Insurance - renewal time

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Peaceand

Insurance - renewal time

Post by Peaceand » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, I've spent the last hour on the phone ringing up the usual suspects, and I'm looking at about £145 this year.

Requirements are:
Insure me, a 26 year old.
Cover the Carawagon, and my 88"
Social, Domestic, pleasure and commuting
Salvage rights,
Mileage of 3000 each, with facility to be increased if required.
European breakdown/recovery
Agreed value of £3500 for the 88" and £8000 for the Carawagon
Dad as a named driver for both.
A bonus would be if I'm covered third party on other vehicles

My renewal with Footman James is £148

Lancaster don't cover campers, they have a sister company that does (surecover I think) but the Lancaster chap advised they wouldn't get anywhere near the FJ price.

Peter Best and RH won't do multi car insurance, and two seperate policies would be expensive

Adrian Flux were good, and have offered £146 for the two vehicles on separate policies.

Footman James have dropped the "drive any car" and haven't mentioned commuting in the renweal, so I will ring them tonight (my hours lunch break's over with) and see if I can get that corrected, and maybe get the price down a bit too.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
DanC

Re: Insurance - renewal time

Post by DanC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm

You must be in a good postcode area!! Is that kept off road? Mine was considerably more for the three LR's but unlimited mileage with FJ. Very much depends on the policy and the day, who are the underwriters and did you explain it was a camper?

Dan
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
RobW

Post by RobW » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm

It's £125 for my 88" with FJ. Unlimited mileage, 3rd party on other vehicles. Apparently commuting is covered under personal, but having a second car may be a reason for this (only gets driven to work about once a month).
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Quick update on this, after a couple of tip offs :tiphat: I rang RH again and spoke to somebody different, who assured me they do actually do multi-car policies, and the only problem may be that I drive the 88" every day.
However, as I have access to other vehicles (thanks Dad), even if I don't drive them often, they'll consider me anyway. Just waiting for a quote from them now.

Peter James were very friendly as well, but wanted a list of all modifications made to the vehicles via email, which I've sent and presumably they are going over that. Hopefully they won't be too nervous about the non-original engines.

So I'm now waiting to hear back from those two.

Dan - I've been careful to make sure they write "carawagon" on their forms, even spelling it out, and explaining that it's a factory-converted camper. So far the only company to take issue with that has been Lancaster.
Both kept off the road on driveways, I guess it must be a good postcode? :shrug:

Rob - check your FJ renewal when you get it, they will probably take off the 3rd party on other vehicles. But they are still offering unlimited mileage on both vehicles!
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Glad to hear RH have come to their senses Patrick.
As I told you, mine is a multi-car policy with RH, started with a single car policy with my first 109, Rex, then added Steptoe, then changed mid-term to Steptoe & my Carawagon, now 2 x Carawagons on the last renewal a few weeks ago (even though one is still a 'project').

As I found, RH do recognise Carawagon as a factory conversion on their system, and the only stipulation they made was that I must carry a fire extinguisher in both Carawagons because of the cookers.

Oh, and mine covers business class 1 and commuting, and driving other cars on 3rd party, even though I didn't ask!

Dan, we are classed as rural as we are in a small village.
Even though we are only 3 miles from the centre of Wakefield, at least half of that distance we're driving through agricultural and common land :neener:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 pm

RMS wrote:Glad to hear RH have come to their senses Patrick.
Even though we are only 3 miles from the centre of Wakefield, at least half of that distance we're driving through agricultural and common land :neener:
Only because they're too tight to pay for roads..... :neener:
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:43 pm

RobW wrote:
RMS wrote:Glad to hear RH have come to their senses Patrick.
Only because they're too tight to pay for roads..... :neener:
:laugh:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Update, RH are out of the running, part of the conditions their underwriters have is no commuting to work (Even if it is only a few miles through fields and villages). And they reckon that it's not covered under 'domestic' or 'personal' use.

Peter James were wonderful, but couldn't get near the FJ price, they gave £185.88 and an apology for not being able to match it. They were so helpful I've asked them to send me a quote this time next year.

Final instalment of this tale due tomorrow...

Patrick
bigdave
Info: Elizabeth 1967 Carawagon

Post by bigdave » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am

I've just finished "locking horns" with FJ
Renewal quote was £225 for Elizabeth
I got quotes from others for £130 so went back to FJ with them. Guess what? They matched the quote!
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Sorry I never finished this, Dave's post just reminded me.

FJ matched the Adrian Flux price of £146 so I stayed with them...Next year I may fib a bit and tell them that I've been quoted £100 elsewhere and see if they'll match that.

As other people have found, they are good at matching prices.