200 / 300 tdi Conversions....

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Re: 200 / 300 tdi Conversions....

Post by jerryd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Robin,
Mine is a "4 pot chassis" as the six cylinder motor was a holden conversion which was a popular Australian conversion done later. So I need the original 2.25 petrol engine mounts that are bolted to the block ?? which are then bolted to the 200 tdi defender motor's block ?? which will then sit snugly on the original chassis mounts :stars:

This is before I even think about the wiring :laugh:
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Ah, perfect - nice and easy.

Yes, get 2.25 engine mounts and they bolt straight on to the 200TDi block.
There are three threaded holes each side of the block for the engine mounts. The original Disco (and I assume Defender) mounts use the rear two - the 2.25 mounts use the front two - ready made for the job :cheers:

You will also need to modify the flywheel housing to clamp the ladder section between the sump and block as the Series bellhousing doesn't have bolt holes there - some folk don't do it and don't have any problems, but personally I think if it had them in originally then it's a good idea to fit them.

There's a write-up HERE. It describes fitting the 200 without the turbo, just ignore the bit about removing the turbo and blanking off oil feeds :wink:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:27 pm

IIRC, there is something nasty about the pump that gets in the way on a defender lump. A disco is easier, but the defender turbo means that you can mate a defender down pipe to a six pot exhaust
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks Robin , I was quite sure that the defender 200 tdi unit fits with no major dramas which is why I've spent months searching for one. You have to understand that they are like trying to find a "holy grail" over here :laugh: so to find a low mileage one in good condition is a real bonus.
We removed it from the vehicle yesterday and today we are going to fit my 300 tdi unit into this vehicle, I had previously made one of those huge engine mounts (sreies2 forum) that the oil filter fits through so shouldn't have any dramas getting it to fit into this vehicle. I'll report back later .....

I'd already modified my gearbox bellhousing for the 300tdi motor so I'm hoping that the flywheel housing on this motor will fit straight on, I might even have a trial fit of this motor before I do any work on it to make sure I'm happy with it.

Alex your post has confused me slightly , mine is a 4 pot chassis and the existing exhaust was custom made when converted to a holden six cylinder motor. All seems okay according to this -
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/200 ... nIntro.htm

This will have to wait though as me and the boys are off camping / fishing for a few days after new years eve :woohoo: This will be the last time the dormobile will be used for a few months .

Happy New Year to you all :wine:
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 am

AlexB wrote:IIRC, there is something nasty about the pump that gets in the way on a defender lump. A disco is easier, but the defender turbo means that you can mate a defender down pipe to a six pot exhaust

I think your right Alex, it would appear the Defender unit doesn't "drop in" easily. A bit p....d off now as my 300 tdi motor is gone and I now have a 200 tdi defender unit that still won't fit without surgery
The idea of the engine swap was that I was led to believe the defender 200 tdi would drop straight in on original mounts :banghead:

Proof is in the pudding - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=54395

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/200 ... ersion.htm

Back to the drawing board....... :cactus:
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:02 pm

Ah yes, sorry about the mis-information Jerry :embarassed:

I haven't done a 'Defender' 200TDi install, but have seen one - Steve (WhiteKnight on here) has one in his Carawagon so didn't realise the pump was in the way.

I think, from memory, Steve's might have had a Disco injection pump fitted to his Defender engine to get around the problem, but couldn't be certain.

Obviously, here in the UK it would be fairly easy to drop on a Disco pump, but I understand you might struggle over there :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 pm

After trawling the net it would appear that if I cut off the right hand chassis mount and weld on the original 2.25 mount from the engine block upside down onto the chassis, this will then be in the correct position to accept the 200 tdi defender unit :stars:

As I've no chance of finding the discovery parts needed to swap onto the defender unit, I'll have to cut the chassis mount off and go from there. My plan now is to go ahead and fit this motor as it is, get it working so that I can test drive it and see if I want to keep it in there. If I do I will then remove it again, overhaul any worn parts, tidy it up and paint it etc. etc.
Marque

Post by Marque » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Jerry
Would a post on the s2c forum be of use. It is a broad church & more likelihood you will find the parts you need.
M
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi Marque,
I'm already a member on the s2c forum even though mine's a series 3 :whistle:
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:00 pm

A bit of an update on the 200tdi dormobile saga.......

I recently purchased an old defender for my son to salvage some goodies from to put on his defender, rocksliders, tubular winch bar, suspension upgrade kit, swing away carrier etc etc . Turns out this defender has a nice near new Ashcroft LT77 gearbox in it too :woohoo:
So after taking off everything we need I find a buyer in Sydney who wants the remains of this defender and wants to purchase my 200tdi motor also. He arranged for a lady friend to collect it on his behalf which was great, in the meantime while waiting I found an old discovery 200tdi for sale near Sydney. I tried to make contact with this seller for four weeks but could get no reply :shrug: then the day before the defender is to be collected he rang me about it. He said it ran and we agreed a price on the engine only, he also agreed to take it out ready for collection even though it was pouring down with rain and this car was in the middle of a paddock.
I rang the lady who was driving up to collect the old defender and she agreed to do a slight detour and collect my new engine for me. :nana: What a result
So I now have a complete discovery motor including the radiator + intercooler etc. Two days after this happened I was enquiring about finding a used 300 tdi defender manifold at my local land rover dealer, when the chap said I've got one for sale in the back of my car :cheers: Deal was quickly done and I've also picked up a brand new turbo at a bargain price :whistle:

So I'm quite chuffed that after months and months of searching I've finally found all the right bits to do a 200 tdi conversion and it all happened within a week. Not sure if I'm going to use the LT77 gearbox yet, but if I do I will retain the original transfer case and move the engine forward.