength and then hinge the roof on the frame at the front, which I think would be more useful internally.

Of course, if you really want the classic look of a Carawagon roof, I'm sure someone with a Carawagon near you would let you have a good look and take measurements :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
gossamer

Re: Carawagon roof

Post by gossamer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks, Robin.

I agree hinging at the front would be more useful.

See you soon.
To infirmary and beyond!