DIY Campers

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
AntMan232

DIY Campers

Post by AntMan232 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I was wondering, out of interest, whether there were many good DIY conversions of Land Rovers into campers. I presume they command a much lower price than any of the Dormobile/Carawagon factory conversions, but I was also wondering how much they go for.

On a related note, if one was to convert a vehicle to have a pop up roof, presumably you have to then insure your vehicle as having been modified, and therefore at much greater cost? I only ask because I am trying to think of a A2 Product Design coursework project, and had a good idea for an easily fitted lifting roof, and thought i'd just get some idea of what's already there!
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
RMS

Re: DIY Campers

Post by RMS » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am

Well, there was a quite expansive album of campers on a photobucket account maintained by Andrew (MrLeadfoot on here), but I think with recent changes to Photobucket, the link he provided no longer works.

I've asked him to check it out for us.

Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping you converting the inside of any vehicle to a camper - the bed(s) are probably the most difficult things to make or work out, so the space can be useful in the daytime, but easy to set up for night.

Neil, (Muckitup on here) has just converted a LWB into a single sleeper, with fixed bed down one side and cabinets on the other, like the Military Carawagon.
It looks great and seems practical, though it would be better with a lifting roof of some description - I tried camping in a 109 with fixed roof, but there are so many times when it would be fantastic to stand up, or at least not be bent over - washing, cooking, getting dressed etc.

We were once approached by a couple who converted a 109 (or 110?) in Australia. They hinged the whole roof on one side and made a pram-type hood with support bars, I suppose like a Dormobile arrangement, but this one flipped right over 180 degrees! They had a double mattress strapped into the roof so when it was flipped over they had a full double bed and the space inside the back of the vehicle could be dedicated to cabinets etc.

Of course, it should be easier to make something along the lines of an X-Panda (HERE and a home built one HERE).
In fact, I do think MrLeadfoot made something similar on one of his.

Anyway, insurance might be a little difficult to track down. We have found problems in the past finding companies who deal with classic cars accepting Carawagons and Dormobiles - I think most of the big name ones (FJ, RH, AF) now accept them as they are factory built, but I'm not sure they would be happy with a home-built conversion.
If you have trouble with the classic car insurers, you might have to go to a company who deal with conversions.

Perhaps Muckitup could let us know how he's got on, though I suppose with a standard roof, it could be insured as standard, with the fittings inside being considered as cargo :whistle:

Hope that's all food for thought :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks very much, very useful to know. I've seen the X-Pandas, and they are an interesting idea, but I have a few ideas for improvement :gold: . The "DIY" one looks far too professional... I may well ask some more questions at some point as research for the project, maybe a general questionnaire sort of thing, but that can wait for a bit.

Am I right in thinking that the hard top roof and sides are the same for both Series 2 and 3 land rovers? It's just I will probably need to buy one for the project, and I suspect series 3 parts are cheaper :neener: . Does anybody know what the going rate for a roof and van sides is?
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm

As far as I know the roofs and sides are the same on a 2 & 3, but then again, I'm not a rivet counter so there might be some subtle cosmetic difference I'm not aware of.

I would say expect to pay up to around £100 for a roof and sides, depending on condition, more if they are in good condition.
Van sides (if you do mean van sides rather than windowed sides) seem to be sought after, quite rare in fact, especially 109" - I hate them as you can't see to reverse or at 'Y' junctions :stars:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

I was assuming that windowed sides were more sought after... :laugh: Thanks for the quick reply though :gold:
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

AntMan232 wrote:I was assuming that windowed sides were more sought after...
Not really, it's actually harder to find a nice straight hardtop that hasn't either been butchered with windows or battered by farmers/utilities! :cry:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
Troika

Post by Troika » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I am still impressed by the 109 pick-up, where the owner had taken a trailer tent, removed the axle, wheels and the drawbar and created his very own demountable.
On site he took all of five minutes to set up and even when stowed for travel it did not offend the eye at all.

Must try and find the pictures when I get home.
Flo109
Info: 1972 109 LR Marshall Ambulance Camper

Post by Flo109 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:15 am

Hi
I've got a drivers side hard top side without a window, its off a 110 but is the same lenght if anyone needs it!..
its straight and dent free!..

Mark