Cookers / Stove Reviews

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Stuey

Re: Cookers / Stove Reviews

Post by Stuey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Number Two

Or to give it its full title Number Two Mark Two Modified (No.2 MKII), this cooker is the newest to my collection and was purchased at t'pit for not a lot of money. It's an ex military stove that runs on petrol and was used from WWII through to the 90's when it was replaced by the multifuel No. 12. From the reviews that I have read on the internet, it seems it's a bit of a marmite stove you either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm enjoying the one that I have, prep time is probably longer than all the other stoves that I have but there's just something about it that you just have to love.

Being designed for use with armour, it's not the lightest of cookers weighing in at about 5kg however it's more of a portable hob than a stove. These cookers do have a specific pan set, I don't have these but I am hoping to get some in the not too distant future.

I'm not too sure what the revisions are between the MKI and MKII however I am aware that there were 2 different burners used, the roarer and the silent burner. The silent burner is what I have fitted whereas the roarer is what I would consider the more traditional lookng petrol stove burner, I think, but I cannot guarantee for certain that the MKI would have been fitted with the roarer and the MKII was fitted with the silent burner.

Some facts and figures:

Cost (Ebay BIN) £35 (I have seen them as expensive as £90)

Cost (Ebay Auction) £15-30

Fuel cost £1.35 (1 Litre)

Packed size 255mm x 255mm x 130mm

Assembled size 380mm x 325mm x 355mm

Assembly time 1 minute 45 Seconds

Preparation time 7 minutes

450ml Boil time 4:40 minutes

1L Boil time 11 minutes

Packed state:

Quite an ominous box in all reality, not really something that you would use for backpacking due to the weight but the box does protect it a bit.

Assembled:

The lid lifts up and part of it folds out to provide a windbreak, some tools are stored in the lid along with spare jet storage. Most that I've seen still have the instructions for lighting on the lid.

Preheating:

Being a bit of an archaic piece of kit, it requires a substantial preheat, now there may be a quicker way to preheat but being something I have only got hold of I'm not too sure of what it is. Anyway, the preheat involves 'dribbling' some fuel into the saucer below the regulator and lighting it, when it's just about to go out, open the regulator fully and the fuel should be vaporising enough so it should be burning blue, sometimes the main burner lights, sometimes it doesn't just have the matches handy! Once the main burner lights, it's probably going to be another minute before you get a nice blue flame.

Ready to go:

After preheating is completed you should get a nice blue flame as above, it may be orange to start with whilst it burns off the carbon and soot and whilst it gets up to temp, but after a minute or so it should be good to go, have a play with the regulator and see how you go!

Cooking:

I haven't got the pan set, so I've had to make do with some other pan, this is a medium sized pan so you can see the scale!

Night time:

Just a nice pic to include, a couple of nights after purchase showing lovely blue flame

Pros

Cheap to run, simple, cheap to purchase

Cons

Bulky, Ages to get going, not for those with a nervous disposition.
Overall

I like it, I don't think it will end up in the back of the Land Rover as a brew making machine however it may end up next to the tent. Apparently parts are interchangeable with one of the Primus 111 stoves, I haven't tried it but the schematics look identical. There are tips that I've read but not put into practise like using meths as a pre-heater and running them on panel wipe, none I have tried yet but it's still early days. Another thing I've read was that some people have been using the pans with grids to create an oven, roasting chickens and other good stuff like that but I'll have to wait and see. Fuel is plentiful and if you have a petrol Land Rover it is a bit of a bonus, however if you haven't it's not going to be too hard to get hold of some.

Number 2 cookers on Ebay

Stuey rating: 7 out of 10
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm

I've just found mistericeman's (of OLLR fame) youtube video of his MOD No. 1 burner.

This is a fearful beast :aaagh: - the method of use was to dig a trench, stick this at one end and put grills/steel plates over the trench.

Enjoy:

Icey's burner
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Stuey wrote:Number Two
I'm not too sure what the revisions are between the MKI and MKII however I am aware that there were 2 different burners used, the roarer and the silent burner.
Hi, a crash course:

No2 Mk1 - Made by crosslands or british safety stoves, demountable tank for storage, tank/vapouriser hangs off side of case and inserts inside burner, roarer burner, from the mid 30's till approx 1939.
No2 Mk2 - Made by turley and williams and various others to the same design, unregulated roarer burner, with long needle valve beneath, tin/asbestos heat shield, approx 1939 to mid-1970s.
No2 Mk2 Modified - mid-1970s till early 1990s, (latest I've seen is 1992), regulated silent burner, stainless heat shield.
No2 Mk2 Upgraded to Mk2 Modified - Turley and Williams etc, Happened late 70s by addition of the regulated silent burner and blanking off of the feed/needle valve tube.

Hope this helps.
Alec

ps, Yours is a No2 Mk2 upgraded to No2 Mk2 Modified..... :mrgreen:
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Ooooh that's good to know, I've been trying to find out history / specs to no avail so that info is absolutely grand :gold:

Stuey

Post by Stuey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:27 am

Rangie, I've copied your crash course to Number 2's over onto OLLR :tiphat: