Roof box for Carawagon wanted

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
wienun

Roof box for Carawagon wanted

Post by wienun » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi, Folks !

as i got the carawagon roof rack mounted, that Jabbawocky made for me ( special thanks once again), i am now looking for a decent box up there.

The available space is 140 cm x 70 cm. So no standard (Euro)pallet size will fit.

Got already 2 quotes for an alli box made to order, but both way off my wallet ;-( 700,- or 1600.-€ !)

So how did you solve this problem ?

Alli ( non checker plate of course), Wood ? Wood would suit the Carawagon well, but will need much maintenance, repainting oftenly :shrug:

Should be (almost, at least) watertight, as in there, i want to store the chairs and, more important, our sleeping gear.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Stefan/wienun
RMS

Re: Roof box for Carawagon wanted

Post by RMS » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Have you seen the one we made for Patrick's; a bit big for normal use (height to fit 2 halves of the porta-potti) and we thought it would knock a few mpg off, but we averaged nearly 40mpg on our Morocco trip with it on when the other 200TDis were doing 35mpg with their smaller boxes!

Made of marine ply, the same ply we used to replace the roof woodwork, so a coat of yacht varnish every couple of years should keep it looking good.

We could have done a better job with the seal as it does leak, but it should be easy to sort out (we made ours in a couple of days before we set off, so didn't sort the seals out properly!).

It's made to fit the original wooden roof rack with the bars removed, but obviously something similar could be made to fit the Jabbawocky Special :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
wienun

Re: Roof box for Carawagon wanted

Post by wienun » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Robin,
yes, i saw some pictures of your car already, but never realized that it opens to the front. Not too bad an idea !

Jabbawockys design ( or better Searles ) with the supporting struts going straight up to the railing of the rack would then
lead to a solution with two angles at the front panel, from bottom to top first protruding (following the line of the supporting struts) and then recessing to make (some) more mpg.
Sealing will be an issue then. Maybe the lid could overlap the body (at least left/right/front), not sure about the top side with the hinges.
But a nice solution, you made :-)

Cheers

Stefan/wienun