Dormobile roof lining

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
phin

Dormobile roof lining

Post by phin » Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi all,
My Dormobile roof came without any headlining and I'd like to install some. I understand the original was hardboard or something similar. Has anyone had any luck fabricating the Dormobile style headlining or are there alternatives out there that may be worth looking at?

thanks Phin
DanC

Re: Dormobile roof lining

Post by DanC » Thu May 15, 2014 7:00 pm

It's like a thin hardboard with a plasti cost type finish . Mine is intact if you need measurements or pictures (but does sag a bit). I will be replacing the front section with a lasselle trim one at some point to rectify the sag, improve sound and fit a stereo and speakers.
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Dormobile roof lining

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Phin

Sorry, only just noticed this post.

I remade all of the non-metal trim in my Dormobile as they were in very poor condition. As said above, the trim is standard hardboard covered with off-white vinyl headlining fabric. I bought the hardboard from a local builders merchant, the fabric and spray contact adhesive from Woolies Trim (Morris Minor headlining).

I used the old trim panels as patterns to cut the correct shaps and then formed the hardboard by socking it in the bath in hot water. You need to use force to bend the hardboard, but with great care as it is easy to break the board. Once formed to the correct profile, I jammed the panel into the correct position in the roof and allowed the hardboard to dry naturally. Once dry I checked all the panels fitted properly with all the other panels and then covered them with the headlining fabric alloing a 25mm overlap onto the back edge.

Had a lot of very positive comments about how well the trim looks. I also does a good job in reducing the noise.

The metal trim panels, hoops and bunk frame were dipped, sanded and then plastic coated. Highly recommend doing this.

Hope this helps

Regards Mick