YOG 31st Mar/1st Apr

Please post any events or shows here.
RMS

YOG 31st Mar/1st Apr

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi guys,
John has just reminded me that there's a Yorkshire Overland Gathering on 31st Mar/1st April, up in North Yorks.

Rather than spell it all out again, I'm sure John won't mind me copying his S2C post here (below in red) :cheers:

Just had it confirmed by Brendan at 4x4O that this little do is happening the weekend after next:

'Yes YOG is still on for 31st March/1st April

Camping is at Cherry Tree Barn, Nawton which is approx 1 mile from Trek, have a look here [url]http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/no ... e.htm/[url] Camp site fees payable direct to campsite, costs are about £10/12
We will be providing light refreshments during the day at Trek FOC BUT (there is always a but) there will be a donation bucket for Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
Two navigational scatters have been arranged, just pick up a clue sheet and go. Tarmac based so should be non vehicle damaging as long as minor country roads driven with care. Some green lane routes will be marked on a map
We see this as a social gathering so that people can actually talk to Tim and Clare (Trek) Kev and Stuart (Mud) and Barbara and myself Brendan (4x4O), which at the main shows can be difficult. We will have some stock displayed so that if you want to compare for instance an Autohome to Howling Moon roof tent they will be alongside each other.

So costs to you you are fuel, food and beer plus campsite fees'.

Although clearly aimed at showcasing their products, it sounds like another excuse for some good craik to me with the usual excesses of alcohol and (Moroccan?) food. I have booked Fri, Sat and Sun nights for me, SWAMBO and the Rapido folding caravan at the campsite (01439771603) forgot to ask exactly how much though - doh - £8pn up according to the website.

cheers

John H
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Re: YOG 31st Mar/1st Apr

Post by overlander » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 am

Here are details of the YOG itself:

'Yorkshire Overland Gathering March 31st/1st April 2012
by leeds » Mon 19 Dec 2011 10:47 pm

The idea for the Yorkshire Overland Gathering come from conversations with people who have an interest in overland travel so here we go.

The Yorkshire Overland Gathering YOG will be a gathering where overlanders can meet the people behind 4 x4 Overlander, Mudstuff and Trek Overland. It is being kindly hosted by Trek Overland at Lund Court Farm Nawton York YO62 7TZ.

It will NOT be a LR show in the normal sense of the expression so no arena with dogs herding ducks etc. All three companies will be sharing the same marquee, will be demonstrating their vehicles, trailers roof tents etc alongside each others. There is a possibility of a couple of other local companies joining us as well

We will be displaying a map with local green lanes marked on and state which ones will be suitable for shiny standard vehicles and others which may not be so suitable for shiny vehicles. We will also have a road based navigational scatter arranged.

Camping will be available at a local campsite. We will be able to supply a list of local B & B's, hotels etc. There are many local attractions including York and its attractions, Whitby and its crabs, Castle Howard, lots of abbeys good ice cream parlour plus restaurants and other attractions.

If you are interested in attending would you please register your interest via email at info@4x4overlander.com.

This is just to enable us to gauge interest so that we can make suitable arrangements for toilet facilites and hospitality etc.

If you have any suggestions to make please do so.

Brendanhttp://www.4x4overlander.com'

cheers

John H
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Just to confirm, LRCC has been invited to set up a 'Moroccan encampment' at this event!

Very small-scale; there's very little spare room, on the 'show area', apparently, so it looks like it will be just two Carawagons, awning poles out, back to back, with a tarp over the poles.
That configuration has worked very well before, so should do again, I hope.

Pics to follow after the weekend :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 am

Well, I think we can say "A good time was had by all" at this event.

Nothing beats eating & drinking with friends around a firepit after the crowds have gone :cheers:

Steve's & Patrick's Carawagons, and John's SWB sleeper were on the very small showground, with a 'Moroccan Encampment' theme (with mint tea services and other Moroccan bits & pieces on display) etc. provided by Steve and John.

Although there was never a big crowd there, Saturday especially saw a fairly constant stream of folk interested in chatting about the vehicles, and about our Morocco trip last year.

Hopefully it will be repeated next year; there was talk of making it a slightly bigger affair, and we have been invited back again.

I think Steve has some pics, so he might upload them later.

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
WhiteKnight
Info: Wagons, ho!

Post by WhiteKnight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:38 pm

I would cheerfully echo Robin's sentiments above.
Great weekend, great craick / crack.

Nice to meet all the visitors too.
We were honoured too by the delightful presence of Queen Yvonne with her consort Lightweight Les of a Sunday.

Any road, here are some pics...

The Moroccan encampment.
It looks like John has a mini carawagon!

Independent overlanders.
Please note this was taken early(ish) on Sunday morning, -2C and permafrost on the grass carpet. My tap was frozen solid.

Tasty trailer

Keeping the Siberian wind at bay

A morphed Sankey

Last edited by WhiteKnight on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 pm

A most modern arrangement

Just pop up to bed

John and Sandra, Gordon and Wendy, Neil and Annie camp in relative luxury

Despite the freezing temperatures, breakfast was never far away!

The fruits of our labour: would sir like a full English? Suit you, Sir!

Stopped short of wearing the Djellaba, but partook of more than a few Moroccan mint teas.

WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Was visited by an English gentleman with a two-wheeled Armstrong. I tried it for size before attempting a Steve McQueen escape

The man himself had other ideas....

Last edited by WhiteKnight on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Methinks it was April 1st... and became a bog standard joke (it's coffee, honest!) :whistle:

Spot the difference...

After an uneventful Sunday stroll :whistle: we happily splashed around in the river's torrential flow

Great weekend good people!!
Last edited by WhiteKnight on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks Steve, I knew you'd have lots of piccies :cheers:
Though I'm sure you had some video as well :whistle:
(Robin on S2C forum)
WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Indeed I have.
Unfortunately can't upload it here! :shrug: