Carawagon road springs

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
dpaz

Carawagon road springs

Post by dpaz » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:29 pm

What is the feeling about the best springs for the back of a Carawagon? Are H/D a good idea or are they too hard? It
has been on normal 10 leaf SW springs for many years, not being run heavy loaded most of the time.
Peaceand

Re: Carawagon road springs

Post by Peaceand » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Not sure about the standard springs, but mine has 4 leaf parabolics on the back and rides very nicely, with no sign of sagging in the 3 or 4 years I've owned her (And however many years since the previous owner fitted them).

Patrick

:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi

I have a Dormobile with Rocky Mountain 4 leaf Parabolics and I am very happy with them. From what I have read, The Carawagon is slightly heavier when empty, so if I were you, I would go heavy duty. Also, Our heads are nearest the rear door when in bed and the strong springs keep our heads higher than our feet. We always get a good night sleep, which is very important when travelling long distances.

Cheers Mick
dpaz

Post by dpaz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Ah well it looks like bite the bullet and go parabolic. Cheers all.
Dave
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Do the "Rocky Mountain Parabolics" raise the vehicle much ??? I purchased a set of parabolic springs second hand (never fitted) which I believe came from "Paddocks" in the uk, but when I fitted the rear set it raised the vehicle about 60mm and the rear prop shaft fouled on the hole it goes through just before attaching to the diff.
They were also very boingy and made the vehicle feel like it was going to tip over round bends. I put this down to them being a cheap spring and got rid of them.

Are the Rocky Mountain ones worth the cost ??
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Are the Rocky Mountain ones worth the cost ??
Difficult to say as they are the only parabolics I have had fitted to My Dormobile. The bushes they come from the factory are unique and not of the best quality. I have had to sleeve them and to take Land Rover spec polybushes.

All 4 leaf parabolics will lift the vehicle, with the idea that when you load the vehicle for a trip, the vehicle will settles at a sensible ride height. As for body roll, there is a bit, which is not surprising with all the extra weight the Dormobile roof adds, but the wheels still stay stuck to the road. The whole idea of fitting them is that they are more supple then standard springs. They do give a good ride when loaded (when empty, the vehicle is over sprung, but never empty) and off road, they have alway kept the tyres firmly touching the ground.

Am I thinking of changing them? No. Will I fit them to the Carawagon I am about to restore, probably not as the cheaper alternative brands were tested in Morocco on Steve's and Patrics Carawagon gave no trouble what so ever, as far as I know. Also, there is a pair of 4 leaf rears in my shed, which may have come from Paddocks. Like yours they are second hand, but have never been fitted. So, in a year or so I may be able to finally answer your question.
dpaz

Post by dpaz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

I have just fitted , with a bit of a struggle a pair of Paddock 4 leaf parabolics. The tow hitch is now 24" off the ground. It was 14" but the old springs were flat. I have had to move the check straps down a hole to get some slack and the prop shaft is a bit close to the chassis hole. But, when I jump up and down on the back step it mooves !!! Never did before, Oh yes, it looks like I need longer shocks or move the mountings up a bit (from the bottom) . Any comments?
Dave
dpaz

Post by dpaz » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:08 pm

400 mls on it has settled at 6" higher . I lengthened the shocks with extensions on the bottom bolts, seems to work Ok. The only problem is getting in. I have some defender steps so they will be modified and fitted.I'm a bit concerned by the angle between the diff and propshaft it looks a bit steep, the shaft is still close to the hole in the chassis. would wedging the axle be a good idea?
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 am

dpaz, sorry to resurrect your scribblings, but I was wondering how the Paddocks parabolic springs have lasted? Its about 2 years since you last reported on them (in this thread).

Many thanks, Sam