1000 mile trip

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
chippit

1000 mile trip

Post by chippit » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi,
Just returned from my first carawagon adventure. 1000 mile round trip from Rugby to Oban I left the landrover in Oban and took the ferry to Barra to sail for the week, slight detour round Scotland and home again. It is a 4 cylinder petrol with a gas conversion which was done years ago, apart from having to clean the rotor arm once and add a small amount of oil I had no problems. I have not worked out the fuel economy yet but it was doing far more miles to the gallon on a long run. It took me a while 55 to 60 mph all the way apart from hills, so I allowed several stops but all in all it was a fantastic trip. I have an app. on my phone to find the LPG stations which was very useful as it will not run on petrol.

Regards Christine
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Re: 1000 mile trip

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:25 am

Congratulations Christine! I love to hear of long range Carawagon and Dormie trips. :nana1:
My current record is 3,000 miles to Colorado and New Mexico from Los Angles and back last year. :nana:
Any chance of some pictures of your trip?

Ian
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:18 am

Good to give your wagon some use. Next time you might be sleeping in it. Hope the sailing went well.

Just curious but why no petrol switch over ?

Ian
chippit

Post by chippit » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:05 am

Hi,
I use petrol to start up when cold then switch to gas. It will not run on petrol without the choke out and is always stalling
(set up to run on gas?)
I am hoping to get time this year to finish the roof. I have all the seals, all the plywood cut and primed, just need to clean up the bendy aluminium sheet and paint, the rest of the roof is painted and ready. I have to repair the flock inside where one of the roof lights has leaked and damaged the finish, does anyone have any ideas about how to repair that?
Yes it was a fantastic sailing trip, I also talked to several people who were island hopping in campers and tents/bikes. the camp sites are very well sorted out with shower blocks kitchens toilets etc. I want to take the landy across to the Hebrides another year.

Regards Christine
richardhill
Info: Italian Dormobile owner

Post by richardhill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:12 pm

My first ever drive abroad was in the Dormobile with 12 Land Rovers from all over UK to do an Italian off road rally.
I won a big cup but I dont know what it was for! I returned 3 years running and toured France Germany and other Euro Countries on the way there and back. The LR speedo wasnt good at counting miles but 3000milkes per trip was probably about right, After that I went to work in EU and did 12 years in Germany, Holland, Belgium and Italy. The Dormy performed wituot incident but the huge pile of spares I carried just in case proved perfect for repairng all the others problems and supplying EU owners with parts they couldnt find easily! Great fun!
Dick.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm

chippit wrote:I want to take the landy across to the Hebrides another year.
Don't forget it's legal to camp on the roadside in the rural parts of Scotland.

Ian