It's arrived, but insurance is a mess!

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
RobW

It's arrived, but insurance is a mess!

Post by RobW » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

(Edited from previous post - admin)
Insurance is a mess. As she's a Carawagon I can't use a normal 109" policy. However as she's missing the furniture I can't insure as a Carawagon. To add to the fun, the home built camper policy really doesn't like "modified" vehicles, so engine changes are an issue..... FJ & Heritage brokers both agree that this is daft, but the underwriters aren't budging (Heritage can quote, but the policy becomes invalid as soon as I get the camper bits - camper policy may not work due to the engine).
If I can get a professional refit then the camper policy becomes easier. However at the moment I've bought an expensive 109" project..... :banghead:
DanC

Re: It's arrived, but insurance is a mess!

Post by DanC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Right, My Dormobile isn't complete as it doesn't have the wardrobe and front seat, it is still a factory Dormobile! Yours isn't complete but it is still a factory Carawagon, just insure it as such, I am not even sure how this has become and issue? The fittings are all removable anyway and the bed is present sooooo it is a camper end of! Re-fit the seats though. You need to get tough with the insurers Rob, they will try and mess you around but DO NOT take no for an answer.

Otherwise it looks great! Scan Ebay for a roof eh???
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
RobW

Post by RobW » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Without running water, bed (6 ft) and a separate seating area they won't quote. That's after a fairly long conversation with FJ (again). :banghead: :banghead: These need to be professionally fitted & photo's provided. It's my fault for actually answering the questions on the interior.

I can get a quote for a modified 109", but then can't convert that to a fitted camper on the same policy. They won't confirm insurance once it's fitted out until it's done.... Next stop is "Call Connections" to see what they say.

In hindsight I'd have been better off not bothering to bid.
DanC

Post by DanC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 pm

NO, NO, NO.... There was not a single Dormobile that came out of the factory with 'running water'! And what constitutes a separate seating area, presumably Carawagons can be configured for seating? And it has a six foot bed.... Get back on the phone to FJ (the contact I gave you) and tell them it is a Factory Conversion and the interior is irrelevant! I am sure that Patrick or Robin can provide Carawagon literature to back up the points...

I have contacts at both FJ and Heritage, if you continue to struggle I will email them, email me all the details Rob, this is madness.

Dan
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Rob, I believe you have come across the same people that I have been speaking to when I previously offered my business to FJ.
Not helpful at all.

Try RH or even NFU?
Muckitup
Info: I camp in a tent or sometimes a caravan

Post by Muckitup » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Rob have you had any luck with the insurance yet? As you may know Im doing a home built camper van(109) on the lines of a carawagon today I called few insurance companys an no luck cant give a quote on modifide vehicles till i spoke to Adrian Flux just tell them what ive done an they can cover me no probs. Neil let me know.
RobW

Post by RobW » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info. Interesting as Flux also use Chaucer as an underwriter. Is the base vehicle modified?

Might be further complications with the carawagon so everything on hold for that. Christmas and other stuff has also taken priority. I'm hoping to be in a position to restart the faffing after next weekend (ie a week into January).
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:11 pm

DanC: There was not a single Dormobile that came out of the factory with 'running water'!
WHAT?!! Every Land Rover Dormobile came out of the Martin Walter factory with a lower water tank equipped with a tap, which when opened enabled you to fill a kettle etc. How far do you want the water to run?!! I think you are getting confused with PUMPED water, which is not part of the motor caravan definition.
DanC

Post by DanC » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm

As an insurance issue, I don't believe this satisfies their definition of flowing water, they are mistaking modern and 60's camper technology. If this were the case Rob could just put a bottle of Evian in his truck, however I will be checking with the insurers.... As most Dormis have lost their original water bottles, including mine, is it no longer a camper?

Of course technically you are correct, but somewhat out of context in terms of Robs problems.
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Opening a tap on a container legally constitutes running water - up-ending a jerrycan or a bottle doesn't. Replacement jerrycans with taps at the bottom are easily available in France, if not in England.