Dormobile hybrid from Arizona

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Teriann
Info: 1960 Dormobile Hybrid

Dormobile hybrid from Arizona

Post by Teriann » Sat May 30, 2015 5:22 pm

As usual I am late to the party but in this case it is because I tend not to spend time on forums.

I own a 1960 Dormobile hybrid. My Dormobile kit, U32288.7.626 was removed from the wreckage of a 1967 pastel green Dormobile that was destroyed in Alaska. The roof was severely damaged and required extensive repairs on both the aluminum top and the fiberglass lifting roof. The roof was repaired, interior furnishings refinished and the kit was transferred to a 1960 109 regular. The truck was painted to match the colour scheme of the 2 door Dormobile that Martin Walters supplied for Barbra Toy. Martin Walter never had a standard furnishings layout for the 625 version of the Dormobile and the 626 furnishings only occupied half the rear interior space. I added a second wardrobe, a second sink, a chest refrigerator and a single jump seat opposite the Dormobile cooker.

In 1999 I got tired of being passed by old Volkswagen buses up hill and have big lories coming up behind me like I was standing still so my Dormobile received a power plant and gearbox upgrade. The engine is a fuel injected Mustang 5.0 V8 with a NP435 American light truck gearbox in front of an Ashcroft high ratio transfercase. The Rest of the drive train is Land Rover.

Since the Dormobile conversion I have traveled and camped in my Dormobile throughout the lower Canadian provinces and the US from Pacific to the Atlantic.

I am currently in the process of writing a how-to book covering overlanding in The US and Canada. The preliminary title is "The Essential Guide to Overlanding in North America". I currently have about 3/4 of the book in first draft with some chapters out for technical review.

Here are a few pictures of my truck:

TeriAnn______________

web site http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/
Land Rover based motor caravans http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#caravan
RMS

Re: Dormobile hybrid from Arizona

Post by RMS » Sat May 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi TeriAnn, and welcome :hello:

I'm glad you've finally joined us here - your exploits and your website are an inspiration to many, and you are mentioned a few times in posts here, whether it's about fitting power steering or someone meeting up with you and your vehicle on their USA travels :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat May 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi TeriAnn

Great that you have decided to join us. Always followed you travels with interest and always point folk to your site when discussing Land Rovers Campers or the salvage of my Dormobile. Been meaning to send you some pictures of Barney since I put her back on the road 6 years ago. Have done several trips including France, Switzerland, Spain and Morocco. Lots of pictures on here or the Dormobile forum. Can post some links if you have trouble finding them.

Latest pictures are in the trip section under Gathering in France.

Cheers Mick
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 am

Welcome !
Lovely to have you here.
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun May 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi TerryAnn,

Welcome to the forum. :hello:

I am a great admirer of you and your Dormobile. You were kinda the inspiration for me to buy a Dormobile. I've read your website front to back and back again and learned so much....

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:24 am

Glad that you've surfaced and joined us, I have often used your website for reference over the years. You should come on one of our camping trips sometime, you'd be most welcome.

John H

One-time Carawagon owner, 3 in fact, and Serial Overlander