Tent for a Dormobile

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Tent for a Dormobile

Post by Dormy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Some Carawagon and Dormobile owners here have come up with different solutions to expanding the space available when camping (obviously some carawagons already have a slide out roof awning). I don't know if this little story will help or give anyone else ideas: -

Anyone who has seen Dormy pitched will probably have noticed the tent I have that adds another room about 2.2x2m to the back and allows access via the back door (pics on the link below).

http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28

This is a Raleigh 'Motochalet' my Mum bought for camping with friends in their VW camper nearly 40 years ago and gave to me when I aquired Dormy. I have used it occasionaly ever since, but did promise SWMBO to patch a couple of holes and re-proof it before using it this summer.

About 4 years ago we bought an old Esterel folding caravan for towing with the little VW Polo eurobox. This came with a full awning which putting up for short weekend trips is more trouble than it is worth (especialy trying to get it dry again). We decided a smaller caravan entrance porch (which we could dry in the car port) would be usefull for these occasions and began looking around. Our local camping centre had a deal on and we picked a van type awning which we saw could also fit Dormy in the same way as the Motochalet (see link below).

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/product ... ssic-2012/

(ours is last years model so we didn't pay anything like the price qouted above !!)

This awning is about 2.5x2.5m which is bigger than we really wanted for the caravan, but SWMBO always complained the Motochalet wasn't big enough (I recon we need an artic. lorry for her luggage)! We have already tried it with the caravan and are now looking forward to going out with it with Dormy. I won't be getting rid of the Motochalet and will still repair and re-proof it. After all, its part of Dormy's history now !

Maybe a few replies with your solution will help give more ideas too?

Regards
Ian
DanC

Re: Tent for a Dormobile

Post by DanC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm

This is one I am struggling with Ian. I have an oztent that I am swapping with Brad as it doesn't really suit my needs now I have the Dormi and I don't want to lug it around in the vehicle. I have just purchased a toilet tent for essential purposes (it is nice and light) but ideally would like an awning like the original or Mick's but light enough to pack away and not add to fuel and space issues. What I really need is a porch not a massive addition to the living space as I find the Dormi interior is just fine for relaxing around in, but is a pain when you want to set the bed up (everybody out!!).
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm

We've got a 1970s Dandy folding camper which I restored a few years ago.
The original awnings for those were really heavy, being made of the same 'insulated twin wall with foam sandwich' as the Dandy roof, so most Dandy owners don't use them unless setting up for weeks at a time!

On the Dandy forums at the time, folk were talking about using the Movelite awnings as they will fit to almost anything.
I waited until one came up on ebay (actually I got it from gumtree) and bought an XL model for not a lot of money :neener:

This is the model we have:

We've also used it on the back of the Carawagon (without the awning poles out), but as most of our trips are with other Carawagons we usually set up tarp city between our awning poles.

They do work, and work well, and if we were going away for a holiday on our own in the Carawagon, based in one place, we'd probably take it.
We also have an Esterel folding caravan, so the Movelite could be used on either our Carawagons, Dandy or Esterel :gold:

The only criticism I have is that if you have the inner tent/bedroom, it sits in the centre of the awning!
You can just see it in the picture above.
That means you can't really leave the bed tent up if you want to live in it in the daytime, but you can unclip it and push it to one side.

However, it really doesn't fit in with a 1960s Carawagon, or even the 1970s Dandy; I wouldn't use any modern awning at a show as I think it detracts from the vehicle :thud:

Oh, and I do have the original Carawagon rear awning - it came with one of my projects and I really must get it out of its bag to check the state of it :embarassed:
With the same project I also got the original Carawagon side awning - I have checked that and it is in excellent condition, though a short pole section is missing!

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm

DanC wrote:would like an awning like the original or Mick's but light enough to pack away
Looked a the Oz tent so...... often. Reminds me of the 9x9 used on the back of the FFR when I was in the TA (Oh happy days !). But much too big and heavy for holidays !

A toilet tent is all we take at weekends to save a nightime walk to the campsite loo.

Here is a pic. of the bag the Movelite I bought fits in (and fits back in poles and all !) if it helps: -
Tent Bag.JPG
Ian
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Dormy wrote:Here is a pic. of the bag the Movelite I bought fits in
Sorry to confuse. Ours is actualy a Kampa - this one: -

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/product ... -310-2012/

But last years (no ground sheet) and in Blue, NO - Green.

Must have clicked on the first pic. that looked like it - another silver moment ! :stars:

Ian
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Not to worry, they all look the same anyway :tiphat:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I occasionally use a Caranex 4H for an extra room if i'm set up somewhere for a couple of days....

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

G,day Dan, I don't know if you have seen my ambulance with the awning up but it is standard caravan awning made to fit in the shape of the ambulance body at the rear using standard rails off a caravan bent to your needs :shrug: .

My 109 24volter has the same set up at the rear or at least will have after I have painted the truck so as well as my lift up roof I can still sit outside in the fresh air but under cover while :wine: .

I can and have put mine up on my own but it is easier with two people if only to hold the poles and as for weight and size it's not bad at all and sits in either one of the 109,s no problem it has also stood some very heavy storms in years gone by.

The cost of this awning was nothing just time and patience with a bit of sewing by my lass however I will now be traveling on my own to rallies so ease of putting it up on my own will be better and yes I have one of those lightweight things with bendy poles but I find them a night mare when on my own.

Just my views. R-Rose :tiphat: .
jkhackney
Info: It's not misspelled, it's American

Post by jkhackney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 am

Hi,

I have a question about the Caranex vs. a heavier bulkier tent.

My current tent/awning is 1980s ugly, free-standing and huge but difficult to set up alone and very heavy/bulky. It has no floor. In appearance it's similar to Dormy's "Moto"-thingy in the original post. It's just not worth setting it up for only 1 night.

What I like about it is that I can unzip and open a whole wall and back the Land Rover into the left half of the opening. Opening the Land Rover's rear door divides the tent in two, with the entryway to the tent on the right side of the Land Rover. You have to do a U-turn walking into the tent in order to enter the Land Rover. It feels very cozy and private, yet it's still open to fresh air. More importantly, the simple awning I have on the right side of the Land Rover abuts the rear tent such that there's a continuous shelter about 2m width all around the right side of the Land Rover, including the entryway to the tent.

A Caranex 4HT is for sale here locally in new condition. Obvviously aesthetically more British and Classic. It looks light and easy to set up, and with an integrated floor it would be warmer. But it doesn't look like you can enter/exit on the vehicle's right side. Is that correct? Also, can it be easily attached to the Dormobile, given that only about 2" of roof is available for overlapping the flaps? And of course half as big as our current tent.

Thanks,
-Jeremy