Why we hoard stuff!

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
CaptainSlow

Why we hoard stuff!

Post by CaptainSlow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Not directly Landy related, but this justifies why we hoard spares...

My daily driver is a Volvo estate (sorry). Not your typical one, its a 250bhp, 4WD top of the range one, albeit approaching 20 years old. Its a V70R AWD for those into Volvos. Anyway, one of my brake calipers decided to seize last week - the piston seal had perished, moisture had got inside it and the piston had rusted and eventually seized when I hit the brakes. No real drama, just that the brake dragged badly after that but I was able to drive the remaining couple of miles home. Thats the background.

My previous daily driver was a similar Volvo estate, just not 4WD. I'd bought a set of calipers and pads for that car but never got around to fitting them, and so they've been sat on a shelf in the garage for a few years. Fast forward to today, and a quick check confirmed the calipers were identical :woohoo:

As I set about removing them I came to the conclusion that the brake flexi hose was rusted in tight. The nut was getting badly rounded and if I did manage to release it I doubt I'd be able to torque it back up after refitting... Which got me thinking again. I had seen a box of Goodridge brake hoses in the garage when I dug out the calipers... would they fit? They were marked up as FWD 16in wheels only - not 4WD 17in wheels, so I wasn't hopeful. But when I took the hoses out they were identical to the ones on the car! Result! So I've been able to replace the calipers, pads and hoses without buying anything new :nana:

So now whenever wifey starts complaining about the amount of spares that I have accumulated, I'll be able to relate today's good fortune and hopefully she'll agree that its a good idea NOT to throw out all these old parts which we seemingly have no further need for! :neener:

Mind you, I'm not sure I'll ever have a Citroen ZX ever again... Radio console for a ZX anyone?
gossamer

Re: Why we hoard stuff!

Post by gossamer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:45 pm

There is NEVER too much stuff. (ask Brad)

Merely insufficient storage.
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Why we hoard stuff!

Post by romanyrose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 am

G'day chaps, i call things trinkets that are also known as doofers :shrug: they will do for another day :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: