And Another..........

67dormobile
Info: 67 2a Dormobile

Re: And Another..........

Post by 67dormobile » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:14 am

jerryd wrote:Are you driving down to pick it up ?? That will be an adventure all on it's own :stars:

I have a newish kitchen unit that I imported from the uk, I've had some heavy duty lids made for it as the originals were damaged in freight.They were pretty flimsy too.
I have a replica wardrobe unit made from mdf with aluminium angle round frame, possibly the locker that goes above the kitchen unit and possibly a stove to fit the kitchen unit.

I tried importing a wardrobe unit from the uk but at the time they were out of stock, so I made a copy of one using mdf.
This turned out better than expected so I then made a larger Mk2 version which could house a fridge also. Once painted these look quite authentic and do not rattle like the metal ones :gold:

You'll have to pop over some time and have a chat :wink:

Yes taking a car trailer behind the Landcruiser ute - my back hurts already - I think it's a 4 day return trip.

Your parts sound interesting and definitely worth a look. I'll message you when I'm back to arrange a cuppa.

Gary
67dormobile

Post by 67dormobile » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 am

I've been thinking about this Dormobile - as a rule I like to see a car on the road quickly as I've seen lots of projects languish under houses ( in Queensland anyway ) - but this one I'm going to do methodically. I will probably buy a 6 cylinder donor car to return it to factory original specs - I really like the Rover 2.6 - is the gearbox 6 cylinder specific? - and will try to track down year specific kitchen and wardrobe units.

I'll keep the chassis and repair it and won't repaint the body panels - I may even colour match the rusty looking faded Pastel Green panels for a semi Rat look.

Maybe new elephant hide retrim depending on seat condition.

The car has earned its scars and I want to keep 46 years of use obvious without attracting Police or Qld Transport attention.

What do you think - too much retro or semi reasonable man?

Gary
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I had the same dilemma about mine, whether to keep it all original or upgrade it for modern day use :shrug: I've opted to upgrade and improve it but try to keep it looking original too. I think as it's a land rover we can get away with a few mods here and there and not upset the rivet counters too much :cheers:
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 pm

67dormobile wrote: is the gearbox 6 cylinder specific? - Gary
No, the gearbox itself is the same but the bellhousing is a different shape to mate to the 2.6 as opposed to the 2.25's - its shorter and has a different bolt pattern.
The 2.6 Props are different lengths to a 2.25 as well....

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
67dormobile

Post by 67dormobile » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks Alec - I have just bought a series 3 parts car ex army 6 cylinder so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Gary
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 pm

So how was the trip Gary ?? Is the car better or worse than expected ?? Any pics yet ??
67dormobile

Post by 67dormobile » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Jerry - yes it's here in Brisbane now though I put it in storage as I've run out of room. It was supposed to be undercover but at 2300 high it wouldn't fit so it's in the open until I find new storage for it.

It's in surprisingly good condition with the upper exterior firewall being the main rust area - the A and B pillars are a bit ratty too but not too bad.The chassis looks bad but it's surface rust only and just needs a paint and a patch on the rear crossmember.

The body is incredibly straight and the paint is very thin - just the way I like them. The Dormatic seats are complete but will need new elephant hide covers and I'll be searching for the missing cabinets and table too.

So all in all quite an enjoyable little project for the next year or two - I'll post some pics this weekend - haven't had a chance to have a decent look myself yet. Call me on 0419798698 if you want to arrange a special viewing sometime - it's at Sumner Park so a bit of a drive for you!

Regards
Gary
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Nice one - glad to hear it got home safely :cheers:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
67dormobile

Post by 67dormobile » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm

RMS wrote:Nice one - glad to hear it got home safely :cheers:
Thanks Robin - I finally gave up on the car trailer idea and got a transport company to bring it up which they managed without damaging it and for a reasonable price. I had visions of it in a ditch on its roof if I towed it!

Gary
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm

67dormobile wrote:
RMS wrote:Nice one - glad to hear it got home safely :cheers:
Thanks Robin - I finally gave up on the car trailer idea and got a transport company to bring it up which they managed without damaging it and for a reasonable price. I had visions of it in a ditch on its roof if I towed it!

Gary
:laugh: :laugh:

I must admit that I'm very cautious when towing my car trailer when it's loaded - I get tense and imagine every little twitch of the outfit is going to end up as a snake so end up getting home with a splitting headache!
It's never happened, and it probably never will, but I don't think I would considering towing it loaded for 1000 miles :aaagh:
The longest I've done laden is about 120 miles :thud:

Perhaps the Landcruiser would make light work of it, but I think you did the right thing and got someone else to do it :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)