Carawagon insurance - success story with Footman James!

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Peaceand

Carawagon insurance - success story with Footman James!

Post by Peaceand » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 pm

This week it was time to re-insure the Carawagon, and I'd prepared myself for a few hours of calling around the usual suspects to get a decent quote. First thing I did was phone Footman James, as my 88 is insured with them.

The 88 is on a classic policy, unlimited mileage, fully comp, European breakdown/recovery cover etc, for £124

So I asked if they could add the Carawagon onto the same policy. After the usual questions about the vehicle, me and the location, I was expecting something like £300. When she said £32 I thought it was a mistake, but that was the actual cost of including the Carawagon, with an agreed value of £7000 on the policy.

So of that £32, there's a £20 admin fee, a £1 card fee and £11 to cover the Carawagon.

I just hope they keep the same kind of prices for next year :cheers:

Patrick
:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
AlexB

Re: Carawagon insurance - success story with Footman James!

Post by AlexB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:44 am

Well done Patrick

This only confirms my view that they are complete T*sspotts - they wouldn't insure my dormobile as it doesn't conform to their underwriters' views of what a camper is - fixed beds, perm running water etc etc.

:tiphat: to you .
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am

I think this really does depend on who you speak to at the company.
Patrick says the person he spoke to had no idea what a 'Carawagon' was, but accepted it was a factory conversion.

Perhaps it's a tick-box on their screen - if they tick 'Factory converted camper' you are ok. If they start on the sub-headings (as Alex says, fixed beds, perm running water etc.) then the underwriters get funny about it :shrug:
Just a guess, but so many folk have different experiences with insuring these campers. In fact, wasn't it FJ who announced a few months ago that they would no longer be insuring camper conversions? I remember some discussion on the S2C forum about this, and the club were going to send info to them.
I wonder if that has happened?

Last year, when I was insuring Patrick's Carawagon, I spoke to two people at another company on different days. One quoted £380 as an aftermarket conversion as it wasn't on their list, the next quoted £250 as it was on their list :thud:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi all

I'm with Footman James. My 88", The FC and the Dormobile are insured on the same policy for about £200. No problems at all when arranged the insurance 2 years ago and they did provide the Green card for Morocco.

No complaints here.

Mick
Calum

Post by Calum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

How did they feel about the 200Tdi conversion? I've had trouble getting people to quote me with it in the 88", but then I am only 21 (currently with Adrian Flux, for more than I'd like to pay!) I was with FJ but they don't insure me anymore as they don't do under 25s any longer unless you have some club agreement or something?
DanC

Post by DanC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I am having a mare with FJ, they are refusing to put the Dormobile on my existing policy but will insure it with the same underwriter as a special dispensation for my business on a new policy for £165....This is nonsensical, same underwriter, same risk but the Dormy is 'modified' I spoke to one person first who said it didn't matter, then had to go off the phone to check something called back, got someone new and now I am in this position... I am seriously peeved today...
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Dan, maybe worth trying later when somebody different (and more sensible?) is answering the phones?

Mine will be coming up again soon and I'm hoping they will offer the same deal again. If not then it's time to go round the usual suspects once more.
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
DanC

Post by DanC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Good luck Patrick, I have resolved it for this year (at expense) by switching all three vehicles onto one new policy (cancellation fees waived). Dormobiles and Carawagons are treated on an 'as risk' basis by the underwriters. It is simplistic to say they won't cover them, because they will depending on individual circumstances. FJ hope that things will improve in the next year on camper cover and I am working with them to do so. We may need to borrow a camper or two in the midlands so that the underwriters can see them in the flesh. Either way, i suspect you got a lucky break last year Patrick and got someone who didn't understand the various models, perhaps you will again!!
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm

How did you get on with Heritage, Dan?

I know you were talking to them on behalf of S2C a few weeks ago, so just wondered what the outcome was?

I insured my Carawagon with RH earlier this year, or rather added it on to my existing policy and they didn't even raise an eyebrow.
They knew what it was, and just stipulated a fitted fire extinguisher because of the gas & cooker!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=101&p=407&hilit=insurance#p407

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DanC

Post by DanC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:07 pm

They seem nice enough Robin, problem I had was I want all three of my landies on the same policy, as such I would have had to cancel my existing policy with penalties to move to Heritage. So I have moved all three onto the new policy with FJ, Heritage have no problems with Carawagons and Dormobiles, but then again neither do FJ, they just consider them slightly higher risk because you sleep in them etc.. Now, RH seem to be pretty cheap but won't insure me because I cannot guarantee my vehicles will be kept on a drive as I don't have one, so they are a non starter. It still works out at £70 odd quid per vehicle fully comp on the same policy, unlimited mileage etc..

By all means someone try Heritage and let me know, if you are an S2C member I am busy setting up a discount on their policies so would work out OK.

Dan