Dimensions roof opening etc.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
TheGreenlanecompany
Info: Traditional Greenlanin Fun with Series

Dimensions roof opening etc.

Post by TheGreenlanecompany » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Good Evening All, :tiphat:

As the Land Rover 110 is getting near the first MOT after a full rebuild (not for the purists :laugh: ) we have come to stage 2 - what to do with the roof.. At the moment, I use a full length Brownchurch and a Hannibal roof tent to get around but I'm getting a bit tired of climbing up & down ladders. Not to mention the weight waay up..

However, being 185 cm. and "heavily athletic build" :aaagh: I wonder if the stretchers are really for me as Mr. Dormobile thought they would be. Therefor I have some questions for you who know all about these fine conversions.

1 - What is are the dimensions of the opening in the roof ?

2 - What is the max. length of a materess that can go there ?

3 - Has anybody converted the 2 sleeper system to something that sleeps 1 on a "normal" matress ?

4 - Having a spare roof, I'm not scared for cutting a hole in the roof - what sort of money should I think of for "just" the roof ? Rest is made by myself.

Many thanks

Arjan

AlexB

Re: Dimensions roof opening etc.

Post by AlexB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:37 am

A good few years ago Mr Dormobile converted my 110 with a Dormobile roof and 2 bunks. A few pennies short of £3000.

I cant remember the length of the bunks but were fine for my good lady and I (5ft 9") but it was a pita climbing up and there isn't much room to turn around between the bunks when out.

Not a lot in it between a roof tent and bunks, other than you are inside. But, there is no way we would go roof tent.

Got a genuine Dormobile coming up for sale shortly...
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:46 am

I could be wrong, but don't the bunks in a Dormobile take up just about the full length of the roof and you get into them by climbing between them?

That means (if I'm correct) you couldn't replace them with a full width bed as you wouldn't be able to climb up :shrug:

The Carawagon roof is a bit longer and you climb into the bunks (if both are out) from the back end as there's still space between the end of the bunks and the end of the roof. Very useful for standing to cook, wash etc. while the bunks are out :cheers: That means you could cobble something like that together in a Carawagon :gold:

You might be best making something like an X-Panda. This one shows it on a SWB but you could use the same idea. You could make it long enough for a mattress and some space to climb up rather than climbing up outside.
There are lots of other weird and wonderful ideas on Mr Leadfoot's photobucket page HERE :tiphat:

At a show a couple of years ago, a couple visiting from Australia told us about their modification - they hinged the whole roof on one side so it lifted with a pram style hoops with canvas, and went right over 180 degrees so it stuck out on one side, supported by legs. That made a full size bed on the inside of the roof!
I did start planning to make something like that, and even got a vehicle to do it with (Steptoe, now owned and converted to a camper by Neil on here) but then a Carawagon came along :whistle:

Hope that helps,
Robin.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
TheGreenlanecompany

Post by TheGreenlanecompany » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks Guys. :tiphat:

Food for thought here... :cheers:

(sorry - the picture doesn't want to rotate :banghead: )

Think it will be a tilting roof like this. Gives a lot of room and I have a spare roof to use for dimensions. And using a Series windscreen & roof gives a straight base for the front hinge..

And space for a 190 cm bed :woohoo:

Looks much better than this :

Rooftens are good but I have slept enough in them me thinks...

RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am

I'd be tempted to use some sort of frame to keep everything tight and square if you're using the whole roof. I wouldn't think the windscreen would have enough strength to hinge the roof, :shrug:

A welded rectangle of something like 1 1/2" angle or square tube bolted in place of the roof would work, then fix hinges and canvas to that.

I've seen a similar lift up design where the bed base is made up of 3 or 4 sections so that in the daytime you can remove or move them to one end and have the head height, though of course, you'd have to find somewhere to put the mattress or whatever you use.

Another design is to have the bed base hinged as well, so that can be lifted and clipped to the inside of the roof when it's not being used.
A LWB roof is about 9' long so depending on how much height you want at the hinged end for your feet, there could still be a 2' section at the back end behind the bed base so that could be a way into the bed.

Can you tell I've thought about doing something similar myself :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
TheGreenlanecompany

Post by TheGreenlanecompany » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Yes - a frame is needed. (I have already the "piano hinge" that goes up front) and I'm looking into welding an aluminium frame from modified "box section" and fit the Series roof (Tropical one) on top of that and use some gas struts. Fabric was donated by a friend so it could very well end up going that way. If so, I'll make a post on how it goes if people are interested IF we go for the DIY version...
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm

The cut out in the dormobile roof is approx. 1700mm x 1100mm and the bunks are approx 1800mm long.

A bit of info here on a lifting roof design by Daniel. He's recently expanded into doing a "Toyota Pop Top" conversion too which is made from heavy duty aluminium, you can also use this as roof rack and can even stand on it :gold: I was speaking to him on sunday at our annual 4x4 show in Brisbane and he was saying his sales for the Toyota version have really taken off.
Maybe you can get some ideas from his website, I'm sure he'll answer any questions you might have too.

http://www.mulgo.com.au/portfolio/mulgo ... -defender/
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:31 pm

I have seen quite a few Dutch hinged front lifting roof Defender 110's. They used to all camp together a Billing, so not sure if there was someone making them in Holland? There must be some info somewhere? Not been to Billing for a while or been looking for them at other shows.

If I was building a self built camper I would add a pop top, but use that for storage at night and build the bed downstairs, very similar to the Dormobile setup. I'm not getting any younger and need to get out in the night sometimes. In the Dormobile there is enough room for the bed and the porta potti.

Mick
TheGreenlanecompany

Post by TheGreenlanecompany » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks for the replies - please keep them coming :tiphat:
Yes - a Dutch company makes them - they are very good but also serious €€€€ :thud:

Interesting thought on sleeping "below". However, I have a navigator with me (Duncan the Golden Retriever) and he needs his space, too...

Keep them coming please !!
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:57 am

I have two labradors. They have come to shows with us and have slept in the Dormobile with use. They tend to sleep under the bed, but alway come out for some love, just when you don't want them too!! It can be done, but it is just a little too cramped. Building a mobile dog kennel at the moment. which we will use whilst using the Dormobile in this country. Will also be used for transporting the firepit and a good supply of wood.