New member from the Far North

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Rangie

New member from the Far North

Post by Rangie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi Folks,

Landie fanatic from the north coast of Scotland.
Have converted a 109 Ambu for touring around. Keep an eye out around the north and west coast of Scotland for the red cross trundling about :mrgreen:
Also some of the islands for that matter............. ;)

My interest was born out of necessity 6 years ago when a booking for a hotel at a music festival in Orkney fell through and I had 3.5 weeks to convert my '84 110 into a quick-change camper for the event!! The truck still had to be usable for commuting and the dogs life it had so a permanent solution wasn't an option!! Cue the fold-away double bed, cooker/table and condensation-on-your-forehead system that came out of the subsequent 3 weeks head scratching... ;) It's now fitted in my 109 for emergency/occasional use :wink:

Have a rooftent I use on the roofrack on my '83 Rangie very occasionally, its fine for very long high-speed camping trips/jollies to collect scrap/projects from far afield but i'm not keen on under canvas, give me condensation dripping on my nose anytime.....

After 2 years of this, the 110 chassis expired on me (spectacularly rotten and well hidden it turned out), and after many years of fancying an Ambulance, I bought one from Blanchards 3 years ago. Welded, wired, waxoyled, painted and tested within 5 weeks of buying, I had it registered and on the road.
Mk1 interior was two basic sleeping platforms while I mulled over things, quite sharpish came the Mk2 developed interior complete with caravan cushions and double bed (oooh, posh), and finally after a year's sleepless nights of agonising its the Mk3 final incarnation of the interior with the double bed and built in storage/cooking etc installation.

I love the old beast, it has bags of character, gives no impression of speed whatsoever, returns 23mpg on a trundle and drops to 19mpg when giving it welly if required but I'd rather not do that... Engine has been carefully tuned and runs like a swiss watch :mrgreen: and an overdrive for main-road action!

As with any old Landrover its a work in progress and there's always ideas and tweaks ongoing.

Last jobs to do is the Leisure battery/split charge and the propex heating system. But these are just fancy-nonsense would-be-nices :nana1: they may never get done.......... :shakehead:

So that's me, pics to follow in time!

Alec
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
RMS

Re: New member from the Far North

Post by RMS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Now that's what I call a comprehensive introduction - thanks for that :cheers:

Pics when you get a chance? We like pics :tiphat:

Cheers,
:tiphat: Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
michelji

Post by michelji » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 am

:tiphat: bonjour et bienvenue ici
une bien belle presentation :-) il ne nous manque que des photos ;)
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 am

As Michel said, a great description, all that's missing are some photos.

cheers

John H
WhiteKnight
Info: Wagons, ho!

Post by WhiteKnight » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Nice to hear from you Rangie.
Caithness would seem to indeed be in the Far North.
Any further and your wheels would be salty.
Looking forward to some pics too.
:cheers:
Steve
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Look forward to seeing some pics :cheers:

I have a secret longing to own one of these vehicles too but I cannot justify it :( But I know where there is a great one for sale at $5k :whistle: